Alloa v Raith

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Murray hasn't done too badly at LB though..

I'd rather he played there than have McHattie there anyway, and we already know that that McHattie will be our LB this season.

Murray has been very good from what I've seen at left back, but I would rather he played alongside bene than davo being in there. 

I don't know nothing about McHattie resigning so I am remaining optimistic that we get someone half decent. He was utter shit last year, is injury prone and has now missed all of pre season. 

This is probably the hardest fixture of the season and so it would be great to get a win on the board, Vaughan and Buchanan are in good scoring form so that's a big plus and the midfield look better than they have for a long time. A draw here isn't a bad result but a win sends a bit of a message from the start. 

2-1 Rovers. 

Hardest game really? Wait until you come to the magnificent Somerset!

Where's the best place to park? I haven't been to Alloa for a few years and used to park at the supermarket (Morrison's) across the road.

Morrisons is best I'd say that's where I always park nowadays if I've got the car

26 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

It's a toss up between the 2, the fact I've never seen us win at the recs and I've never seen us lose at Somerset swung it for me. It's between the three of us for the title I'd say. 

Alloa at recs has certainly been a harder game for us that Ayr at Somerset in recent seasons. Alloa will be a good side this season and will probably be batting for the play off places with Ayr so it is a bit of a toss up but I'd say Alloa edges it given recent history. A win on Saturday will show we mean business.

We've won three and drawn two from our last five visits to the Indodrill.

In theory, Saturday could be one of our trickier fixtures, but Alloa's squad looks a lot weaker than last season.

It was always going to be tough to replace players like Spence, Kirkpatrick, Holmes, Waters and Marr, and it doesn't look to me that Goodwin's gone about it particularly successfully.

I'm reasonably hopeful of a comfortable win here.

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Has it been rebuilt since last season then?

Unless you mean magnificent Somerset in Englandshire, I was there just 2 weeks ago. I thought Weston Supermare was a bit of a dump but Bath and Glastonbury were well worth visiting.

Don't buy all this superstitious nonsense about our record at Alloa. Does it make any difference? 

We struggled pretty badly 10/15 years ago, especially on that joke of a surface they had at a time when very few teams had artificial surfaces at all so was always going to favour Alloa whoever they played.I especially remember being there for a cup game on evening, maybe a replay? It felt about -20 degrees, we were rotten and got beat 2-1 I think? Brown Ferguson scoring like usual!

I believe they have a better quality surface now? We also now train on Astro and play away games on them regularly so no excuses.

I think Alloa have been weakened since last season, losing Spence and Waters must hurt.

If we are serious about winning league then we should be going to places like Alloa and winning, definitely not worrying about how Rovers' teams full of different players' managed by different managers a number of years ago performed there :/ Makes no odds.

Think we will win, not fussed by how many but if I had to predict a score? 3 nil.

There's a dent in the wall in my old room at my folks where I threw the remote control seeing those two goals come through on the score updates.   Good memories of Alloa.  

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That game you mentioned was fucking awful. I'm sure had we got through it was Aberdeen in the next round and we blew it. Up there with the coldest I've ever been, too.

That was a horrendous game. We were in charge for about 70 minutes, and leading 1-0 through Gary Wales. Then in the final two minutes we lost two goals. Then a couple of years later we lost again to Alloa in the cup where I think Willie Dyer got sent off within 20 minutes and they tanked us 4-2 in the most one sided game I've seen at Recs.

I think the coldest I've been at the football was again in the Scottish Cup when we played Dumbarton in the second division. They beat us 1-0 in McGlynn's second game, got Celtic in the next round (this being a period where we went ages without playing either of the Old Firm) and we paid money for Craig Winter from them the following season. A thoroughly shit day in our history. 

Hopefully it's not freezing on Saturday and we pick up a win. 

That 2nd Alloa game that Dyer saw red in was brutal, George Salmond was the ref that day, gave us nothing and went through  a spell of sending our guys off. Pretty sure it was him that sent off Hill at Livvi too.

I too remember freezing my ass off at Alloa mid week but the coldest I ever felt at a game was at Arbroath in the 2nd replay against Peterhead in the late 80s when McAlpine was in goal.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

There's a dent in the wall in my old room at my folks where I threw the remote control seeing those two goals come through on the score updates.   Good memories of Alloa.  

I remember it well. I was refreshing the page and fully expecting it to finish 1-0 Raith. Beautiful moment when it refreshed from 0-1 to 2-1 right at the end :thumsup2. Travesty that Aberdeen scraped through 2-1 in the next round too, Alloa were the better team that day. I recall Jinky Wilson destroying Charlie Mulgrew on the right wing and Andy Ferguson missing a late sitter to get us a draw, which would have been the least we deserved. 

The real reason there were lots of tight games between Alloa and Raith at the Recs over the past decade or so is that invariably there wasn't a great gap between the sides. Enough that Raith often won at Starks but not enough that they could expect to be winning easily at Alloa. The park had nothing to do with it either. That issue was massively overplayed in general. Got a lot of press because of Rangers complaining after their struggles on it. Good teams were able to play good football on that pitch. 

Raith will be favourites next Saturday without doubt. They have a decent enough team and excellent attacking options. We are weakened from last season and the new faces have yet to settle. That said, I felt 3-0 flattered a good Hibs team at the weekend. As such, I'm not sure Raith should be expecting the comfortable victory some are predicting here. If we play as we can then Raith will need to work hard for any kind of win.

Archived