Sons v Ton

Anger at the referee is glossing over the fact that neither team has shown any indication of being capable of breaking down a defence. The only real chance in the game has came from a centre back completely missing an aimless punt up the park.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad!

Draw was the correct result, as although Dumbarton looked abject, Morton could be playing all night and wouldn't have scored. The players do not understand that 4-3-3 formation, but more concerningly Duffy has no apparent plan B when it doesn't work.

The referee is not the reason we didn't win, but you have to mention is involvement in a game in which he totally spoilt.  

I'd love to see the stats of have many fouls he gave with some ridiculous bookings.  He never at any point let the game flow and made sure he was going to be the talking point.

For the game itself Dumbarton defended well and fair play to them. We couldn't break them down as we offered absolute nothing on the flanks - nothing!

We just couldn't stretch their defence at all and they lapped up the inevitable high ball.

The 4-3-3 is not working as we have the most immobile midfield I can remember. And there is no out ball to the wide areas. Someone saying Nesbitt was in the stand watching the game. Well I hope Duffy is on the phone to Celtic on Monday morning as we were crying out for someone like that today.

We were never in danger of losing the game and a point was a fair result, but it already feels like 2 points dropped..

Referee thought we had waited months to see him... 

Only ourselves to blame for not winning though. The system doesn't work and the front 3 were interchanging too much if anything. Quitongo was the worst player on the park. 

We watched the ball get caught up in the wind for the entire first half... so what did we do when we came out for the start of the 2nd? Hoofball. 

I'd be equally concerned as a Dumbarton fan though, playing for a draw at home on the first day of the season. 

1 minute ago, #Gary said:

Referee thought we had waited months to see him... 

Only ourselves to blame for not winning though. The system doesn't work and the front 3 were interchanging too much if anything. Quitongo was the worst player on the park. 

We watched the ball get caught up in the wind for the entire first half... so what did we do when we came out for the start of the 2nd? Hoofball. 

I'd be equally concerned as a Dumbarton fan though, playing for a draw at home on the first day of the season. 

Nah, Mark Stewart was easily the worst player on the park.

We started the game well but didnt really keep that going. I thought we sat back too deep at times and allowed Morton to press onto us. When you have an opponent like Ross Forbes you simply can't allow him time and space to try to dictate the game. Play on his lack of fitness by closing him down and pressing him into making a pass rather than sitting back and inviting him to do it.

The best Morton chances came in the 2nd half when Gallacher looked decent enough stopping shots but doesnt look like he's in command of his area. That might come with game time, but there were a few moments when Dowie was (rightly) going mental at him.

Referee had a really inconsistent game. At times he was trying to let the game flow and played good advantage. Other times he was way too picky. For a game with few bad tackles, it threatened to boil over a wee bit when Nade was on the deck in the 2nd half.

Can't really comment much on Morton's individual performances. Looks like a team that still needs to click from midfield to attack - particularly with Quitongo coming back from injury and Thompson having just signed. That'll come in time.

From our point of view? Defence looked ok, but the keeper doesnt fill me with confidence at crosses or when he's deciding to either come for a ball or to let his defenders deal with it. Craig Barr was effective in midfield and can be relied on to do the grafting but we need more creativity. Wilson isnt great in possession and Handling will hopefully offer us a lot more in that respect. Ally Roy was full of running. End product isnt always there but he's a grafter and the work he does to track back and help his fullback is impressive. Mark Stewart runs about a lot. No real end product. Hopefully that'll come as he gets used to working off Nade winning headers or holding up the ball at his feet before releasing a pass to his strike partner. Tom Walsh was very quiet and didnt really influence the game much.

0-0 a fair result on the day. We survived a couple of scares largely of our own making but didnt really test the Morton keeper with anything. Given the scale of the squad changes at Dumbarton, it's probably a very creditable result. We'll hopefully be a better side going into the autumn when we get guys working together with a bit more understanding.

Archived