Best Junior team who never won the Scottish Cup

Raffs

1 hour ago, HTG said:

The Linlithgow team in 2013. Any team that goes 51 games and 14 months unbeaten has to have a bit about it and the performances during that cup run against Ardrossan, Arthurlie and Bo'ness in particular were outstanding. No complaints about the result in the final on the day and of course losing to Talbot who were also in the processof winning their league unbeaten was a reflection that they were also an excellent side. 

whichever side won that final was definitely going down as one of the all time great Junior sides because of the unbeaten runs. You rarely get a Junior final with 2 teams as good or as evenly matched as that. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Quantum Leap said:

I didn't think they were evenly matched.
Talbot were a far better team than Linlithgow that season and completely outclassed them in the final. Talbot really should have scored more than one.

Did you not score with your only shot on target - deserved  winners but hardly outclassed.

3 hours ago, Quantum Leap said:

I didn't think they were evenly matched.
Talbot were a far better team than Linlithgow that season and completely outclassed them in the final. Talbot really should have scored more than one.

Talbot were certainly a better team on the day. However you saw one game where I saw 50 and I am confident that the football that team played for the vast majority of that season was on a par with what the 2002 and 2007 Rose teams produced and was better than the 2010 team which won the cup. From a Linlithgow perspective these previous teams form a decent benchmark. We've already acknowledged that the 2013 Talbot team was quality - in most seasons though, you don't find 2 teams in the final who have played to that standard so consistently. 

Good thread this, brings back some old memories. Cumnock side of the early to mid 70s were very good, who can forget the 5th round clash with Talbot in 75, still by far the biggest crowd I ever seen in a Junior ground, incredible atmosphere. However, in Bull's desperation to name Cambuslang as the greatest ever, he forgot another top side in the Bo'ness of that era, who dispatched Cumnock round after the epic Tabot tie.

Lot said about the 80s Kilbirnie side, who have to be one of the best sides to miss out in winning the Scottish. Honestly, in the semis in 86 and the final in 87 against Talbot they were the better football side. But Talbot's will to win and never say die got them through. Ladeside were a cracking team and Talbot poached half their team with Mills being the best Junior player I have seen. 

However, the team that should have won the cup is Talbot 1979, ironically Cumnock won it, they did get their hands on the trophy in the 70s eventually, but for me it should have been Talbot. Won everything else that season including a 4-0 thumping of the Scottish champions in the final of the West, which was a very prestigious trophy at the time. Dispatched early from the Scottish after two replays by a Maryhill side including Jim Duffy. 

Good thread this, brings back some old memories. Cumnock side of the early to mid 70s were very good, who can forget the 5th round clash with Talbot in 75, still by far the biggest crowd I ever seen in a Junior ground, incredible atmosphere. However, in Bull's desperation to name Cambuslang as the greatest ever, he forgot another top side in the Bo'ness of that era, who dispatched Cumnock round after the epic Tabot tie.
Lot said about the 80s Kilbirnie side, who have to be one of the best sides to miss out in winning the Scottish. Honestly, in the semis in 86 and the final in 87 against Talbot they were the better football side. But Talbot's will to win and never say die got them through. Ladeside were a cracking team and Talbot poached half their team with Mills being the best Junior player I have seen. 
However, the team that should have won the cup is Talbot 1979, ironically Cumnock won it, they did get their hands on the trophy in the 70s eventually, but for me it should have been Talbot. Won everything else that season including a 4-0 thumping of the Scottish champions in the final of the West, which was a very prestigious trophy at the time. Dispatched early from the Scottish after two replays by a Maryhill side including Jim Duffy. 

Your right ISA , not sure how Cumnock and Talbot didn't win the cup a few times then as they both had cracking teams right through the 70's
I still think that the Cambuslang team around the early 70's was the best junior team I ever saw and I also agree that Gordon Mills was a brilliant player, although at the time I probably cursed him more than a few times !!!!

I remember the regular battles between big Geordie Rattray and Boab McCulloch, when they knocked lumps out of each other during a game....... happy days

In our history I'd say there were three Neilston sides easily good enough to have won the cup.

The 1946/47 side who were Western League Champions (and Western League Cup winners) with 113 goals in 28 league matches (ironically put out in the first round of the Scottish!). 

The 1964/65 side who were put out by Kilsyth Rangers with a late goal in the quarter finals in front of a big crowd at Duncansfield.

The 2002/03 side who lost the first ever Super Premier League title on goal difference to Pollok.  Alan Urquhart, Brian Hewitt, Robert Anderson, Michael Fallen, Andy Whiteford, Robert Fox, Chris Aitken, Tam Murdoch, Chris McKee, Gordon Cochrane, Sammy Johnston, Alan Waddell etc.  Although put out in the 4th round, that side still won the SJFA award for tournament top scorers with 28 goals.

Enjoying this thread and remember some of the teams mentioned. From our perspective ,history has shown we weren't good enough,but I would have loved to have seen a Vics team from mid to late 70's lift the big cup.

During this period, won our league and the Scarlett(1st north Ayrshire team to do it,I think),semi finalists in the West a couple of times,beat the 1977 Kilbirnie team in the quarters of the Ayrshire,,after we let them parade their trophy,Beith in the semi-finals, then lost on penalties to the Dodgers in a replayed final, with their goalkeeper scoring the winning penalty. I think the final penalty count was 10-9 in their favour!

T

On 7/29/2017 at 18:55, Father Ted said:

Lesmahagow team late 80s and early 90s, under Billy Whitefield.

Lost in 90 final v Hill of Beath 1-0. Never played to their full potential that day. Couple of semi appearances around that time.

90 Semi v Whitburn at Brockville was easily the best game of football I've ever witnessed. 3-2 to Gow in extra time. Down to ten men due to injury. Big Owen Waters crashes in a forty yarder to take us to final.

Yes, that was a great game. Gow 2-0 up but Whitburn pulled it back. Waters was an ex-Whitburn player too, just to make it all the harder to take.

On 2 August 2017 at 13:44, Quantum Leap said:

I thought Talbot were very average for most of the 70,s or at least thats what I've been told.
I started to watch Talbot mid to late 70,s and remember watching us getting put out the Scottish by Duntocher Hibs at home.

I Remember that Duntocher game, pishin doon for the whole game and played in a mud bath. Talbot almost went out the game in the early 70s but a meeting in the village and a new committee started the rebirth. 79 was a cracking team. 

On 02/08/2017 at 20:09, desmond tutu said:

Neilstons team 1965-1966 good team Dixie Deans striker,went to third game at Renfrew shettleston won 1-0.

And defender Tommy McMillan went on to make 265 appearances for Aberdeen and win the 1970 Scottish Cup against Celtic.

Archived