Central league division 2

Gartcairn Army

Highlights from the Ants v Ashfield

Great 3 points for the Ants in what is a really tight league, agree with Army that it looks to be between those teams, Anybody seems capable of beating anyone on the day in this league, been crazy this year

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Stants1902 said:

Highlights from the Ants v Ashfield

Great 3 points for the Ants in what is a really tight league, agree with Army that it looks to be between those teams, Anybody seems capable of beating anyone on the day in this league, been crazy this year

It is safe to say that it will go down to the last few games in this league. going to be an exciting but nervous run in for all for sure. 

Gartcairn 7 Lanark 1

It would always have been hard with a full squad but without 3 regulars and a clearly unfit centre back who came off injured for the 2nd game in a row lanark took a proper pumping. 

1 down after 90 seconds we scored an excellent equaliser on 6 minutes but were quickly 3-1 down and then to 10 men on 30 minutes when Cammy Lawson swore at the ref after he awarded a penalty for a handball by the attacking player!  Couldn't see it myself due to the limitations of the view at Gartcairn, my least favourite ground anywhere.  Gareth Hallford saved the penalty but worse was to follow.  That said we had one effort excellently headed away from under the bar and Gartcairn;'s keeper pulled off two fine saves before  we went in 4-1 down at half time.

Mark Haddow played his first game since joining from Carluke. I believe the injury prone CB also played for Carluke but will need to get much fitter if he is to last. The new manager bounce has not happened and all we can aspire to is mid table mediocrity at best and bottom 3 at worst.

Although we plugged away until the end, we weren't much opposition for Gartcairn who are definitely the best looking squad we have played this season.

1 hour ago, Ralston Row said:

Very unfair that last comment as the ants have a right couple of smashers in their squad

What is unfair about my opinion?

Gartcairn hammered us.  St Ant's, from memory did well to get a draw against us at home, therefore from my experience,  so far this season, Gartcairn are the best looking squad we have played.

1 hour ago, bc57 said:

What is unfair about my opinion?

Gartcairn hammered us.  St Ant's, from memory did well to get a draw against us at home, therefore from my experience,  so far this season, Gartcairn are the best looking squad we have played.

I don't think he was meaning best looking in the same context as you are - a couple of smashers being the clue.  ;)

On 18 February 2018 at 18:31, Bellshilljunior said:

Getting very interesting at the Top, 5 vying for 3 slots by the looks of it.. Every game a cup final till end of the season

league table.JPG

Fair play to Ashfield in getting 17 games played considering the weather conditions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone keep a record of red cards issued to their club?  I think we have had 2, one in the Scottish.

Carluke must be close to double figures this season. They must have some depth of squad to cope with the suspensions.

Gartcairn 3 v 2 St Ants

Excellent result for the Cairn today but we made hard work of it. 3 0 up and in total control and stopped playing. Ants did very well to get back to 3 2 and chances at both ends could have seen the points going elsewhere. Ants had a goal chopped off in the last minute but IMO it was a clear foul on the keeper.

didnt play anywhere near our best today but 3 points is all that matters.

Top 4 involved today. Will be interested to hear the stories from both matches given the tight scorelines.

Tip my cap to Albert. I thought they'd have folded by now but they are very much in the running with games in hand. Signing John Renwick from Carluke was astute. 'Auld heid' will hold them in good stead.

Ashfield 1 V 2 Royal Albert.

Another hard earned three points for the Albert at Saracens Park.

Ashfield took the lead after 10mins Keigan Parker was out on the corner flag on the left hand side of the park and his cross somehow found its way into the goal off the backpost.

Albert equalised on the half hour mark when Alan Campbell side footed a shot into the top corner of the net from 18yds.      The Albert went in front just before half time when a shot from the edge of the box was knocked in by Jordan Rennie.

The second half the Albert had chances to kill the game off but couldn't convert any of their chances.  With about 30mins to go Ashfield were reduced to ten men after a second yellow card,  but that seemed to rally them and they finished the game the stronger team, they missed couple of really good chances, hit the bar and Smith in the Albert goal produced a wonder save  to keep the Albert in front.

Albert worked hard and defended well especially in the second half, but should have been further ahead especially in the first half.

Like all teams the Albert need a run of games to get the match fitness back,  play the Ants next week which again will be another hard contested game .

The Albert have to play the Ants twice,   Vale of Clyde twice, and also Johnstone Burgh twice,  and Carluke  all will be really hard games as there are no easy games in this league,   but its nice to be involved at the top end of the league for a change and see were the season takes us come the end of the season.

Gartcairn 3 v 2 St Ants
Excellent result for the Cairn today but we made hard work of it. 3 0 up and in total control and stopped playing. Ants did very well to get back to 3 2 and chances at both ends could have seen the points going elsewhere. Ants had a goal chopped off in the last minute but IMO it was a clear foul on the keeper.
didnt play anywhere near our best today but 3 points is all that matters.
The Ants had a fantastic 2nd half. Would've deserved a point had the 3rd goal been allowed. Seen pictures, GoPro goal footage and the Gartcairn highlights, still struggling to see where the foul was. Out of jail on that one I think.

A referee supervisor was at Vale of Leven. His report would make interesting reading!

2nd sending off summed up the refs day. He forgot he’d already booked the player in the 1st half when he booked him for the handbags. Took him a fair bit of time to realise hence the confusion when he eventually showed the red.

Archived