Champions Elect v Alan Trouten and friends

Everyone exaggerates when talking about Devlin and his defensive ability. On the whole last season he was fine defensively, despite being g offered basically zero support from whoever was meant to be in front of him most of the time. I didn't make many away games but don't recall anyone getting the better of him. (Us being caught out after him trying to provide our sole attacking threat doesn't count)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

As much as I like Devlin, his defending was really poor at times. Geggan is an immediate improvement, though clearly isn't as good going forward. I'd be surprised if there are many Ayr fans who would pick Devlin ahead of Robertson. Solid defender, could play centre half and left back and great going forward. Was it against St Mirren when he scored after running the length of the park? Decent goalkeeper too.

I wish Devlin nothing but success, but he'll need to drastically mprove his defending. His pace got him out of trouble at league 1 level, but not so much a level up.

As far as other good full backs go, I'd have to mention George Burley. We remember him as a slightly dodgy manager, but he was still an outstanding player when he first arrived.

In terms of contribution to Ayr then Robertson wins as was here far longer and a good player albeit he had the benefit of playing in some good teams. Devlin is still young and developing so expect him to go on and do more in the game. George Burley was a class act and we would never have got a player like that without the pull of a managerial job. 

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I agree with most of this but Geggan will be more of a goal threat than Devlin and Burley has been our best full back since the 70s.

Yep, I can see Geggan chipping in with a few goals this season, which is something we didn't really have from our defence last season. Could make all the difference in some games.

Everyone exaggerates when talking about Devlin and his defensive ability. On the whole last season he was fine defensively, despite being g offered basically zero support from whoever was meant to be in front of him most of the time. I didn't make many away games but don't recall anyone getting the better of him. (Us being caught out after him trying to provide our sole attacking threat doesn't count)

He was at fault for a crucial goal against us at tannadice.

I didn't make many games either but that was definitely an error (although I think the keeper sold the jersey a bit too).

He was at fault for a crucial goal against us at tannadice.

I didn't make many games either but that was definitely an error (although I think the keeper sold the jersey a bit too).

Had Hippolyte in his back pocket every time.

Was it a couple of seasons back Dunfermline won their first two games 5-1 and 6-1, then people were sticking on them to win the next one 7-1 which they did?

I just remembered that this morning, given our last two results. Not that I was seriously considering it.

Was it a couple of seasons back Dunfermline won their first two games 5-1 and 6-1, then people were sticking on them to win the next one 7-1 which they did?
I just remembered that this morning, given our last two results. Not that I was seriously considering it.

Aye, think we might have had a 4-1 but that might be bullshit.

The 7-1 came against Cowdenbeath, we were winning 7-0 and then Pat Scullion spanked one in from about 30 yards in the last couple of minutes, quite a few Pars fans had it on and were going wild.

Archived