Sons v Ton

A few positives for the Sons. I thought we stood up to be counted pretty well in the first half, with Roy and McLaughlin more than passing muster. Barr, Gallacher Wardrop and Wilson also put in a decent shift and we survived yon 5 minute spell at the end when Morton looked as if they might burgle the points.

The officials were terrible, but the bookings for Lamie, Forbes and Quitongo were justified. Lamie's behaviour was worthy of a brainless petulant P7 wean.

Nade did look pretty well done after the hour mark.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That incident with Nade was the prime example of the referee's ineptitude. When Nade was on the deck sitting on or holding the ball the ref calls a foul in Morton's favour which was the correct call. After a brief spate of dummy spitting and pushing Dumbarton were taking the free kick. 

I have no idea when or why he reversed the decision.

That went pretty much as I expected from our point of view, but don't interpret that as satisfaction.  We need to hope that Handling can provide some creativity in the midfield as we looked totally devoid of it today.  Whilst there were some good individual performances - Wardrop, Hill, Barr and my MotM Dowie- there were a number of peripheral ones - Wilson, Walsh and Stewart.  Roy looked dynamite in flashes, but too often makes the wrong decisions, as does our 'keeper, albeit he looks a great short-stopper.

Morton were poor in the final third, but we simply won't get away with so much pinball in our box on a regular basis.  A point to open with is not too shabby but there will need to be steady improvement from here on; I'm sure SA and ID realise that.

7 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We started the game well but didnt really keep that going. I thought we sat back too deep at times and allowed Morton to press onto us. When you have an opponent like Ross Forbes you simply can't allow him time and space to try to dictate the game. Play on his lack of fitness by closing him down and pressing him into making a pass rather than sitting back and inviting him to do it.

The best Morton chances came in the 2nd half when Gallacher looked decent enough stopping shots but doesnt look like he's in command of his area. That might come with game time, but there were a few moments when Dowie was (rightly) going mental at him.

Referee had a really inconsistent game. At times he was trying to let the game flow and played good advantage. Other times he was way too picky. For a game with few bad tackles, it threatened to boil over a wee bit when Nade was on the deck in the 2nd half.

Can't really comment much on Morton's individual performances. Looks like a team that still needs to click from midfield to attack - particularly with Quitongo coming back from injury and Thompson having just signed. That'll come in time.

From our point of view? Defence looked ok, but the keeper doesnt fill me with confidence at crosses or when he's deciding to either come for a ball or to let his defenders deal with it. Craig Barr was effective in midfield and can be relied on to do the grafting but we need more creativity. Wilson isnt great in possession and Handling will hopefully offer us a lot more in that respect. Ally Roy was full of running. End product isnt always there but he's a grafter and the work he does to track back and help his fullback is impressive. Mark Stewart runs about a lot. No real end product. Hopefully that'll come as he gets used to working off Nade winning headers or holding up the ball at his feet before releasing a pass to his strike partner. Tom Walsh was very quiet and didnt really influence the game much.

0-0 a fair result on the day. We survived a couple of scares largely of our own making but didnt really test the Morton keeper with anything. Given the scale of the squad changes at Dumbarton, it's probably a very creditable result. We'll hopefully be a better side going into the autumn when we get guys working together with a bit more understanding.

I think your criticism of Gallacher can be put down to poor communication and indecisiveness under pressure. That should improve as players bed in.

Good to see the captain going mental because of incidents that could cost us dear, that's his job.

Meh is definitely the word.  Could have been a decent game if the ref wasn't determined to stop every 10 seconds.  We were very lucky not to be punished by Morton near the end when Gallagher and the defence had a mix-up.  Fair play to him for making a few big saves afterwards but he was looking like a bombscare anytime a cross came in from corners or open play - not sold on him yet.  Walsh was anonymous for most of the game and unfortunately looks like he's picking up where he left off after his loan spell.  Roy flying past players was promising but his end product is awful - no way he is a striker.  That being said I think he'll be a good player for us if we keep him on the wing.  Most of our dangerous attacks were through him.

All in all we have a point in the bank and there are some encouraging signs that we have a decent team.  However there are just as many reasons to be concerned and I personally think we're going to be up against it more than usual this season.  Time will tell.

42 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That went pretty much as I expected from our point of view, but don't interpret that as satisfaction.  We need to hope that Handling can provide some creativity in the midfield as we looked totally devoid of it today.  Whilst there were some good individual performances - Wardrop, Hill, Barr and my MotM Dowie- there were a number of peripheral ones - Wilson, Walsh and Stewart.  Roy looked dynamite in flashes, but too often makes the wrong decisions, as does our 'keeper, albeit he looks a great short-stopper.

Morton were poor in the final third, but we simply won't get away with so much pinball in our box on a regular basis.  A point to open with is not too shabby but there will need to be steady improvement from here on; I'm sure SA and ID realise that.

To be fair, we had an entire midfield absent today. Gallacher simply needs to be more decisive and to 1) Shout and 2) Be shouted at.

Dowie shouted at him AFTER the fact. Perhaps that miught have been a bit more effective at the "Your/My ball" stage.

That incident with Nade was the prime example of the referee's ineptitude. When Nade was on the deck sitting on or holding the ball the ref calls a foul in Morton's favour which was the correct call. After a brief spate of dummy spitting and pushing Dumbarton were taking the free kick. 

You missed out the part where Lamie feigned injury in an attempt to get Nade booked

Overall better than i expected. I don't get why with wind adv we sat back and let Morton have an easy ride at the back.

thought our back 4 did well but no doubting we lacked drive going forward and nade isn't mobile enough to be left up alone.mark Stewart was a big disappointment for me.

if anything Morton could ha e nicked it by at least pushing us in last five mins .

stevie did identify in the pre match reflection on players who have left that he would have looked for a striker had it not been for the injuries.

as said better than I thought and something to work on 

Meh is definitely the word.  Could have been a decent game if the ref wasn't determined to stop every 10 seconds. 

Unless he ordered the two starting elevens replaced then no, it wouldn't have been a decent game.

Fair result IMO. Our back 4 look decent and all played well yesterday. Roy looks effective out wide but needs to strengthen up and must work on his finishing. Centre mids all worked hard but we have no creativity in there at all. Hoping that Handling is the guy to change that. Up front we look light which is a concern. Nade can't last 90 mins never mind a full season and Stewart seems to run out of puff too. Walsh out wide didn't really do a lot so hard to judge thus far. Gallagher in goal is a real concern as we have improved our defence but there is little point if your keeper has zero confidence or presence.Folk go on about his shot stopping but seriously the guy is a bomb scare. He waited on 2 low crossed balls in the 1st half and don't get me started on his hesitation during the 2nd half. I know it is still early days but if I was the opposition manager I would be telling them to get high and crossed balls right on top of Gallagher.

18 hours ago, GiGi said:

It was the linesman who gave the foul. The ref assumed it was against Nade, but the linesman correctly told him that the Morton player had committed the foul.

54 minutes ago, Rockstar said:

It is clear we need a Pacey striker up there with Nade or Stewart. Shankland might be worth a punt as he has good potential. 

I'd prefer we go for Oli Shaw (if we can get him in on loan) instead of Shankland.

Since moving to Rothesay I have grown to like Greenock as I do some shopping there and use local tradesman. Not 5 star but have used the waterfront digs for midweek games against Morton and midweek home games for our home games £31 is great value. James Watt is the best wetherspoons I have been in. The game , after yesterday's win against Falkirk came away feeling good as we look how we finished the tail end of last season so ( hope ) a good season is ahead. Morton were good in the most part last season but did not have the stamina for the full season. How you are with new additions to the squad I have no idea so will find out on Saturday.

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Having watched the highlights I have 2 things to add. Scott Gallacher is bonkers and Ricky Lamie :lol:

The mess he made of things with Nade at the stand side touchline in the 2nd half. Jeebus.

Tries to have a wee sly kick when Nade is on the deck and he's caught up in Christian's legs.

Falls over as Nade tries to get up.

Holds his knee and looks at the ref.

I'd be ashamed if our players tried that.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The mess he made of things with Nade at the stand side touchline in the 2nd half. Jeebus.

Tries to have a wee sly kick when Nade is on the deck and he's caught up in Christian's legs.

Falls over as Nade tries to get up.

Holds his knee and looks at the ref.

I'd be ashamed if our players tried that.

A Dumbarton player jumped up in the air and did the whole dying fly thing with the arms outstretched and screaming like a wee bitch. Glad you're ashamed of that sort of thing.

Archived