Sons v Ton

Now that the League cup is over for both sides, we can get on with proper fitba. I'm not expecting much from this as we have a load of injuries and Hutton is suspended but we might get a couple of loan signings this week if last year is anything to go by. Plus we're slow starters!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not expecting much from this as we have a load of injuries and Harkins is suspended but we might get a couple of loan signings this week if last year is anything to go by. Plus we're slow starters!

As GiGi says we've a load of injuries right now at the back. Iredale did well today, I think he'll start and it'll be interesting to see how he does against better opposition. Hope our strikers have the same shooting boots they had on today. 

Having only seen yesterdays game so far I thought we looked good going forward and will score goals this season. Thompson, quitongo and mchugh looked sharp and we still have Oliver to come back. We haven't addressed last season's defensive and goalkeeping issues though and I also think the midfield may struggle against a more physical side. Still missing a Jamie lindsay type player, a winger, dominant centre half and another keeper imo but doubt we'll see all of these come in. 

If we get some of our injured players back then I think we'll win by the odd goal. 2-1 morton Thompson and mchugh. 

12 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Not enjoying this lack of Morton confidence. Tell us we're part-time diddies and you fully expect to slay us with a Thommo double and I'll feel much better.

A Robert Thomson double to slap these part time diddies upside the head.

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Having only seen yesterdays game so far I thought we looked good going forward and will score goals this season. Thompson, quitongo and mchugh looked sharp and we still have Oliver to come back. We haven't addressed last season's defensive and goalkeeping issues though and I also think the midfield may struggle against a more physical side. Still missing a Jamie lindsay type player, a winger, dominant centre half and another keeper imo but doubt we'll see all of these come in. 

If we get some of our injured players back then I think we'll win by the odd goal. 2-1 morton Thompson and mchugh. 

Defensive issues? We had the 3rd best defense last season and only a goal off being joint 2nd with Falkirk.

Our issue last season was scoring goals, 3rd worst. Hopefully the signings of McHugh and Thomson will improve that this season!

1 hour ago, madton said:

Defensive issues? We had the 3rd best defense last season and only a goal off being joint 2nd with Falkirk.

Our issue last season was scoring goals, 3rd worst. Hopefully the signings of McHugh and Thomson will improve that this season!

We didn't win a game in the last quarter of the season, lost daft goals and we were generally defensively weaker without Gunning. This still needs addressed imo. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

I was impressed by McManus and he could do the defensive midfield role Lindsay had last season. He's obviously being played out of position just now at CB but looks to have the right qualities for the midfield role.

We could do with another pacey winger in the same mold of Nesbitt which means we could have more tactical options.  We also need another back up keeper who will put real pressure on Gaston. We can't go through another season where he is guaranteed his place in the team every week no matter how he's playing. I like Gaston and think he gets more criticism than he deserves, but you can't take away his dip in form last season. A season where we had no credible alternative.   

I liked the look of Iredale and he could be a real find. But he's still a bit raw and untested against better quality opposition. Once we get O'Ware, Kilday and Lamie back I's be quite happy with the out field defensive options for the season.

Midfield looks decent  with the added addition of McManus. Up front we now have real options in McHugh, Quitongo, Thomson and Oliver.

We're not far away from having a real decent side 

17 hours ago, microdave said:

I'm not expecting much from this as we have a load of injuries and Hutton is suspended but we might get a couple of loan signings this week if last year is anything to go by. Plus we're slow starters!

17 hours ago, GiGi said:

I'm not expecting much from this as we have a load of injuries and Harkins is suspended but we might get a couple of loan signings this week if last year is anything to go by. Plus we're slow starters!

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

A lack of Kyle Hutton significantly improves your chances of taking anything. 

A lack of Gary Harkins significantly improves our chances of taking anything. 

Tell us we're Your part-time diddies and I fully expect to slay you with a Thommo double  and not only you but I'll feel much better.

Hope that makes you feel included BBPF.

Back to real life, entry terms for Saturday, I take it our fans card won't work here just like at Cappie.

What's your charges this season and is it all ticket? or is that just for champs elect St Mirren!

Harkins is suspended

Also known as a cruel hammer blow to Dumbarton's chances.

If Dumbarton have as many defensive absences as ourselves then I'll think we'll win. I expect our shan, makeshift defence to leak goals though so if Dumbarton can keep our forward line quiet then the routine 3-0 shame game remains on the cards.

Tell us we're Your part-time diddies and I fully expect to slay you with a Thommo double  and not only you but I'll feel much better.
Hope that makes you feel included BBPF.
Back to real life, entry terms for Saturday, I take it our fans card won't work here just like at Cappie.
What's your charges this season and is it all ticket? or is that just for champs elect St Mirren!

Our prices are an utterly vile 20 quid a skull for a full adult. I've no idea what concessions/parent and child prices are but no doubt they will also be shite.

Every fan of The Famous should insist on concession entry against those money-grabbing, snake owners. Or just watch the game from that failed attempt at a castle instead.

Sad!

1501438232185.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our prices are an utterly vile 20 quid a skull for a full adult. I've no idea what concessions/parent and child prices are but no doubt they will also be shite.

We're caught between a rock and a hard place.

In an ideal world prices would be capped. Personally I think £15 would be the maximum amount that should be charged in our league, with £18 in the top flight, £13 in league 1 and a tenner in league 2.

If we were to drop our prices across the board then would we see an increased capacity at Dumbarton home games? Almost certainly not in sufficient numbers to make up for the lost income. If it was a straight up choice of 700 fans paying £20 or 1000 paying £14 then its clear that we'd go for the numbers every time. Numbers generate atmosphere. Numbers generate interest. Numbers give us a fanbase we can do things with.

In reality we'd draw no more than 800 home fans and end up losing nearly £3,000 a game.

Dumbarton, the Vale of Leven, Helensburgh and the surrounding areas really don't care about our club. Thats the big problem we need to address. Unfortunately recognising it is only a small step. How do you actually go about getting fans along to their local club? How do you stop the cars and busses that go to Glasgow every other Saturday to go to the Your Radio Stadium? The utterly ludicrous sight of a banner with the words "Dumbarton Loyal" in the AWAY end of our ground. The complete fucknuttery of locals wishing our club went bankrupt because we dared to sign Ian Durant as assistant manager and he happened to play for the half of the old firm that they don't support.

Price is a small part of a massive problem and the fans who do go end up paying dearly for it.

Archived