2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It's a pity you couldn't have made it to the AGM to voice your concerns ...........or perhaps you were there but didn't have the balls to say it to folks' faces.  

By continually bleating about how shite we are , it makes you sound like a glory seeking OF fan who can't afford the season ticket. 

You ve offended a lot of folk in there . I could afford an old firm season ticket but choose too follow my local team.. Not all old firm fans are glory hunters .But heres a point were you at Averdeen friendly ? It was saddening to see so many Brechin folk supporting Aberdeen .. Far more than leave town weekly to follow Cellic n The Rangers.

I was at Agm , i have a season ticket and i sponsor a player .I help out at ground where and when time permits..I speak reguarly to committee mates as well .. But i am allowed to critisize.. 

Thats my first verbal off season already :thumsup2 and we re only 5 games n goals in 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CITY1974 said:

You ve offended a lot of folk in there . I could afford an old firm season ticket but choose too follow my local team.. Not all old firm fans are glory hunters .But heres a point were you at Averdeen friendly ? It was saddening to see so many Brechin folk supporting Aberdeen .. Far more than leave town weekly to follow Cellic n The Rangers.

I was at Agm , i have a season ticket and i sponsor a player .I help out at ground where and when time permits..I speak reguarly to committee mates as well .. But i am allowed to critisize.. 

Thats my first verbal off season already :thumsup2 and we re only 5 games n goals in 

I am sorry to offend but the continual criticism really gets to me . You are not the worst by any means just that your comment stuck out.  What is wrong with trying to remain positive ? As you say we are only 5 games  in ( one real meaningful one )  and folk are getting twitchy which in itself is quite alarming.  The OF comment is just a generalisation of folks expectations. Harsh but perhaps true in many cases. 

Most of OF guys i know have went for years n years and spent fortunes but do attend Glebe when they can and nvr belittle City... We ll all fall out over course of the season about City but i felt my comments yesterday were harsh but sadly the truth . we ve signed on paper 2 good ctre halves but its our old timers that have been the better performers so far .. I agree with you regards Isaac he will hit a purple patch .. Its lack of options up front thats frustrated me  i feel another striker in for cover and keep our 2 on their toes ...

17 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

Most of OF guys i know have went for years n years and spent fortunes but do attend Glebe when they can and nvr belittle City... We ll all fall out over course of the season about City but i felt my comments yesterday were harsh but sadly the truth . we ve signed on paper 2 good ctre halves but its our old timers that have been the better performers so far .. I agree with you regards Isaac he will hit a purple patch .. Its lack of options up front thats frustrated me  i feel another striker in for cover and keep our 2 on their toes ...

Good Center halfs on paper? Both untested at this level , jury's out on both I'm sorry to say

At the AGM it was clearly stated that we would not be splashing the cash on a much bigger squad, this due in part to having a very tough financial season last year.

However I do agree we need something more up top and try and play a system that allows us to move the ball through midfield rather than hitting it long. Watt will return shortly and improve the midfield element. Towards the end of the Falkirk game when we changed the system we created more - I would prefer this system and give us a chance than a defensive one that has proofed that we still concede goals. As I said to my son we had played 9 games up to yesterday and not had the same 11 for any of them and pretty much played Sat / Tues for that time with not much training pitch time - Of course F/T will be further down the road for prep. We also knew there would days it just will not work for us - I am not worrying too much.

On the finances, I would rather we were able to balance the books at the end of the season rather than look back at opportunity lost to stabilise the finances and secure the short term future of the club. If any complainers to this thinking disagree then they should have said so at the AGM. 

Lets just get on with the season.

A lot of supporters really don't seem to grasp just how important it is to balance the books this year. It would be great to be able to throw the extra revenue on a few more players to strengthen the squad but it's a big gamble. If we did that and still got relegated, we'd have to make major cuts next season which could easily result in plummeting down to league 2.

We have to ensure that if (or when) we are relegated, that we are in a strong financial position to go again for promotion.

We have to ensure that if (or when) we are relegated, that we are in a strong financial position to go again for promotion.

I've not been keeping up with Brechin's financial side so am extremely ignorant here but just reading that kind of confuses me. With clubs like ours financial survival is obviously the number one priority but if Brechin were more focussed on keeping money back for a promotion push next season then what's the point of this season? Don't spend so they can have a go at promotion next season? They're already in this division, shouldn't they take a punt at trying to stay in it rather than worry about a go at promotion next year?

I've not been keeping up with Brechin's financial side so am extremely ignorant here but just reading that kind of confuses me. With clubs like ours financial survival is obviously the number one priority but if Brechin were more focussed on keeping money back for a promotion push next season then what's the point of this season? Don't spend so they can have a go at promotion next season? They're already in this division, shouldn't they take a punt at trying to stay in it rather than worry about a go at promotion next year?

If we have a 'punt' this season and still end up going down (highly likely with only one other part time side in the division) then we'd be in real financial trouble.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

We have tried taking a punt when being in the same position before and the so called experienced players have let us down badly.  We have a relatively young squad the bulk of whom worked well together last season. It makes sense (  to most of us anyway ) to try to work with these guys this year and try to get the best out of them  again.  Maybe strengthen throughout the season with a couple of loan signings if need be. 

We will have a better idea of how the finances are holding out by the half way point and maybe then we can think about strengthening .  It's all about living within your means.  Hopefully the management will make the right decisions at the right time. 

Feared the worst going into the game but was very pleased with the way we handled things and nice to head home on the back of scoring four goals.

What can you say about Lyle? Before Dobbie he was our best player and he still remains one of our most important. Nice finish for the first goal although a bit scrappy at the second. Could have had a couple more.

Never felt our lead was in danger at any point, even with Leighfield in goal. Brechin needed to get up the pitch a bit for 5-10 minutes when he came on to try and put balls in on top of him and see what he was made of.

Feel sorry for Brechin fans as there is no way this team is staying up. Gonna be a long slog. Credit to Naysmith and our lads for doing what was expected and getting the win but will not be getting carried away with a home win over the poorest team in the division.

the reserve goalie is extremely dodgy

I presume you've reached this definitive conclusion after taking in plenty of past youth fixtures analysing young Jack's performances? In which case it's quite strange that he even got promoted to the first team squad.

Sorry but seriously, what rubbish people come out with! Leighfield could have a mare on Saturday but how on earth can you claim he's dodgy after seeing 90min against a Brechin team that barely got into our penalty box.

1 hour ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

Great highlights as always. Danny's chance immediately after the 2nd goal was a little harder than I recalled at the time. He still should have scored though. I hadn't appreciated how well Lyndon did on both the 3rd and 4th goals, particularly the 3rd, catching Dyer in possession and running through a clear foul. Had forgotten the one from Rankin Brechin cleared off the line second half too. Add in the one cleared from Rooney on to the bar first half and we should probably have had 6 or 7. Brechin will have better days and were without 3 or 4 first teamers but we did play well on Saturday.

Good highlights as ever. Wee Dan obviously got dizzy being that close to a goal. He really should have scored. With a bit more composure he could have taken a touch and scored or laid it off to Rankin. Thankfully it didn't matter in the end.

Still pretty gutted we conceded in such a dominant game. The goal itself although well worked was easily preventable. Rooney takes the blame from me. Fordyce was applying pressure to the man out wide and didn't need an extra body as the boy wasn't going anywhere. Rooney went to support. If he'd stayed with his runner I doubt the ball would have made it to the box. The boy who scored was also completely unmarked. At the time I thought he came in at the backpost and automatically thought it was Marshall's man. Watching it back Marshall has Jackson so can't be blamed there. It looked like Stirling's man.

We'll need to get our basics sorted for next week or it could be a long 90 minutes.

Watching it back, I thought Lyndon and dan were better than I remember on Saturday. I thought they had good games but there involved in near everything... good to see.

Agree with above Rooneys fault for their goal, no need for him to double up. Apart from that I thought he done well on Saturday though.

17 hours ago, fergoo said:

Feared the worst going into the game but was very pleased with the way we handled things and nice to head home on the back of scoring four goals.

What can you say about Lyle? Before Dobbie he was our best player and he still remains one of our most important. Nice finish for the first goal although a bit scrappy at the second. Could have had a couple more.

Never felt our lead was in danger at any point, even with Leighfield in goal. Brechin needed to get up the pitch a bit for 5-10 minutes when he came on to try and put balls in on top of him and see what he was made of.

Feel sorry for Brechin fans as there is no way this team is staying up. Gonna be a long slog. Credit to Naysmith and our lads for doing what was expected and getting the win but will not be getting carried away with a home win over the poorest team in the division.

Hard to say after just one game.  We said when we played Falkirk in the cup that they would be a team challenging for promotion and they went and got humped by St Mirren. 

It's a funny game and fortunes can turn quickly. ...........At least that is what I am trying to convince myself !!!  8)

Just watched the highlights, some our defending there is atrocious. Absolutely nobody picking Lyle up for the opener and 3rd and 4th goals come from inexcusable mistakes. This is learning curve for the vast majority of our players who haven't played at the level and hopefully things will improve.

On a positive note our goal was very well worked. A really neat passing move, we know we are capable of that.

Great highlights as per.  Nothing really to clear up, it just hammered home all of the good stuff we did on the day and the not so good stuff by Brechin.  Possible penalty shout for the handball in the first half?  We'd probably have missed it anyway had it been given!  I don't want to be too harsh on anyone for the goal we conceded, I'll leave analysing that one to Naysmith and Anderson and just tip my cap to a nicely worked move.

What a guy Derek Lyle is.  I bet part of him was happy to see Dobbie out the side so he could be the main man again.  He certainly lived up to it.

The opposition had a nightmare but the fact we could easily have had 7 goals without Dobbie is encouraging!

Hopefully this will be a huge confidence booster for the rest of the team; easily scoring 4 without him.

Archived