Overrated "Iconic" Songs

Unleash The Nade

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 18:35, Highland Capital said:

Queen have some great songs - Bohemian Rhapsody isn't one of them.  Same goes for John Lennon - Imagine is alright, but he has better.

Born In The USA is an unusual one for me.  It was never one of my favourite Bruce Springsteen songs, but when I saw him play it live I realised how powerful it can be.  Often misinterpreted as well, with many only listening properly to the chorus and thinking it's a patriotic anthem.

I'm certain there was an American president, or presidential candidate, who used Born in the USA during his campaigns.

Most of David Bowies music is complete pish "ground control to major Tom"  fucking pish.

Folk saying the Who's stuff is all pish, not having that, Dr Jimmy is simply a fantastic song. Describes my late teenage years to a T (without the rapey bit, more consensual obviously).

Eta. Would also like to add, i've been in the 5.15 situation as well, great times.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:36, DA Baracus said:

I'm certain there was an American president, or presidential candidate, who used Born in the USA during his campaigns.

Maybe if it had been "Born to Boogie" I would have voted for him - if I was American that is.

Nothing Compares 2U by Sinead O'Connor is an awful dirge.

Everybody Hurts by R.E.M similarly so. R.E.M have put out some right good tunes down the years (The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight, Great Beyond, Losing My Religion to name a few) - this isn't one of them.

One by U2

I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith - Fantastic band through the 70s, 80s and 90s (even a couple of good tracks in 2000/2001) but this is overplayed pish and the one song that some folk seem to hold as their standard bearing.

Nothing Compares 2U by Sinead O'Connor is an awful dirge.
Everybody Hurts by R.E.M similarly so. R.E.M have put out some right good tunes down the years (The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight, Great Beyond, Losing My Religion to name a few) - this isn't one of them.
One by U2
I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith - Fantastic band through the 70s, 80s and 90s (even a couple of good tracks in 2000/2001) but this is overplayed pish and the one song that some folk seem to hold as their standard bearing.

Hard to argue with those picks. I think you can pretty much chuck any big-hit ballad into that list though as they're usually massively depressing, miserable crap that you need to be in that kind of mood to appreciate, and/or radio just plays them to death.

Archived