Moving to Glasgow

Girth

Lived in the Gorbals for 3 years. It has a bad rep based on the past, but it's a decent area now. Mostly modern flats, close enough to walk into the city centre and I never felt unsafe living there.

I'm in Highgrove Court in Renfrew in one of these flats. Just moved in a few weeks ago, but stayed in a different block with my folks when I was younger. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59183188.html

Bus stop is right outside on the high street, 15 minute bus on the motorway into Glasgow. £12 in a taxi.

You're a ten minute walk from Xscape/Braehead which has everything you need. Ten minutes bus into Paisley as well.

I prefer this build to the Ferry Village ones as the rooms are bigger and has a separate kitchen where as the Ferry Village seems to be lounge/kitchen open plan.

I'm in Highgrove Court in Renfrew in one of these flats. Just moved in a few weeks ago, but stayed in a different block with my folks when I was younger. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59183188.html

Bus stop is right outside on the high street, 15 minute bus on the motorway into Glasgow. £12 in a taxi.

You're a ten minute walk from Xscape/Braehead which has everything you need. Ten minutes bus into Paisley as well.

I prefer this build to the Ferry Village ones as the rooms are bigger and has a separate kitchen where as the Ferry Village seems to be lounge/kitchen open plan.

Thought you were barred for life?

Hello all
Wasn't sure where to put this thread exactly but this seemed right enough.
Anyway, I've been looking at leaving London (standard of living is crap) and after recent visits to Glasgow, I really dig it.
Since then, I've been researching my job role up there and it looks like I'd pretty much get the same money (if not more!) and have an ace standard of living.
Anyway, just after some advice, be looking to move up end of March (when my lease expires).
  • What are the pros and cons of Glasgow?
  • Which are the best areas/worst areas to live?
  • How can I avoid most of the old firm cretins?
  • How is the job market (finance) generally?
  • Do particular areas have a good community feel?
Many thanks!

What's your budget

51 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Looked at a flat in Broomhill today, liked it but the area seemed a bit cut-off from the West End as it was a 10 minute walk back down onto Dumbarton Road. Anyone stayed in there and got opinions?

Girlfriend used to stay about there, it's not too bad in terms of distance to the West End, 20-25 minutes depending on walking speed etc. if you go the Clarence Drive way etc. There's a few decent cafe/restaurant type places further up Crow Road, Wee Lochan, Kothel etc. depending on your tastes and the Hyndland Cafe is very decent for a breakfast or that, and that's Crow Road side of Clarence Drive.

All in all not too bad, in terms of time I'd say.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Looked at a flat in Broomhill today, liked it but the area seemed a bit cut-off from the West End as it was a 10 minute walk back down onto Dumbarton Road. Anyone stayed in there and got opinions?

Did London not work out?

I stayed near Broomhill Primary for while.
I hated it and moved back to G12 as soon as possible.
Parking is a fucking nightmare after 6pm and it's miles away from Byres Rd and any decent shops or pubs.

The Wee Lochan is a good restaurant though.

On 14/08/2017 at 17:23, Boghead ranter said:

The Luftwaffe had the best idea where Clydebank is concerned.

The Clydebank Blitz was terrible...

Spoiler

Left half the dump standing...