Stranraer v East Fife

And so, at last, to a match thread.

Quite enjoy the Betfred Cup, but given the way it is drawn I can't help thinking that I'll still be waiting for us to qualify from a group in about 20 years. Well done to Ayr and (possibly) Peterheid.

East Fife up first at Stair Park. While I'm feeling better about the make-up of our team following yesterday's visit to Firhill, I still have no idea how we're going to do this season.

Excited about the arrival of Grant Anderson, and also looking for good things from Jamie Hamill, Ryan Wallace, Stephen Okoh and Tom Lang.

What are the Fifers' thoughts? What are you guys expecting? Are we all hoping for promotion play-offs?

It all starts here....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Clayhole Blue.

Looking forward to start of league business. We have not had that a good start but we have not yet got a settled team so you have got us at the right time. Still got a few injuries carrying over from .last season so you might not see the best of us until October/ November but here's hoping.

Good luck to your team except 4 times this season!!!!!!!!!!!!

No idea what to expect from us this season. Been quite a poor pre-season where we have struggled to score goals. Could do with another striker to our squad. I don't know enough about other teams bit I'd imagine Ayr and Raith will battle it out for the title and the rest of us will just take it a game at a time and hope we don't pick up too many injuries. Fingers crossed we have a good season but it's going to be tough that's for sure

Delighted not to have to face Willie Gibson in a Stranraer jersey this season. We are still getting guys back from injury so would probably see a draw as a good outcome on Saturday. I think we have made some excellent signings and would hope for us to be pressing for a top four position again this season. The added spice of a proper local derby has me looking forward to the campaign ahead...

In terms of EF's starting line up for Saturday's game, taking into account injuries and the fact Kyle Wilkie is still easing his way back from injury I would expect it to be,

Goodfellow; Dunsmore, Gordon, Watson, Docherty; Slattery, Millar, Willis, Wilson/Reilly, flanagan; Duggan in a 4-5-1 formation just as for the majority of last season

Stranraer have an advantage of having management continuity from the end of last season,and if I remember correctly they did tthe vast majority of their playing recruitment early doors as well. East Fife on the other hand have been playing catch up over the last 4 weeks with Barry Smith agreeing to join Fifes poor relations. Understanbly our pre season has been anything but plain sailing as the new manager has tried to get a squad together on a average budget for this league. To his credit he looks to have made a few decent additions to the squad.The run of league cup games didn't help with injuries reducing us to 13 players for nearly every game.I think the league campaign has probably come a bit to early for us as the players who have been missing will need time to get back from injury and get up to match sharpness. So considering all this if we take anything from Saturdays match I will be pleasantly sutrprised.As has been said I think it will be another month down the line until we see how the new squad is going to gel as all the injured players like Kev Smith and Jonny Paige haven't had a chance to have any game time with their new team mates.

In terms of EF's starting line up for Saturday's game, taking into account injuries and the fact Kyle Wilkie is still easing his way back from injury I would expect it to be,
Goodfellow; Dunsmore, Gordon, Watson, Docherty; Slattery, Millar, Willis, Wilson/Reilly, flanagan; Duggan in a 4-5-1 formation just as for the majority of last season

If we do, we will probably get disqualified, that a starting 12!

Should be an interesting game. Stranraer had a tough group in the cup and I imagine the next few games might give a truer indication of how their season will pan out. Farrell has brought in a fair few new faces and it will take time for them to gel. I think the big issue is going to be getting goals. Malcolm, Gibson and McGuigan were the three top scorers last season and all have left. I would expect Agnew to up his tally on last season and is, indeed, close to reaching that already. However the goals of Gibson and Malcolm are going to be hard to replace. Similarly, Gibson is a player who, offensively, can create something out of nothing and, defensively, is someone who was always willing to accept the ball and relieve a bit of pressure. Guys like Wallace, Stoney, Okoh, etc will be hoping to hit the ground running and getting some goals. I think the other big question is who plays in goals for Stranraer. Belford has been suspended for two games and I thought Currie did well at Firhill. That said, I think Farrell will go with the former. Think Turner could feel a bit aggrieved to miss out and same with Okoh given their performances at Firhill.

Belford; Robertson, Neill, Barron, Dick; Hamill, Bell, Thomson, Agnew, Anderson; Wallace.
Subs: Turner, Woods, Okoh, Stoney, Currie, McGowan and a youngster with Lang still injured.

Can't see Turner being left out,thought Anderson,Turner and Thomson in the middle played really well as a unit last week and will surely be given the chance to stake there claim.I thought Grant Anderson gave us that width on the right and Ryan Thomson with a pushing up Liam Dick against lesser oppo on the left with young Kyle sitting in looks good to me.Looking forward to this easier task,go for 2-0 blues.

Based on the cup games, I'd probably go with something like:

Goodfellow

Dunsmore, Gordon, Watson, Docherty

Flannigan, Miller, Slattery, Miller

Willis

Duggan

Assuming Hurst doesn't go straight in and Wilkie isn't ready for 90 mins yet. Could quite happily go with Reilly in one of the centre mid slots. I really hope we don't go 4-1-4-1. Tough game to start but we showed at Tynecastle, we're better when we've at least got an attacking mid playing behind the striker, rather than a defensive one sitting infront of the defence.

Given the injury situation, I wouldn't grumble at a point.

58 minutes ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Can't see Turner being left out,thought Anderson,Turner and Thomson in the middle played really well as a unit last week and will surely be given the chance to stake there claim.I thought Grant Anderson gave us that width on the right and Ryan Thomson with a pushing up Liam Dick against lesser oppo on the left with young Kyle sitting in looks good to me.Looking forward to this easier task,go for 2-0 blues.

I can't see Faz changing much from last Saturday's line-up, with the possible exception of adding Wallace back in and, perhaps, Belford. That apart, I thought last week's looked close to what I think will be our preferred starting eleven.

When fit, Lang might force his way in at the back.

56 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Goodfellow

Willis

Duggan

Assuming Hurst doesn't go straight in and Wilkie isn't ready for 90 mins yet. Could quite happily go with Reilly in one of the centre mid slots. I really hope we don't go 4-1-4-1. Tough game to start but we showed at Tynecastle, we're better when we've at least got an attacking mid playing behind the striker, rather than a defensive one sitting infront of the defence.

Miller x 2?

I thought the team looked good last Saturday as well and agree with Wallace and Belford perhaps coming back in. However, Agnew, has scored twice and has been a regular in the team (this season and last) and felt that could see him in ahead of Turner. A nice choice to have!

15 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

I thought the team looked good last Saturday as well and agree with Wallace and Belford perhaps coming back in. However, Agnew, has scored twice and has been a regular in the team (this season and last) and felt that could see him in ahead of Turner. A nice choice to have!

Agree, a good choice to have. Still don't think I'd change the midfield to accommodate him just now. Great player to be able to bring on at the customary 60 minutes though!

Who would you take out to introduce Wallace - is it as simple as Wallace for Okoh, leaving just one recognised forward?

1 hour ago, east fife for life said:

How great would it be to start the season with 3 points! I've no idea how we will get on this season! Hopefully Page and Smith will return soon. Good luck today! Mon the Fife

Thing is who do you take out to put them in ? 

21 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Goodfellow

Willis

Duggan

I think team will be similar to that I also wouldn't mind Reilly as we started to win when he was in there but good squad now which is a bonus 

Archived