The WSC Championship season preview

When Saturday Comes has published its annual guide to the season ahead, but as ever, it only does the Scottish Premier. As usual, 5 questions. Let's hear your thoughts.

1. Realistically, how will you do this season?

We should be looking to at least repeat the play-offs of last season, but this time there may be more than 3 teams capable of finishing ahead of us. Our injury worries look like they're going to be at the other end of the park this season. I'll say 5th.

2. Who did you like and dislike last season?

Liked Dumbarton for staying up despite the pre-season expectations. Disliked Dumbarton and Raith Rovers for allowing St. Mirren to catch and pass them.

3. What was the best moment of last season?

The final whistle in the League Cup Quarter Final at home to Dundee United which meant we would finally be getting our day at Hampden, having Hibs'd the QF stage in previous seasons against the likes of Inverness and St. Johnstone. Close second was finally getting the win over St. Mirren with one of the easiest derby wins I've seen at Scapa.

4. What was the worst moment of last season?

The nine league games and two play off games which followed Oyenuga's BBC Alba winner at Falkirk - not one win to speak of.

5. What one thing would most improve your matchday experience?

Continue letting away fans in the Cowshed will do for now. 

I think we'll finish anywhere from 4th-7th. 3rd and above is unrealistic given our (lack of) squad depth, and 8th & below would be a huge disappointment. I'd like to see us finish in a playoff position for no other reason than a couple of extra big games with a decent attendances.

I liked Morton for letting us win at Cappielow on what was the 364th day since a home league defeat for Morton. Good lols there. I disliked Dundee United because penalties.

2-2 at Easter Road. A second half Pars performance you could tug over.

Signing Gav.

Having a bigger 'singing section' in the home end, EEP was a bit flat at times last season.

We should be finishing ahead of two part time sides (no disrespect). There's no Hibs this time but we should be a mile behind Dundee United in reality and we'll be behind pretty much everyone else other than maybe Livingston in budget. With a bit of luck the promotion playoffs are possible. A long term injury to Dobbie might see us looking at the wrong end. Somewhere in between seems most likely.

From our division? Admiration yet again for what Dumbarton achieved, especially given how things looked before Xmas. Morton also did well from a small squad and virtually no strikers. Not sure I disliked anyone particularly.

The news on the Wednesday before the League season started that, completely out of the blue, Stephen Dobbie had returned. Playing-wise, winning at Hibs in the League Cup having trailed 1-0 at half time.

Losing an injury time goal to a 10 man Albion Rovers side to get ourselves knocked out of the Scottish Cup when a live tv money-spinning tie against Celtic awaited for the winners. Absolutely gutting.

Bigger crowds!

I think the playoffs is a realistic aim, I can't see us challengine for the title but 3rd or 4th is definitely do-able.

I liked Dumbarton, they continue to punch above their weight. Disliked Ayr, more because of their manager but they are gone anyway.

The equaliser on the final day at Hibs to cap off an amazing turnaround. Massive traveling support and it was sheer relief when that goal went it.

There was many pre-January, probably giving up our unbeaten derby record against Morton in such pathetic fashion.

Beer.

The aim is definitely the playoffs, but can see us finishing 5th again. Our squad is at least 3 players away from being complete though, and with some money coming in from the Rangers cup tie, a few quality signings could see us in 3rd/4th.

Liked Raith Rovers for giving us the best lols over the course of the season. Disliked Dundee Utd for somehow always scraping wins against us.

Nat. Just Nat.

Missing 3 penalties in one game was pretty special.

Standing section with beer available at East End would be glorious!

Who knows? 8th would be amazing and I don't think it's beyond us but we have a lot of new players again and our gaffer still isn't quite sure what is best 11 is. If we can sort our team early enough and preferably not have to make wholesale changes in January, I think we can get 8th.

Jim Duffy and Ray McKinnon. I've got a lot of time for Jim Duffy and he's done a good job at Morton, his statement about not being a 12 year old boy in response to Neil Lennon saying he offered him a square go was tremendous as well. Ray McKinnon is a horses arse and will remain a horses arse until he learns some humility - so Ray McKinnon will always be a horses arse.

Vaughan's goal at Tannadice which basically confirmed us as safe, barring a last day miracle. We have a lot to thank the wee man for and that composed finish was just lovely to watch as it rolled over the line.

This could actually go into our best moment as it changed our season, but I don't think I've felt quite as low after being humped out of the Scottish Cup by Bonnyrigg. I've given it the worst moment because (a) I felt like stabbing myself at full-time and (b) it has served to give Junior bawbags and our numpty friends from Clydebank ammunition and what they see as justification for their woeful "quality isn't any better in the seniors" pish.

Lower the ticket prices to an acceptable level for watching part time footballers. If we could fill the empty seats in the home end as well that would be magic. And get a decent bar going, currently our bar has Tennents on draught which tastes like the pipes haven't been cleaned since 8BC, a Belhaven Best tap which isn't in use (so they serve cans of it instead) and the rest is all canned stuff - not even draught coke for mixers. Get the pipes cleaned, the Best tap fixed and perhaps speak to the lovely Loch Lomond Brewery just up the road if they'd like to supply some of their ale's, whether that be via a tap which they can change the ale to suit any they are promoting or even just bottles of the stuff. The choice is poor, but I suppose the club will argue that nobody uses the bar so why stock all this stuff.

1.  Realistically, I think 8th or 9th is likely.  I honestly expect us to be pretty hopeless as things currently stand.  I'd be glad to still be in this division next time.

2.  I liked Dumbarton for what they achieved and dislike Queens for what they didn't.

3.  Watching Dobbie' s two goals early on at home to Falkirk.  The signing was exciting, but none of us could be sure that he still had it.  That game proved he did.  Both goals were magnificent and we were off on a great run.

4.  Albion Rovers away in the Cup.  Having got out of jail with a late equaliser, we still contrived to lose it and miss out on a big Cup tie at home against Celtic.  That was a sickening low, during a time when they were coming thick and fast.

5.  All four sides of our shabby yet characterful ground being open.  

We can finish 8th, and that would be another incredible achievement for the club given our circumstances. Finishing there relies on one of Livi/QOTS having a bad season however, and I can't help but feel that our luck may well run out this time. 9th looks to have our name written all over it. 

Hibernian for being a great bunch of lads, having CumDog and the soundest m9s out there...oh and giving us Sam Stanton:wub: Dundee United go right into the dislike pile, purely for the hatred Ray McKinnon has for us. You could see the seethe and minter splashed all over his puss after we beat them twice, and got the point we needed to stay up against them at Tannadice. 

That game against Dundee United where we secured survival. It had everything, four goals, some stunning saves, a late onslaught...and Andy Stirling being interviewed on TV wearing funny glasses. The tension darn nearly killed me, but the feeling at the end summed up why I love football. The return of Christian Nadé and signing of my boy Stuart Carswell come second and third.

Apparently we lost to a Junior team or something, and failed to score against them over 180 minutes of football. Hopefully someone can confirm, as I spent that evening pouring acid directly into my eyes instead.

Pick one of the following: Our board could stop treating the fans with sheer contempt (as shown today by the closure of the season ticket gate, so they don't have to be near us common scum), the prices are stupidly high and are putting off even the most loyal fans, we should come to some sort of arrangement for away fans to get into the bar at the stadium, we should turn the music down pre-match and during half-time (or even just turn it off...) and it should be enshrined in law that we must shoot towards the Castle Road End in the second half of every game.

I like WSC. Always found it a bit annoying that a magazine that's deliberately anti-big football does so little to cover the Scottish game.

Anyway

We've gone through a lot of changes this summer. Serious injuries to 2 of our midfielders were a major setback and we've had to react bu changing our recruitment. It always takes us a while to settle so our early season form won't be indicative of how we can expect to do. As always, 8th is the target. 9th isn't a disaster if we stay up via the play-offs. We'll have a good go at things but it's going to be difficult and we'll be most people's favourites for 9th position. We can defy those expectations, but we'll need a bit of luck.

Disliked Ayr. We were absolutely garbage against them, but they did provide us with a memorable game in terrible conditions on Christmas Eve. Pre-match hospitality in the bowling club beside Sommerset Park was appreciated and the infamous "boaby pie" was tasty. Liked Morton. Games between ourselves and Morton were very close and Jim Duffy was honest enough to admit that his side benefited from some poor decisions. He seems to be an honest guy when assessing games. Until their late season collapse they made the promotion push pretty interesting.

Dumbarton 4 - 0 Raith Rovers. I don't know if anybody would have expected Raith to be relegation candidates last season. The Lewis Vaughan/Ryan Stevenson deal worked out way better for us than for them. The 4-0 game at our ground was a rare dominant performance by The Sons. Robert Thompson had a brilliant battle with Raith full back Jason Thompson and it was our guy who came out on top - having a contribution in scoring or creating all 4 Sons goals. As fine an individual performance as we've seen for a long time in a Dumbarton shirt.

Taking Bonnyrigg Rose to a replay. If truth be told, we didnt deserve the chance of a replay. We were utterly woeful at New Dundas Park and didnt deserve a 2nd crack at them. The junior side should have put us out at the first attempt and it was no surprise when they did so in the replay. As much as it was a low point, it acted as a catalyst for change and we turned our season around after that defeat. It's arguable that it was the kick up the arse we needed if I can take a small positive from the worst moment of last season.

Only one thing? Damn. I'd like our fans to be a wee bit less cynical and quick to show displeasure. Getting a bit of positive atmosphere going throughout the home fans would be nice. We've been relegation favourites for our entire stint in the Championship and there's a growing acceptance of the inevitable, leading to a generally dour mood amongst home supporters.

Since thats never going to happen, can I have some Half Man Half Biscuit over the stadium PA before every game and during half time? The Referee's Alphabet would be a particular highlight.

If we get 100% out of everyone and steer clear of too many injuries we could get 3rd or 4th. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same as last season, hovering about mid table.

Liked Morton for giving us nine points. Disliked Falkirk as we are hopeless against them.

Keeper Sean Murdoch recovering from his hair transplant injury to save us from certain relegation with David Hutton in goals.

August-November

Ban minute's silences/applause.

Excited to see this thread as the WSC preview is a must-buy every season for me. Will have a look next time I'm near WH Smith.

As for the mighty, mighty Pars...

We finished 5th last season, so should be looking to better that, which means a play-off place. The league, on paper, is weaker. I don't think a title push is impossible but it's very unlikely. We just don't have enough strength in depth. Our best XI have shown they are a good team and hard to beat but beyond that it's a few untried youngsters. Callum Smith and Scott Lochhead have done well so far but a couple of new faces are needed if we want to make a serious push for promotion.

Dumbarton's fans are great but their club seems to be run by greedy b*****ds. Paul Dixon's late winner at Falkirk was funny. 

The New Year win over the wee team. Was as comfortable a win as we've had over the Rovers in many years. How Clark didn't score a hat-trick that day, I'll never know. Fans were loving it too.

There were many dire moments during the first few months but missing 3 penalties in one half against Dundee United was historic. Was laughing when the third one was saved by Bell.

Not having to stand in front of the same dribbling goober. Seem to end up right beside this guy at every away match and he's a complete, raging simpleton who makes shitty jokes throughout the 90 minutes. Detestable.

4 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

We can finish 8th, and that would be another incredible achievement for the club given our circumstances. Finishing there relies on one of Livi/QOTS having a bad season however, and I can't help but feel that our luck may well run out this time. 9th looks to have our name written all over it. 

Hibernian for being a great bunch of lads, having CumDog and the soundest m9s out there...oh and giving us Sam Stanton:wub: Dundee United go right into the dislike pile, purely for the hatred Ray McKinnon has for us. You could see the seethe and minter splashed all over his puss after we beat them twice, and got the point we needed to stay up against them at Tannadice. 

That game against Dundee United where we secured survival. It had everything, four goals, some stunning saves, a late onslaught...and Andy Stirling being interviewed on TV wearing funny glasses. The tension darn nearly killed me, but the feeling at the end summed up why I love football. The return of Christian Nadé and signing of my boy Stuart Carswell come second and third.

Apparently we lost to a Junior team or something, and failed to score against them over 180 minutes of football. Hopefully someone can confirm, as I spent that evening pouring acid directly into my eyes instead.

Pick one of the following: Our board could stop treating the fans with sheer contempt (as shown today by the closure of the season ticket gate, so they don't have to be near us common scum), the prices are stupidly high and are putting off even the most loyal fans, we should come to some sort of arrangement for away fans to get into the bar at the stadium, we should turn the music down pre-match and during half-time (or even just turn it off...) and it should be enshrined in law that we must shoot towards the Castle Road End in the second half of every game.

Pretty much agree with all of that, with the exception of 4. For me, this was between the hours of approximately 16.46 and 16.49 on 18 February 2017.

I think we'll be looking at a lower midtable finish, there really isn't much depth or quality bar one obvious exception, but Dobbie can hopefully keep us clear of any trouble.

Morton last season were the standard for other sides like ourselves by just being a very well drilled side that could grind out wins even when they are depleted plus their bodying of us at Palmerston was a fantastic display. Dislike Falkirk because most of our games are usually absolute stinkers to watch.

Our lord and Saviour Stephen Dobbie returning. Not since the 1996 Movie 'Space Jam' has one man managed to carry an unruly gang of misfits to avoid oblivion. Bill Murray would also be more effective up front than Lyndon Dykes.

The 3 months of football we went without winning a game but in particular getting bodied by Albion Rovers in the mercifully short lived Jim Thomson era.

I think the quality of food and the selection of food can be greatly improved. The choice hasn't changed in the 15 or so years I've been watching and the quality is not good. I'm not expecting michelin star quality but something with a little more care or makes each visit seem different would be great. Another thing would be to offer an alternative option in the summer league cup groups or end of season games like a cold drink or Ice Cream as a one off would be a nice touch. Beer would also be super.

I'm hopeful we can sneak into the playoffs, probably by finishing 4th, but I can't see us challenging for or getting promoted. I wouldn't even be too surprised to see us finish 5th or even 6th. Some ICT fans have us pegged for 1st or 2nd over on CTO, some of the same ones who thought we would finish 2nd last season :lol: I think expectations need to be seriously cooled this time around. The team looks very poor and some of the new players haven't impressed at all so far. Indeed only Seedorf has looked good out of the 10 or 11 players that Robbo has brought in. With Fon Williams and one other senior player (rumoured to be Raven) free to leave but with no takers any other reinforcements are on hold for the time being. There remains the potential for County to nip in for Draper before the window closes as well which would be a big loss. 

Liked Dundee because we got some points off them. Disliked everyone else because we usually lost but shout out to County who we never defeated at all last season which was particularly crap.

A 3 - 1 pumping of Dundee last year showed that we could play good football and beat the teams around us quite easily. Mentally, Foran decided to completely change the setup after that game and we soon went on a horrendous run. The last minute goal against Rangers was nice but best moments were few and far between.

Finally getting relegated was probably a relief more than anything else. Worst moment was the 3 - 0 pumping we got from Hamilton. With Billy Mckay back we had a slight shot in the arm and the mood around the club was definitely lifted. Foran than lined us up with the flatest midfield 4 in a 442 I've ever seen and had us lumping long balls over Mckays head for him to chase. In a game where we had to show that we could fight out way out of trouble Accies romped to an easy 3 - 0 win and Foran slated the players on the radio after. At this point I knew we were heading for the drop.

Probably go somewhere other than an ICT game on a Saturday TBH.

Archived