League 1 star players.

Been a while since we were in this league so my  knowledge of some of the other clubs playing squads in league 1 is very limited. Who should I be worried about when your team face the Rovers? Who will be your clubs top scorer and POTY? 

At the Rovers I would expect Lewis Vaughan to be the star man and probably Liam Buchanan for top goalscorer. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say our star man this year will be either Declan McDaid or Michael Moffat but there's a few players in our XI that could be POTY.
I'd say our top scorer will be Craig Moore if he can stay free of injuries for most of the campaign.

In fact I'd bet that either Moore or Buchanan could end top scorer in the league and it could go along way to deciding who'll win the league.

3 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I'd say our star man this year will be either Declan McDaid or Michael Moffat but there's a few players in our XI that could be POTY.
I'd say our top scorer will be Craig Moore if he can stay free of injuries for most of the campaign.

In fact I'd bet that either Moore or Buchanan could end top scorer in the league and it could go along way to deciding who'll win the league.

Would agree with this, Declan McDaid will be our POTY and Craig Moore will be the leagues top goalscorer if he stays fit. A fully fit Craig Moore will score 20+ goals in this league.

Looks like we will be playing 1 up front so safe money would be on Doris ending up top scorer, Although if McCord is playing advanced like tail end of last season he could hit double figures, 

POTY could be a few, possibly O'Brien or if he continues his early season form Doris 

From what I've seen so far Steven Doris looks like he's in for a cracking season, been excellent up against premiership defences. Tam O'Brien is an absolute unit, great player. Blair Yule one to watch too, the 2 latter guys had full time offers this season from Dundee United and Caley but opted for us. Lucky to have them.

Danny Denholm, Ricky Little, Ryan McCord, Bobby Linn and Swankie all have the potential to be our top players too depending on how they get on.

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

From what I've seen so far Steven Doris looks like he's in for a cracking season, been excellent up against premiership defences. Tam O'Brien is an absolute unit, great player. Blair Yule one to watch too, the 2 latter guys had full time offers this season from Dundee United and Caley but opted for us. Lucky to have them.

Danny Denholm, Ricky Little, Ryan McCord, Bobby Linn and Swankie all have the potential to be our top players too depending on how they get on.

So, basically, everyone then.

We only really have one exceptional player in Andy Ryan.

If we manage to keep a hold of him, I would expect him to go on to be our top goal scorer and POTY.

Other than him, most of our players are youth players and largely unknown quantities so could be a mixed bag.

Not quite sure if I should take this as a positive for my own teams chances or feel depressed at the level we've succumbed to when reading that players like Ryan McCord are seen as being top players.

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Not quite sure if I should take this as a positive for my own teams chances or feel depressed at the level we've succumbed to when reading that players like Ryan McCord are seen as being top players.

What a shame for you, letting relegation happen in the first place.

McCord done well in the championship too. He was just poor at Raith.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I said the 3 I thought would be most likely then mentioned the other handful of guys that also have the potential to be in the frame.

I just feel sorry for the three guys in your starting 11 you didn't mention.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

McCord done well in the championship too. He was just poor at Raith.

He wasn't actually all that poor, to be fair. Middling. Very tidy on the ball, struggled a bit with pace. Looked like he was blowing out his arse in the game at Morton near Christmas and really only got one more look in at a dead rubber game against the Rangers in a midweek game in February. McKinnon's mk.2 team was built around a 4 man midfield which didn't help him, and Toshney and Callachan, who made up that central partnership were far better at getting about the pitch - both covering the defence and supplying the forwards, were stronger and generally just a bit more robust.

I just feel sorry for the three guys in your starting 11 you didn't mention.

They won't be too disappointed I'm sure.

I seriously cannot call who's going to be our best performers though. Same last season, 4 guys in team of the year. 2 guys from Forfar in the L2 team of the year now at us too. I know it's a league up but we're just talking about each individual club here.

My main shout would be Steven Doris though, very promising so far.

He wasn't actually all that poor, to be fair. Middling. Very tidy on the ball, struggled a bit with pace. Looked like he was blowing out his arse in the game at Morton near Christmas and really only got one more look in at a dead rubber game against the Rangers in a midweek game in February. McKinnon's mk.2 team was built around a 4 man midfield which didn't help him, and Toshney and Callachan, who made up that central partnership were far better at getting about the pitch - both covering the defence and supplying the forwards, were stronger and generally just a bit more robust.

He's a very talented guy. If you let the leash off him like we are able to do at times and let him express himself it can be great to watch.

Obviously not the most athletic player in the world and doesn't like being in a disciplined role which has stopped him from succeeding at a full time club like yourselves.

I'd imagine Lewis Vaughan will be the best player in the league next season and can really cause a few teams havoc, Bobby Barr and Liam Buchanan are also too good for this league and will hopefully have excellent seasons. 

Iain Flannigan will probably be our stand-out. None of the new signings have really hit the ground running but Meggatt should be up there once settled back too.

Top scorer - who knows! Wouldn't put it past wee Kev Cawley again with the way the strikers are playing.

Archived