League 1 Underrated Players

There was a thread created earlier asking who each teams star players were and who would score the most goals for their respective teams. Got me wondering what players are maybe underrated or not recognised as much by the media or other fans but who fans know that without their team wouldn't be nearly as good. Not someone who takes all the headlines or glory but who in doing their job allows others to thrive and the team play better.

For Ayr I'd say Jamie Adams. Doesn't score a lot of goals but breaks up the play and can be a nightmare to play against due to his physical way of playing. Sometimes frustrates Ayr fans due to him being liable for a booking or two but his job can allow the more technical players like Forrest or this season McDaid and Moffat to perform better.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without a doubt our keeper Willie Muir, kept us in games countless times and is really a solid keeper. When he left for East Fife last year the failure to replace him shows how much of an important part of our squad he is.

Always felt Ricky Little does not get near enough love

From Arbroath he does and tbf he has been in about 4 teams of the year but agree that he's not really recognised as a very good centre half at this level, because he is. Not a huge guy for a centre half but reads the game so well and wins so much in the air.

I don't get the Kane thing for us. A bit of a bombscare everywhere apart from at Centre Half but I think he's only liked by fans because every other teams fans were laughing when we signed him. Nowhere near our team if everyone's fit for me. Decent squad player

I don't get the Kane thing for us. A bit of a bombscare everywhere apart from at Centre Half but I think he's only liked by fans because every other teams fans were laughing when we signed him. Nowhere near our team if everyone's fit for me. Decent squad player

I think Doug it's partly due to he always puts in a shift out there and seems to give a shit about the team rather than personal interest !

I think Doug it's partly due to he always puts in a shift out there and seems to give a shit about the team rather than personal interest !

My biggest pet hate comment. They get paid to try. That's the minimum. I would run my ass in to the ground but I'm no very guid!

Davo

I'd throw Thompson in before Davo. We notice the difference when Thompson isn't in the team. We all unclentch when Davo isn't.

I would say Adam Cummins for Qp. Arguably one of our most consistent and reliable performers from last season but didn't get anywhere near as much plaudits as Mcgeever , whilst also being our 2nd top scorer last season which is great for a centre half.

Have not seen the 2 teams coming down/coming up but of the five from last season who may still be at that side I have always liked:

Alan Reid AR

Jonathan Page EF

Ian Flanagan Alloa

The wee guy for QP- Brady?

Robertson Stranraer.

Mind you maybe they are not underrated and I have misunderstood the post!

I would say Adam Cummins for Qp. Arguably one of our most consistent and reliable performers from last season but didn't get anywhere near as much plaudits as Mcgeever , whilst also being our 2nd top scorer last season which is great for a centre half.

That the same one that played for Ayr a few years back? Can't really remember what he was like but I'm sure we had someone with the same name as that.

Chris Kane was rock solid for us last season in a number of different positions. As was Pat Slattery. Neither are likely to stand out with mazy runs or spectacular goals but both put in terrific shifts when we were placed in a backs to the wall situation, as we were on numerous occasions throughout the campaign...

Archived