Smells

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

What's the smell you get in old sheds? Bit hard to describe, but it's when you've got loads of old machinery and the like. Anyway, I'll choose that smell. And if anyone can bottle it up into an eau de cologne, I'd buy it. 

Excellent shout!

A sort of mixture of damp wood, oily rags, old tools and stuff.

I used to wonder how my dad had such a collection of old sh*te that he never used.

Now I know 'cause I've got one myself built up over the years:blink:

The Horseshoe isn't a proper pub. Its what people who don't go to proper pubs, think a proper pub will be like.

I ken. It was offered up as the most easily imaginable cliche. But, equally, at c10am it does have about the best example in the city centre of the aroma I'm trying to describe.

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I ken. It was offered up as the most easily imaginable cliche. But, equally, at c10am it does have about the best example in the city centre of the aroma I'm trying to describe.

They probably keep some glasses of stale beer to create the illusion.

Plenty others have the real thing.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The Horseshoe isn't a proper pub. Its what people who don't go to proper pubs, think a proper pub will be like.

Where would you recommend nearby? I usually go there if I'm waiting for a train out of Central Station just because the alternatives look like wine bars.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Where would you recommend nearby? I usually go there if I'm waiting for a train out of Central Station just because the alternatives look like wine bars.

Any of the ones at the bottom of Hope Street are fine establishments.

Not really, they are all coups, except Denholms it's good. The ones on Waterloo Street are good for beer selection, but take you back to the real pub debate.

I even prefer Yes Bar opposite the Horseshoe.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Any of the ones at the bottom of Hope Street are fine establishments.

Not really, they are all coups, except Denholms it's good. The ones on Waterloo Street are good for beer selection, but take you back to the real pub debate.

I even prefer Yes Bar opposite the Horseshoe.

Nearly had a heads gone when I read that first line. Lucky I read on and realised you were being sarcastic. Rhoderick Dhu is generally half decent though I prefer the Admiral which is a few minutes further up Waterloo Street. I have a friend that swears by the Toby Jug, I think as they sell bottles of some piss water or other for 99p a pop. I fucking detest the place.

Archived