Charlie Gard

Romeo

Well, what to say...

A few points we can all agree on. Having a sick child or losing a child is absolutely horrific, I can't even begin to imaging the utter horror of having to deal with something like this.

I tried to have the conversation with Mrs Romeo (a fully signed up member of facebook life) about this. tried to get the point across that the parents were in fact bampots who were basically telling the hospital, the staff and the judiciary what was to happen and if anyone said anything different then they were evil and didn't have the best interests of charlie at heart.

Mrs Romeo will hear none of it though, the parents are heroes battling to the end for their child.

What thinks you P&B? 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never been in the position those parents are and I would hope I never am. I've also never been in the position of having a family member or anyone I know be effectively braindead and kept alive by machines (as I understand the situation, though I'm sure I'm missing some details). For myself, I wouldn't want to be kept alive if I was in that sort of state and I wouldn't want someone I knew to be kept alive with very little chance of any meaningful recovery.

My somewhat superficial judgement of the parents and their, on the face of it, appalling treatment of the doctors and the hospital is that they feel powerless at having had a child and all the assorted hopes that go along with that only to see them unfulfillable through no fault of anyone. As a result they seem to have criticised anyone and everyone who's involved in the care of the baby and it's been a complete disaster. Because I've never been in their place I don't feel right judging them no matter how unedifying their criticism of everything from the biggest children's hospital in the country to the entire judicial system has been, but I don't think they've handled the situation well at all. The interruptions from the Pope and Donald fucking Trump a few weeks ago added a surreal tinge to the whole thing that it mercifully seems to have recovered from since, but it's still been horrible viewing.

Of course, the amount of seemingly immaculately staged pictures of the two of them that have adorned the news (and why is he always wearing a fucking England top?) make me somewhat cynical, but I can turn the telly off so it's not so bad.

That's a good post Miguel.

The thing that I keep thinking is that unfortunately these are not the only parents in the world to have suffered similar / worse situations yet it has been blown out of all proportions and the professionalism and judgement of one of the best Children's Hospital in the world is being brought into question in the public eye.

I don't usually get too worked up about these kind of things but I think, because this came to national attention around the same time my daughter was born, this has made for really difficult reading at times.

I don't know if how they've handled it is the correct way to go, but I can't 100% say I'd do things differently. I don't imagine I'd be making the most rational of decisions.

This has been discussed elsewhere on P&B - annoying Facebook thread I think but it probably merits a wider audience. Do people really care about the kid? Do they know enough about the situation to offer comments on the medical professionals?

Things like this are really just an opportunity for people to seek attention IMO. You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel something for parents losing a kid but it's a deeply personal thing for that family, nothing to do with the rest of us. 

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The parents did what any parents would do.

I don't think this is the case.

There will have been plenty of parents in that situation that would have taken the hospitals advice at face value and proceeded on that basis.

14 minutes ago, monkeyblair said:

Good article - anything that is that long and I read it to the end must be!

You're not noted for your attention span right enough. Or ability to read. I may venture across.

If anyone thinks the staff at GOS were invested in anything but the best outcome for that bairn then they are off their nut. The combination of press invitation and intrusion has been odious. 

You'd be made of rivets and metal not to feel for the parents. Some of the noise makers ... not so much. 

Just now, Romeo said:

I don't think this is the case.

There will have been plenty of parents in that situation that would have taken the hospitals advice at face value and proceeded on that basis.

It's a difficult one. I would say the American doctor has a lot to answer for. If it was my wee man and I was told by the hospital he had no hope of survival I would believe them, however it would only take one person, the American doctor in this case, to change my mind if I thought there was even a small chance of curing the disease.

41 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Of course, the amount of seemingly immaculately staged pictures of the two of them that have adorned the news.

This was one of the points that annoyed me as well as soon as the tabloids had a sniff of it.  From the perfectly arranged selfies, to appearing at court with a cuddly toy monkey popping out the top of his jumper/ jacket pocket.  Such a cynical attempt to try and bring emotion or sentiment of the judge onto their side, it all seemed very stage managed to me.

It's a dreadful case which I, and clearly many others, feel has only been made worse by the media.  Unfortunately for the parents, having been taken along for the ride by public interest, they will have to deal with being dropped just as quickly as soon as their wee boy is dead.  It won't be long before someone shoots a gorilla in a zoo, or some other poor child with a terminal illness garners the sympathy of social media and the cycle will begin again.

a horrible situation that I hope I'd never have to face. unfortunately you have people getting involved to make political or religious points out of this.

there will be more and more cases like this as medical science gets better and better. children and adults who previously would've died will be kept alive. the problem comes when the religious nutters get involved, the sanctity of life is an excellent principle and may have worked a couple of thousand years ago but causes major problems when scientific advances can keep people alive while suffering or having no quality of life.

you would think an all powerful, all seeing, all knowing deity would've foreseen such problems coming before getting god's word published!! 

15 minutes ago, Nold said:

This was one of the points that annoyed me as well as soon as the tabloids had a sniff of it.  From the perfectly arranged selfies, to appearing at court with a cuddly toy monkey popping out the top of his jumper/ jacket pocket.  Such a cynical attempt to try and bring emotion or sentiment of the judge onto their side, it all seemed very stage managed to me.

It's a dreadful case which I, and clearly many others, feel has only been made worse by the media.  Unfortunately for the parents, having been taken along for the ride by public interest, they will have to deal with being dropped just as quickly as soon as their wee boy is dead.  It won't be long before someone shoots a gorilla in a zoo, or some other poor child with a terminal illness garners the sympathy of social media and the cycle will begin again.

The gorilla shooter will be more vilified than the medical folks...

32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Let me rephrase that by saying that the parents actions have been entirely understandable.

We would all do whatever we could to save a child but reality might dawn in us all at a different stage.

I have to wonder if Charlie's parents were influenced by this case which was well publicised at the time and was proof, if ever required that medical experts don't always get everything right.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ashya-king-is-cancer-free-9813409

As a non-parent, it comes across to me as parents so desperate to keep their baby alive despite all medical advice (except for one doctor speculating that his experimental treatment might help), that they are putting their interest above their child's. Even now that baby Charlie has been moved to a Hospice, his parents want to prolong his life to spend more time with him, again at odds with medical advice.

It is true that medical experts don't always get everything right, this has been such a high profile case however, and the hospital has supposedly taken advice from experts worldwide, and not just within their own hospital.

Sometimes the kindest thing to do is let them go.

Archived