League 1 star players.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

I actually don't think we will win the league. Our first choice 11 is probably good enough, but we are going into the first game of the season with an untried youngster starting. Bigger squads than this have been fucked by injuries and suspension. Losing more than 2 starter's could be enough to absolutely f**k things up.

Shhh Heretic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually don't think we will win the league. Our first choice 11 is probably good enough, but we are going into the first game of the season with an untried youngster starting. Bigger squads than this have been fucked by injuries and suspension. Losing more than 2 starter's could be enough to absolutely f**k things up.

Exactly what happened to us two years ago. We wouldn't have won the league anyway but we would've kept us with Dunfermline for longer.

Players will get injured, it's inevitable. Title winning teams have players who are good enough to plug holes whenever it's required.

7 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Exactly what happened to us two years ago. We wouldn't have won the league anyway but we would've kept us with Dunfermline for longer.

Players will get injured, it's inevitable. Title winning teams have players who are good enough to plug holes whenever it's required.

Our issue is we have no idea of those players plugging the gaps are any good.

Our issue is we have no idea of those players plugging the gaps are any good.

Most teams in this league are in the same boat. So are we to a certain extent. Our bench is made up mainly of boys with a couple of first team players. I doubt we'll get to the stage where we are only putting out 3 or 4 subs like most teams do but if the likes of Moffat gets injured it could be tricky.

I think your starting XI is more than good enough for this level. From what your fans are saying you could do with an extra defender but people have said McHattie might be resigning. The only reason I think we'll beat you to the title is that below your starting XI you've not got much cover. If Buchanan or Barr or Vaughan gets injured you might be struggling.

I genuinely believe that the board will shite it and we'll make more signings if necessary. That or Sim will take over and we'll have Thai royalty investing in the club... 

Much like all clubs that this level, I'd imagine we'll supplement with loanees later on too. 

Sorry - didn't realise he went to Dundee. I guess that didn't flower, when he ended up at Stirling?

He got a bad injury after about a month I think which kept him out for ages and he's a guy that really struggles with his weight sometimes and he couldn't get back to the fitness he was. When he first signed for us after Stirling he was in horrendous shape and had been like that his whole season with Stirling. (still top scorer for them)

But he got into shape a few months in and he's back to his best. He's getting close to 200 games for us I'm sure and Im sure I read he's our 6th all time top scorer.

Arbroath Legend.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Injuries absolutely torpedoed our chances of a play off spot last season. A small squad with a good starting 11 is high risk, high reward I suppose. I suspect how we do this season will be pretty heavily at the mercy of how many injuries we pick up as well.

13 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

We've tried underplaying our ability for years and it's no fun. So this year we are going to the other extreme, been enjoyable so far

Exactly, I've even taken down my miserable signature......for now anyway, no doubt somewhere around November to February it'll be misery as usual.

Looking at the fixtures we're away to Arbroath in the depths of winter, just thinking about the Peterhead 2nd replay at Gayfield still makes me shiver.

13 hours ago, rw89 said:

I genuinely believe that the board will shite it and we'll make more signings if necessary. That or Sim will take over and we'll have Thai royalty investing in the club... 

Much like all clubs that this level, I'd imagine we'll supplement with loanees later on too. 

You would like to hope so. 

More likely is Eric Drysdale turning out to blame the fans for the small squad. 

Flannigan and Cawley, as already mentioned, while Andy Graham, Daryll Meggatt, and Neil Parry will be important players at the back. It looks like we're going to struggle up front, at the moment.

Adam Martin could end up shining for us. Tricksy and determined on the wing, he's been remarkably good at getting past players, and harassing them into making mistakes when off the ball. Fingers crossed for him.

Guest bernardblack

Mark Millar for us. Arguably, every team in the league would have liked to sign him this season and I'm still surprised we did.

Archived