Best Junior team who never won the Scottish Cup

Raffs

Are the Kello Rovers of the mid 1970s the best Junior team who never won the cup.  A team full of star players who swept all before them.  Who could ever forget Hitchell, Brown, Black, White, Shenning to name but a few.  I think it would take a lot to beat the Super K as the best.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Irvine Meadow side of maybe 5-10 years ago must be up there, won leagues cups etc, packed full of top players couldn't win the Scottish

Always blew it in the big games. The quarter final defeat to Largs probably being the most disappointing.

Just now, Shanner said:

Cracking Kilbirnie teams of the late 80's losing out to Talbot a couple of times iirc.

Would agree with this. Talbot beat them in the semi and then the final the following year. After the Final defeat the team broke up and Kilbirnie have never been as good since

59 minutes ago, .Stuart. said:

Always blew it in the big games. The quarter final defeat to Largs probably being the most disappointing.

Seemed to be the way of things. Lost to lesser opposition s often as they did to the bigger sides and never really had convincing cup runs. 

Dominated the league for a bit though. 

I'm talking bout 90 to 94 if u remember beith dismantled that good Talbot team in the west 5-1 the next season

Talbot were on the downward spiral then with backstabber Minford as manager .

he was a bad Ladeside manager he ran the team like an amateur pals  team , same players every week every season ! Walker came and he tried to stir things up and more chaos ensued ..

1 hour ago, classof2010 said:

Beith would of put up a better performance in the final than glenafton I'd have fancied beith and if memory serves me that was the last time Talbot won the Scottish in a while so Talbot didn't stop beith

but Glenafton were far to good for Beith 4-1 i recall and Talbot were to good for Glenafton 4-1 in the final ..

Cracking Kilbirnie teams of the late 80's losing out to Talbot a couple of times at the business end of the cup iirc.

Was a wonderful side that we had & only naivety , a touch of greediness & a tad idiocy cost us. . Talbot went on to greatness we went to mediocrity & then George Wa***r hit . What would have been if our committee at the time pushed the boat out a bit more & offered Pirie , Lyden & Mills the extra few quid a week instead of letting them join our biggest rivals at the time .Talbot won 3 Scottish in a row . We got to a semi , a final & 2 quarters in 4 years .

^^^Sorry Muggo, I've got to correct you here...I know you were only young at the time, but you've fallen into the trap of believing a wee bit of urban myth.

Chub & Hughie left Ladeside to go (with our blessings) to Partick Thistle. They were not "let go to our biggest rivals" by the committee. They signed for Auchinleck Talbot from Partick Thistle...not from Ladeside.

Also,...and someone can correct me if I'm wrong...Gordon was always an amateur at Ladeside and could go wherever he wanted at the end of the season. I'm pretty sure Mr. Knox would've tapped him up because he was an astute manager at the time and would understandably have been looking at all the best players for his own team but that is beside the point. Gordon drove a Porsche in 1986 (courtesy of Helga's parents)...do you really think he would have gone "for a few extra quid" if Sconie hadn't been breaking up that team anyway ? Gordon saw Calum Campbell & Morton Milne arriving and thought he'd have better chances elsewhere. As it turned out...he did.

Archived