Berwick Rangers v Clyde

The first League 2 match is now less than a week away. Berwick failed to win any group matches. We looked vulnerable down each flank especially against Ayr.
Can we expect any more signings before Saturday?
Are Berwick performing at all or are the results a true reflection of form?
(FAO Johnny Dapp)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should forget the Ayr result because we learned nothing new from it.

Over the season, there'll be those that focus on the weakness of the defence. And yes: we could use a Lithgow or McQueen type in there. But we've had Lithgow and been relegated. And we've had Marsh and McQueen and gotten nowhere. There's a reason for that and it has nothing to do with defenders. We should be doubling-down on the fact that we've gone without a proper engine room for roughly a decade now. Consider that, in that time, if you include returned loan players, we've had almost every kind of player leave us for full-time football except centre-midfielders. If there's an exception, it'll only reinforce the general point.

We could occasionally run a midfield with Bryson, McHale, O'Donnell and/or Masterton. And definitely with Jimmy Gibson, Andy Millen and/or Jack Ross. But since then? Nah. We've been absolute pushovers.

There is a passable defence in the players we've got at the moment, if they're put together wisely. And there's a good forward line, and good wide players in Ferguson and Ramsay. But we need at least two new players for the middle of the park. And I won't be told - again - that they don't exist. Brown Ferguson, Gary Fusco, Craig Molloy to some extent, Stuart Kettlewell when with QP, Neil MacFarlane, Stevie Masterton when he'd taken his brave pill... All of these players have played at this level and claimed the middle of the park for their teams. They do exist. Even Scott Linton was getting there.

Fix that, and we'll probably get a play-off.

We've had the (mis)fortune of the core of last season's squad being on two year contracts; this should hopefully help with togetherness and teamwork, but 16/17 wasn't the best of years play-wise. New boys Fleming and McDonald have impressed, and McRorie seems like a decent hire for in goal if very inexperienced (like the other loanees who are to provide some depth to the squad).

Haven't seen enough of Clyde to judge, but no doubt it'll be better than last season. Hoping for a cheeky draw to start.

Berwick away is always strange. We've lost 4-0 a couple of times, Pat Scullion I recall firing in a few golazos and David Gormley scored four in one match. I'd take a draw.

Berwick away is always strange. We've lost 4-0 a couple of times, Pat Scullion I recall firing in a few golazos and David Gormley scored four in one match. I'd take a draw.

A draw at Berwick let's reach for stars [emoji23]

17 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

13 posts and not one mention of friendship. Sickening

An outstanding post made by a man with an outstanding signature. 

I for one am all for sharing the points on Saturday. No matter what happens on the park, we all know that off it will be a festival of friendship - summarised beautifully by the post-match handshake and embrace the two JC's will have. :wub:  Hopefully Eric Tait bags an exclusive interview with the pair post match. #facilities 

Archived