League 1 star players.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbf they were massively handicapped by Gary Locke, their squad looked ok. Still think it's a bit of a riddy coming down to this league and acting billy big baws slagging guys like McCord though.

He was one of Alloa's main players in a side that finished just 2 points behind Raith not too long ago.

Pretty rich coming from the Angus version:lol:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say technically, Ryan McCord could be a Premiership player. Unfortunately, due to fitness, pace, tackling, positioning issues (if he plays in a midfield 2) he is currently playing at his level, top end part time in League 1. I expect guys like Danny Denholm, Tom O'Brien and Stevie Doris to stand out more this year than Pongo, although I do think he is a good player at this level. In particular Stevie Doris has looked unbelievable in pre season so far, and the last few months of last season he was consistently turning out excellent performances week in week out. He won't score a barrowload of goals, but his ability to hold off defenders, hold the ball up and deal with high balls that fly towards him is outstanding for this level.

I'd say technically, Ryan McCord could be a Premiership player. Unfortunately, due to fitness, pace, tackling, positioning issues (if he plays in a midfield 2) he is currently playing at his level, top end part time in League 1.

I'd agree with that. I think McCord is a very capable footballer but whether it's attitude, personality or quite simply a fondness for a fish supper he's a part-time footballer. And there's nothing wrong with that either, he seems happy enough.

Got a bit of a raw deal at Raith, I reckon, but he wasn't upto playing in the four man midfield which McKinnon played pre-January window, after which McCord virtually disappeared. Worth a punt as a lower-end Championship side, didn't work out. So be it. I've little doubt he'll play well against us.

Appreciate it's tough to take when people are mocking your heros, but Ryan McCord was a poor player for Raith Rovers. The technical ability is there, but he was painfully slow and any starts he made saw him subbed around the 60 minute mark with him blowing out his arse. I don't think he adapted well to full time football and struggled with his fitness. 

He'll probably run the show against us, but that's the way it goes. 

What's happened to Allan Forrest, Scotland under 21 call up last season and now not even mentioned here

Most Ayr fans including myself have been saying that Forrest will be our best player this year since he burst on to the scene but he's never quite done it. Top scorer last year but definitely wasn't our best player.

Hopefully full time training means that he can bulk up a bit as his biggest weakness is his inability to shrug people of when dribbling, gets knocked off the ball too easily. I'm hoping he pushes on and starts playing to his full potential.

What's happened to Allan Forrest, Scotland under 21 call up last season and now not even mentioned here

Think he's been injured pre season. McCall has said he's one of their best players though. Just seen him on highlights and he looks a threat.

Think there's a lot of decent players in this league this season, hopefully be more enjoyable than last years league. A league that consisted of 4/5 clubs setting up to shitefest it every week so they didn't get relegated and head into the abyss.

Some of the home games last season were brutal to watch as clubs came playing not to win just not to get beat.

6 losses last year, 5 at home says it all. When we played away it was more enjoyable as the games were more open.

Think it'll be like that every week this season. Nobody with anything to lose.

Each club you've got a good group of guys. Just my opinion but guys I think will be big threats and big players at other clubs..

Raith - Buchanan, Vaughan, Barr and Spence

Ayr - Moffat, McDaid, Forrest

Alloa - Cawley, Cook, Graham

Albion - Trouten, Marr

East Fife - Duggan, Wilkie, Page

Stranraer - Hammill, Woods, Anderson, Agnew

Forfar - Easton, McCallum, Cox

Airdrie - Andy Ryan

Can't really think of any QP players off the top of my head but they've always had a decent core too.

Looking forward to it all getting started.

4 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'd say technically, Ryan McCord could be a Premiership player. Unfortunately, due to fitness, pace, tackling, positioning issues (if he plays in a midfield 2) he is currently playing at his level, top end part time in League 1. I expect guys like Danny Denholm, Tom O'Brien and Stevie Doris to stand out more this year than Pongo, although I do think he is a good player at this level. In particular Stevie Doris has looked unbelievable in pre season so far, and the last few months of last season he was consistently turning out excellent performances week in week out. He won't score a barrowload of goals, but his ability to hold off defenders, hold the ball up and deal with high balls that fly towards him is outstanding for this level.

Doris has been a very good player for many years - a standout in Shearin's 2011 team. Was a surprise when Arbroath let him go.

Doris has been a very good player for many years - a standout in Shearin's 2011 team. Was a surprise when Arbroath let him go.

We never let him go, just couldn't stand in his way of a move to full time football with Dundee. Also had trials at Birmingham.

Raith - Buchanan, Vaughan, Barr and Spence

Ayr - Moffat, McDaid, Forrest

Alloa - Cawley, Cook, Graham

Albion - Trouten, Marr

East Fife - Duggan, Wilkie, Page

Stranraer - Hammill, Woods, Anderson, Agnew

Forfar - Easton, McCallum, Cox

Airdrie - Andy Ryan

If that's the star players of every other team in this league, then we really should be winning the league this season fairly comfortable. It won't be like that though as it's the Rovers and they never do stuff the easy way.

Of all those names, Andy Ryan is the only one that strikes fear but the rest of their team will be unknown youth players so that will be all they'll have presumably..

3 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

If that's the star players of every other team in this league, then we really should be winning the league this season fairly comfortable. It won't be like that though as it's the Rovers and they never do stuff the easy way.

Of all those names, Andy Ryan is the only one that strikes fear but the rest of their team will be unknown youth players so that will be all they'll have presumably..

Hubris, for fucksakes.

12 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Most people think their team 'never does things the easy way'. That's because most people continually overestimate how good their team is.

Most people think their team 'never does things the easy way'. That's because most people continually overestimate how good their team is.

Agree. I like Rovers but a few getting over confident. They'll be in for a tough game every week that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Agree. I like Rovers but a few getting over confident. They'll be in for a tough game every week that's for sure.

We've tried underplaying our ability for years and it's no fun. So this year we are going to the other extreme, been enjoyable so far

6 hours ago, Enigma said:

Just shows how small time this league is that our cast offs are your heroes. Thankfully we'll be back in our rightful place soon.

8th?

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We never let him go, just couldn't stand in his way of a move to full time football with Dundee. Also had trials at Birmingham.

Sorry - didn't realise he went to Dundee. I guess that didn't flower, when he ended up at Stirling?

I actually don't think we will win the league. Our first choice 11 is probably good enough, but we are going into the first game of the season with an untried youngster starting. Bigger squads than this have been fucked by injuries and suspension. Losing more than 2 starter's could be enough to absolutely f**k things up.

Archived