Champions Elect v Alan Trouten and friends

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Higgins looks far better / more mobile than Balatoni, McDaid is a completely different player from the one we saw in flashes last year (IN A DAMN GOOD WAY), Moffat and Moore link up has been brilliant, Crawford looks as if he's improved remarkably and also looks far better physically (full time training ?) and as mentioned before we have got shot of the deadwood and replaced it with guys who seem hungry for success.

Full time training is a massive plus and getting rid of Loan players in favour of signing our own also looks the definite way to go.

All in all, the only position I think that we're weaker is Goalkeeper as Fleming was pretty decent even for Championship level, losing Nicky also a blow but bringing in Andy Geggan offsets that one I'd say.

Yes, we're definitely going to have a good season.................

2 hours ago, teekasule said:

first game it was closed. second game open. 

We were told by a steward that it 'wasn't ready' to be opened, despite it looking very ready. We were then forced to stand 4-5 people deep at the stand side and watch our season get started with an utter pumping. Not my favourite away day experience in all honesty. 

11 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

We were told by a steward that it 'wasn't ready' to be opened, despite it looking very ready. We were then forced to stand 4-5 people deep at the stand side and watch our season get started with an utter pumping. Not my favourite away day experience in all honesty. 

I just watched from the hill tbh.  

20160303_155204000_iOS.jpg

On 01/08/2017 at 11:36, RR #1 said:

Struggling to see where all this confidence comes from still looks like mostly the same shitty squad and manager you had last season with a couple of pars rejects being the main additions. What am I missing?

You are missing the fact we have dropped down to a division which is far easier than last seasons. We only missed out on survival by a few points despite having less resources than most and the group of players is more than good enough for this level. 

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Higgins looks far better / more mobile than Balatoni, McDaid is a completely different player from the one we saw in flashes last year (IN A DAMN GOOD WAY), Moffat and Moore link up has been brilliant, Crawford looks as if he's improved remarkably and also looks far better physically (full time training ?) and as mentioned before we have got shot of the deadwood and replaced it with guys who seem hungry for success.

Full time training is a massive plus and getting rid of Loan players in favour of signing our own also looks the definite way to go.

All in all, the only position I think that we're weaker is Goalkeeper as Fleming was pretty decent even for Championship level, losing Nicky also a blow but bringing in Andy Geggan offsets that one I'd say.

Yes, we're definitely going to have a good season.................

Defence is far weaker imo but then again playing in the league below don't see the problem with that. Reckon we will have a good season but the betfred cup is a poor indicator of how good a team is shaping up. 

13 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Defence is far weaker imo but then again playing in the league below don't see the problem with that. Reckon we will have a good season but the betfred cup is a poor indicator of how good a team is shaping up. 

I disagree, I believe it's stronger defensively. Devlin was always defensively culpable, and never got the administration for Balatoni.

5 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I disagree, I believe it's stronger defensively. Devlin was always defensively culpable, and never got the administration for Balatoni.

Fleming is proven at this level. Devlin's natural position is right back and has went to a higher level in England than Geggan ever did whilst he is also a midfielder by trade. Meggatt was far better than Boyle imo. Balatoni a stand out and could have got a game for most teams in the league above whereas Higgins ends up in the league below. Perfectly happy with our defence now but the one last year was better and playing for a team at the bottom of the league was always going make it difficult to look good. 

Fleming is proven at this level. Devlin's natural position is right back and has went to a higher level in England than Geggan ever did whilst he is also a midfielder by trade. Meggatt was far better than Boyle imo. Balatoni a stand out and could have got a game for most teams in the league above whereas Higgins ends up in the league below. Perfectly happy with our defence now but the one last year was better and playing for a team at the bottom of the league was always going make it difficult to look good. 

Devlin might be better going forward and quicker than Geggan but that's about it. Geggan is far better defensively, better on the ball and I'd say is better at delivering a ball as well.

Balatoni was a stand out because he was playing alongside Meggat who wasn't a centre half. He's the only player in that defence that I'd take back. Higgins is better than both Murphy and Meggat and just because he dropped down a level doesn't make him any less of a player. Plenty of players have dropped down a level for many reasons and not all because of their lack of ability. Look at Fleming and Cairney. Fleming is a Championship player and Cairney is League 1 at least. But they dropped down because of money not because they weren't good enough.

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Devlin might be better going forward and quicker than Geggan but that's about it. Geggan is far better defensively, better on the ball and I'd say is better at delivering a ball as well.

Balatoni was a stand out because he was playing alongside Meggat who wasn't a centre half. He's the only player in that defence that I'd take back. Higgins is better than both Murphy and Meggat and just because he dropped down a level doesn't make him any less of a player. Plenty of players have dropped down a level for many reasons and not all because of their lack of ability. Look at Fleming and Cairney. Fleming is a Championship player and Cairney is League 1 at least. But they dropped down because of money not because they weren't good enough.

Your completely underestimating Devlin there. Despite playing for the lowest placed team in the league he was a stand out who saved us at the back so many times then still made it forward and provided a rare attacking threat. Had Hearts and Dundee Utd chasing him before ending up at a decent level. Yet he's not as good as a central midfielder you've seen in a semi competitive cup against two lower league teams plus another missing a defence. Balatoni could have picked his team last season and certainly walked into an average Qos team where Higgins was on the bench. Meggatt was also a good player who we could have got more from had McCall not let him vanish for a few months mid season. 

Your completely underestimating Devlin there. Despite playing for the lowest placed team in the league he was a stand out who saved us at the back so many times then still made it forward and provided a rare attacking threat. Had Hearts and Dundee Utd chasing him before ending up at a decent level. Yet he's not as good as a central midfielder you've seen in a semi competitive cup against two lower league teams plus another missing a defence. Balatoni could have picked his team last season and certainly walked into an average Qos team where Higgins was on the bench. Meggatt was also a good player who we could have got more from had McCall not let him vanish for a few months mid season. 

Higgins played the majority of the games for QOTS last season but the main reason for letting him go was the fact he got injured a lot last season. QOTS fans were on here saying they couldn't believe he was let go and that he was more than capable of playing in the Championship.

7 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Meggatt was also a good player who we could have got more from had McCall not let him vanish for a few months mid season.

fuck-funny-gif-haha-liar-Favim.com-29332

Balatoni was a solid player for us and he'd stroll this division, no question. I really like Higgins so far but I doubt there's too much between them really.

Meggatt varied between looking brilliant and looking utter pish, often in the same 90 minutes. He's another one who's going to benefit from stepping down level.

Overall, difficult to say if we've improved defensively but pretty clear we'll have enough to do well in League 1.

Balatoni was superb for us up until January but personally I thought his performances went hugely downhill after all the transfer speculation. For me he ended up as a bit of a bombscare near the end and also started to have public fights with the fans when things weren't going well, so going from what I've seen so far, I'd take Chris Higgins as a replacement any day.

Apart from all that we're far better balanced on the park this year and the pace of our game has increased dramatically from last year, possibly due to offloading unfit players and replacing them with guys full of energy who want to put in a shift and play for the jersey. 

Yes, There's a good season ahead, trust me...........

2 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Meggatt varied between looking brilliant and looking utter pish, often in the same 90 minutes. He's another one who's going to benefit from stepping down level.

22 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

For me he ended up as a bit of a bombscare near the end and also started to have public fights with the fans when things weren't going well

Pretty spot on description of Meggatt to be honest.

As for Balatoni, I mind him having a go at a roaster once only. Happy to be educated otherwise.

And the Devlin chat seems to vary between him being the best right back we've ever seen at Somerset to being over-rated cos he couldn't defend. The truth is probably somewhere slap bang in the middle.

Missing this one due to a family wedding which is a bit of a sickner as it'll be the first 'opening day fixture' i've missed in a while. Hoping we can get 3 points to start our title winning campaign.

I'm under no illusions that this will be a tough game, Despite Albion Rovers losing their manager and a few key players namely the Dunlop brothers and the two Ross Stewart's they seem to have recruited well in particularly Alan Trouten and Jason Marr. Alan Trouten has been on fire in their Betfred cup campaign(top goalscorer I think?) and is one of very few lower league players who has the ability to turn it on at any moment. However I still think we will have enough in the tank to get all 3 points and would be disappointed with anything less.

Hope we line-up:

Jordan Hart

Andy Geggan

Craig Reid

Chris Higgins

Paddy Boyle

Declan McDaid

Robbie Crawford

Ross Docherty (C)

Craig McGuffie

Michael Moffat

Craig Moore

Subs- Avci, Ferguson, Adams, Gilmour, Forrest, McCowan, Murphy

Prediction: 3-1 to Ayr, Moore x2 and McDaid. Trouten scoring for AR.

Archived