League 1 star players.

Alan Trouten - his record speaks for itself.

Always liked him but he never found his best form with us. His stats at Brechin don't lie though and if he can stay fit throughout the campaign Albion Rovers will do well.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough to pick out a star player for us for this season simply because I've only seen one pre-season game but basing it on last years squad it'd be Jonny Page. Absolute rock at centre half for us since he signed, no surprise that our tail off towards the end of last season coincided pretty perfectly with him going out injured. Have high hopes this season for Millar, Duggan and Wilkie if he can stay fit.

Up and down season for Barry Smith....

Team talk v Airdrie "keep an eye on Andy Ryan"

Team talk v Arbroath "we're fucked"

I think Ross Matthews could be close to poty for us.  If he keeps developing I think we have a wee star in the making that could go a long way in the game...

Alan Trouten - his record speaks for itself.

Have always thought Trouten was a smashing player, just for some reason never quite found 'it' during his two stints with us. Happy to see him do well elsewhere (just not on Saturday k thnx)

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I'd imagine Lewis Vaughan will be the best player in the league next season and can really cause a few teams havoc, Bobby Barr and Liam Buchanan are also too good for this league and will hopefully have excellent seasons. 

Mate, it's about your player of the year and top scorer!

Never mind bumming about who's going to be the best player in the league as you simply don't know enough of the others.

As for Barr and Buchanan being too good for this level, they've spent a lot of their career at it, and Barr was part of your team that got relegated.

Calm doon!

10 minutes ago, Joma Boo said:

Mate, it's about your player of the year and top scorer!

Never mind bumming about who's going to be the best player in the league as you simply don't know enough of the others.

As for Barr and Buchanan being too good for this level, they've spent a lot of their career at it, and Barr was part of your team that got relegated.

Calm doon!

It's about league one's "star players" those will be the star players in league one from my team. Try not too be too precious. 

6 hours ago, Raithie said:

Not quite sure if I should take this as a positive for my own teams chances or feel depressed at the level we've succumbed to when reading that players like Ryan McCord are seen as being top players.

First signs of     "..... we're much too good for this league........, big club like ours......, shouldn't be here.......etc, etc........"  ?

Strange that, because I'm pretty sure last season, you were much to poor for that league. Its called finding your level, and sadly , you've found it.

Tbf they were massively handicapped by Gary Locke, their squad looked ok. Still think it's a bit of a riddy coming down to this league and acting billy big baws slagging guys like McCord though.

He was one of Alloa's main players in a side that finished just 2 points behind Raith not too long ago.

Mccord just wasn't very good for us. I'm sure he was great for Alloa and for Arbroath and I'm sure he is more than capable in this league. 

Doesn't change the fact that he didn't do very much with us at all. I was delighted when he signed for us but he was a pretty big dissapointment.

As for our squad, large part of the side who were awful last season but also fantastic the year before. Absolutely no idea what on earth they will produce this season. Would imagine Spence and Buchanan would be our 'star' players looking at their tallies last season.

19 minutes ago, smuggfifer said:

Strange that, because I'm pretty sure last season, you were much to poor for that league. Its called finding your level, and sadly , you've found it.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbf they were massively handicapped by Gary Locke, their squad looked ok. Still think it's a bit of a riddy coming down to this league and acting billy big baws slagging guys like McCord though.

He was one of Alloa's main players in a side that finished just 2 points behind Raith not too long ago.

:lol: Locke and Hughes, the latter of whom told us about a billion times we need to go "mano-a-mano" and how his main goalscorer didn't do enough in training but he'd be happy if his daughter brought him home. Last season was largely of our own doing, and there's still a resentment to the board. But at times we were unlucky. It's no excuse given how disgustingly rancid we were from September on, but even with about 5 games to go we drew a game against Queens we really should've won where the referee gave them a goal which never crossed the line.  It doesn't matter now. All in the past and we deserved to get relegated due to the stupidity of the decisions over the course of the season.

McCord will always get a raw deal from Rovers fans but then we had him in our most creative midfield in years and he looked well out of place. He was completely outshone at the end by the likes of Connolly (I still miss the wee b*****d to this day - It's a shame we never got to see him and Vaughan in the same team as it would have utterly ripped the piss out of teams at Championship level), Craigen, Longridge and Grant Anderson. He's more than good enough at this level, but I'd be surprised if he's one of the best in the league. 

As for the star players, there'll be a few across the division. Naturally I'm inclined to go for one of our top three for the top goalscorer. Both Spence and Buchanan scored for fun at this level last season. Vaughan isn't exactly an out and out goal scorer but he's never really had a full season to show.

Even then I'd say Vaughan or Robertson will be our star players. If we keep a hold of Lewis, then he's definitely got the technical ability and the eye for goal to help us. Robertson has just completed his first pre-season with us in three years and is probably one of the most experienced players in the league. He's spent a lot of time in the top flight and got capped at one point for the national team. He's looked good so far and can only help Matthews and Callachan in midfield. 

From other teams, Moore could be an excellent signing for Ayr, but he always seemed to be injured wherever I've seen. Maybe he's a bit like Scott Robertson in that respect. Geggan is a great signing for Ayr who'll help a lot of their younger lads. 

I've just realised Scott Agnew is at Stranraer so if you're a betting person, then I'd fire on a fiver each time we're playing them as he's probably only second to Keatings in players who always score against Rovers. No idea how he is after that spell at Saints. 

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

From what I've seen so far Steven Doris looks like he's in for a cracking season, been excellent up against premiership defences. Tam O'Brien is an absolute unit, great player. Blair Yule one to watch too, the 2 latter guys had full time offers this season from Dundee United and Caley but opted for us. Lucky to have them.

Danny Denholm, Ricky Little, Ryan McCord, Bobby Linn and Swankie all have the potential to be our top players too depending on how they get on.

Six of them contributed to relegations the last time they graced this league. Your optimistic if fck all else Haha.

Archived