Champions Elect v Alan Trouten and friends

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Not arrogant, Just better.

Struggling to see where all this confidence comes from still looks like mostly the same shitty squad and manager you had last season with a couple of pars rejects being the main additions. What am I missing?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RR #1 said:

Struggling to see where all this confidence comes from still looks like mostly the same shitty squad and manager you had last season with a couple of pars rejects being the main additions. What am I missing?

We've recruited very well. Chris Higgins, Craig Reid, Michael Moffat and Andy Geggan all look like very decent signings thus far. We won our Betfred Group with 4 wins from 4 scroing 15 goals and conceeding just 3, beating out rivals in the process. Craig Moore looks like hes back to being fully fit and if we can keep him fit then he will score 20+ goals in tis league easy. My main concern is the lack of squad depth (Which i'd imagine is also a concern for Rovers) as a couple of injuries could really hamper us.

It's looking very likely that it'll be a two horse race between us two.

We've recruited very well. Chris Higgins, Craig Reid, Michael Moffat and Andy Geggan all look like very decent signings thus far. We won our Betfred Group with 4 wins from 4 scroing 15 goals and conceeding just 3, beating out rivals in the process. Craig Moore looks like hes back to being fully fit and if we can keep him fit then he will score 20+ goals in tis league easy. My main concern is the lack of squad depth (Which i'd imagine is also a concern for Rovers) as a couple of injuries could really hamper us.

Plus we've got shot of players like Cairney and Harkins who clearly weren't fit and our play has been much more urgent and quicker.

I was concerned when Cairney left as I thought he'd be one of the better midfielders in this league but so far he's not been missed with Crawford a much better player in that position.

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

Yes squad depth is a big worry. Saying that we have a better first 11 than last year. Will hold off saying it will be a 2 horse race until I see Alloa on Saturday. 

Never knew you had signed Higgins my confidence has now risen further. Surely Reid, Higgins and an out of position Geggan will be a poorer defence than you had last season with devlin, balatoni and meggat? 

Moffat is past his best and looked very poor in front of goal for Dunfermline. Moore has never stood out anytime I have seen him but his scoring record is decent. Do you expect anymore new arrivals at Somerset? 

31 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Losing/getting rid of Harkins, Cairney and Meggatt.  We put ourselves under so much less pressure through having different players in these positions, two were too slow (in running and actual movement of the ball) and one could just implode at any moment.  

Yes squad depth is a big worry. Saying that we have a better first 11 than last year. Will hold off saying it will be a 2 horse race until I see Alloa on Saturday. 
Never knew you had signed Higgins my confidence has now risen further. Surely Reid, Higgins and an out of position Geggan will be a poorer defence than you had last season with devlin, balatoni and meggat? 
Moffat is past his best and looked very poor in front of goal for Dunfermline. Moore has never stood out anytime I have seen him but his scoring record is decent. Do you expect anymore new arrivals at Somerset? 

I'd say Geggan has looked better defensively than Devlin ever did. His touch is better, his passing is better and he's a much smarter player.
I would've kept Balatoni over Reid but Meggat never filled me with confidence and Higgins looks a much better player.
Moffat isn't the same player we had a few years ago. When he was with us he was a poacher who played on the shoulder but now he's more of a second striker who creates as well as scores. He's been great so far in the league cup and doesn't look like slowing down.
Moore has never had the chance to stand out because he's been injured half the time. I'm not saying he would've kept us up but if he'd been fit last season we would've put up a better fight.

McCall has said there's not much money left for players but the cup money so far should help us recruit. I think he's still looking for another striker to back up Moffat and Moore.

7 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Defence will be 

Reid/Fergusson - Reid/Rose - Higgins - Boyle

40 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

That we've gone full time. That's the biggest factor of this season.

1 hour ago, RR #1 said:

tumblr_me3qrs0gEt1qmtj52.gif

I reckon McDaid and Moore having a good preseason with full time training has been like signing two new players as well. McDaid looks absolutely electric.
I'm only going by the killie game and highlights of the other matches, but we look like we are a more balanced side than recent years, and the pace and fluidity going forward looks exciting.

2 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Moffat, Reid, Higgins and Geggan look excellent additions.  We never saw the best of McDaid last season as he got injured after about half an hour.  His form so far tends to suggest he could have made a real difference last season.  Craig Moore effectively lost the whole of last season so almost feels like another new signing.  Retaining Docherty and Crawford is a cracking piece of business.  Paddy Boyle was voted best left back in League 1 2 seasons ago.  

I'm interested to see what full time training does for Alan Forrest and Craig McGuffie as well.

Doubts surround the goalkeeper and the threadbare squad, but we are a very long way from the disaster area of last season.  Looking back at the personnel from our last 3 promotions from League 1, this squad looks very capable (though I accept we won't have Stevo running riot this time round).

And in case I haven't mentioned it before :-) I'd just like to say a big thank you to our good friends in Greenock for taking Harkins off our hands.

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Alloa did something very similar last season , excellent betfred run ................but in the end although we finished second by a long way failed to get promotion due to the playoffs

so in summary get in the top four , have an excellent run of form late season..

1 minute ago, whereismillar said:

Alloa did something very similar last season , excellent betfred run ................but in the end although we finished second by a long way failed to get promotion due to the playoffs

so in summary you have to win this league to be assured...

I can say with 100% certainty that we have a better squad than Alloa did last seaosn.

so in summary you have to win this league to be assured...

Personally I'd say our squad is far superior to Alloa's last season but you're right. Nothing is guaranteed.

Im sure we were in there last time.  

I don't think there will be segregation so I would imagine you guys will also take up part of the main stand (probably the right hand side when facing the pitch)

Archived