Forfar v Airdrie

44 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Ahhhh so that's why you were happy Josh Peters left? Cause he only scored goals & didn't win any knock ons or won us throw-ins like Lister....emoji849.pngemoji849.png

Priority as a Striker is to score goals.

Goals win games.

Tell that to See as well then, what did he do in the match?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

I like both centre halfs we have playing now 

Our best centre half is McIntosh and Gorman is 10x better than Mensing.

Looking at our highlights it's clear we have a glaring need in midfield and left back.   No one picked up Lister's (Lister!) run and McDonald couldn't be arsed getting goal side or challenging Cox.  Think Lovering at 45 y/o would have conceded that?    And no pressure on Mark Miller's shot at the 2nd.

Talking of Miller, there was the difference between the teams in that player alone.  We had a wee boy on trial who got 3 sub apps for Annan whilst Forfar signed experienced and capable player Miller from Livvy to play centre mid.

Hate to say "I told you so"  but I suggested Miller at the start of the summer.  In the meantime we spunked money on Brown rather than fill a glaring need with what was an easy move.   Worst is, the happy clappers will accept it and repeat the excuses but we get what we get.   Despite our position we could be doing so much better. 

54 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Our best centre half is McIntosh and Gorman is 10x better than Mensing.

Looking at our highlights it's clear we have a glaring need in midfield and left back.   No one picked up Lister's (Lister!) run and McDonald couldn't be arsed getting goal side or challenging Cox.  Think Lovering at 45 y/o would have conceded that?    And no pressure on Mark Miller's shot at the 2nd.

Talking of Miller, there was the difference between the teams in that player alone.  We had a wee boy on trial who got 3 sub apps for Annan whilst Forfar signed experienced and capable player Miller from Livvy to play centre mid.

Hate to say "I told you so"  but I suggested Miller at the start of the summer.  In the meantime we spunked money on Brown rather than fill a glaring need with what was an easy move.   Worst is, the happy clappers will accept it and repeat the excuses but we get what we get.   Despite our position we could be doing so much better. 

Don't disagree with any of that but I think Gorman is finished at the club (I don't think we can be affording to cut players out but I'd be surprised if he plays again). I like McIntosh too - but we have no experience. And McDonald is a liability defensively at times. An experienced keeper or experienced defensive midfielder could help with all that (organisation etc) but if we continue to lose games confidence will be a factor, as shown by Rohan last season. Not advocating that we should have kept Mensing but an older head could become important.

Browns a luxury, he's capable of doing things (on his day, when in the mood etc...) that other can't. But again, he's not suited to what we need. Someone like Miller would have been a good signing. 

46 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Browns a luxury, he's capable of doing things (on his day, when in the mood etc...) that other can't. But again, he's not suited to what we need.

Exactly the point.   We needed a Mark Miller who is an experienced competitive midfielder.

Instead we got Broon.   I could bring Brownlie in to it but he's decent though we already had McIntosh, Cairns and Gorman for centre half.

1 hour ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Exactly the point.   We needed a Mark Miller who is an experienced competitive midfielder.

Instead we got Broon.   I could bring Brownlie in to it but he's decent though we already had McIntosh, Cairns and Gorman for centre half.

Yep we're agreeing. Spot on again with Gorman. No need to sign brownlie. The fact we have (and he looks decent in fairness to him) suggests Gorman is absolutely finished. I'd heard he's trying to get a club back in Ireland - but thats unlikely. So we're a wage down...for whatever reason. Complete waste when we're sending out 'give us your money' messages. 

9 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Yep we're agreeing. Spot on again with Gorman. No need to sign brownlie. The fact we have (and he looks decent in fairness to him) suggests Gorman is absolutely finished. I'd heard he's trying to get a club back in Ireland - but thats unlikely. So we're a wage down...for whatever reason. Complete waste when we're sending out 'give us your money' messages. 

Yet to hear what situation with Gorman is but fear there's no man management.

He played at Clyde and EK.   If he's broken club rules,or done something sackable then sack him.  If not, sort it out and get an asset on the park.

We need a fkn manager

On 8/6/2017 at 14:45, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Ahhhh so that's why you were happy Josh Peters left? Cause he only scored goals & didn't win any knock ons or won us throw-ins like Lister....emoji849.pngemoji849.png

Priority as a Striker is to score goals.

Goals win games.

If Peters had Listers work ethic and touch he would be playing premiership, sadly he does not and i expect him to end up playing 2nd div football before the end of the season (good luck to the chap though)

The most concerning thing for me was how poor we were defending crosses, especially at dead balls.  I think Scott Stewart got a head to one of their corners, but apart from that just about every corner and free kick found a Forfar man, usually under not much pressure.  Ferguson, who I thought had a good game, and the woodwork* made it a respectable scoreline, but 2-1 makes it sound much tighter than it really was.

We also ran out of ideas, and barring a brief flurry in the second half, never really looked like we were going to score.  That said, I was impressed with Louden, and the trialist had a decent first half, I thought.  Must have been a frustrating afternoon for Ryan.  

*As a side note does anywhere actually still use wood for the goal frame?

1 hour ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

The most concerning thing for me was how poor we were defending crosses, especially at dead balls.  I think Scott Stewart got a head to one of their corners, but apart from that just about every corner and free kick found a Forfar man, usually under not much pressure.  Ferguson, who I thought had a good game, and the woodwork* made it a respectable scoreline, but 2-1 makes it sound much tighter than it really was.

We also ran out of ideas, and barring a brief flurry in the second half, never really looked like we were going to score.  That said, I was impressed with Louden, and the trialist had a decent first half, I thought.  Must have been a frustrating afternoon for Ryan.  

*As a side note does anywhere actually still use wood for the goal frame?

Can see that being a problem this season where teams know if they stop him then they'll win as we have little goal threat from elsewhere. They'll just cut off the supply to him. In theory that should free up space elsewhere for us but we don't really have the quality to exploit that. I worry if we play with 1 up front then that's going to play into teams hands in this regard, far easier for them to isolate him and mark him out the game. Having a second striker, even one who isn't brilliant, would free Ryan up a bit more.

Can see that being a problem this season where teams know if they stop him then they'll win as we have little goal threat from elsewhere. They'll just cut off the supply to him. In theory that should free up space elsewhere for us but we don't really have the quality to exploit that. I worry if we play with 1 up front then that's going to play into teams hands in this regard, far easier for them to isolate him and mark him out the game. Having a second striker, even one who isn't brilliant, would free Ryan up a bit more.

Murray London was 2nd striker on Saturday. Problem is front two are on the small side.
Midfield is too lightweight exposing the defence and right back area was s problem. Forfar got loads of time and space on their left side.

1 minute ago, 2lgm said:

Murray London was 2nd striker on Saturday. Problem is front two are on the small side.
Midfield is too lightweight exposing the defence and right back area was s problem. Forfar got loads of time and space on their left side.

What an absolute moronic Scottish way of looking at our strikers, I don't remember Livingston having any issues last season with two short arses up front?

There is nothing wrong with having 2 small forwards if the midfeild is creating chances, and our midfeild isn't very creative, Conroy is capable and Brown are capable but if they are not creating chances were in trouble.

I can understand where 2lgm is coming from it would be useful to have a target man when the game is scrappy, Jimmy Lister type would be useful.

57 minutes ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

What an absolute moronic Scottish way of looking at our strikers, I don't remember Livingston having any issues last season with two short arses up front?

It's not really if we are punting long balls all game. In fairness we weren't really doing it that much for this level, but then that's partly because of the smaller strikers. For someone of his height Ryan wins his fair share in the air, but the balls need to be from wider areas for him to attack and use his movement, long balls up to him are obviously useless.

Livingston had no issues because they played good football and the quality to create plenty of chances for their strikers. At this level where very few teams can pass the ball up the park it certainly helps to have a good physical presence up front who knows how to win free-kicks and hold the ball, like Lister at his best for us.

Ryan decent in the air considering his height however my point was I prefer, if playing two up front,big guy wee guy. Might be a bit old fashioned to some but Lister was great for us as traditional centre forward creating for others. I don't believe we are getting enough from midfield to play two small guys up front.

Gorman must have done something pretty serious or he would have been fined and put back in. We can't afford to be choosy in our financial circumstances. Like others I don't think he'll play for the club again. Remember he was out of the squad for "non football reasons" last year.

The continuing non-action on the manager/signing front is beginning to make the positive statement of last week a bit wierd.

Guest LonglivetheKING
28 minutes ago, waysider said:

Gorman must have done something pretty serious 

No shit sherlock

Archived