Charlie Gard

Romeo

The hospice is the bit that I don't get. It's almost like the parents are looking for any win against the hospital. 

The boy has two homes. His parents house and the hospital. Moving him to a random hospice for no reason seems unnecessarily cruel.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always feel quite embarrassed for posters on forums when they refer to their wife/girlfriend as Mrs (username). I know Romeo is prone to this but I don't think I've ever seen it twice in a single post before. 

I find the whole thing rather sad. I understand the desire to do anything for your child and going to every length possible to save them. 

That said the hangers on and public social media campaign, being critical of Great Ormond Street, the neurological experts and medics smacks of the modern 'not trusting experts' syndrome and the worst of social media. 

7 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Always feel quite embarrassed for posters on forums when they refer to their wife/girlfriend as Mrs (username). I know Romeo is prone to this but I don't think I've ever seen it twice in a single post before. 

Mrs Romeo says shut the f**k up.

The parents are a disgrace. I have personal experience of this condition and it is heartbreaking watching a child suffer with NO hope of a cure, or any respite from strokes and heart attacks. The hospital position was the only correct line to take

37 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I have to wonder if Charlie's parents were influenced by this case which was well publicised at the time and was proof, if ever required that medical experts don't always get everything right.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ashya-king-is-cancer-free-9813409

That seems to me to be more of a data point in favour of the medical experts over the parents, looking only at the objective evidence.

It seems that the parents' unwillingness to follow the recommended advice represented a risk to the child, and that may yet have terrible consequences.

"Getting it right" can only mean "identifying the best option, based upon the evidence available at the time". For any individual, it's possible that the less good option might produce the better option; but that's the nature of probabilities.

36 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Could be worse, he could call her Juliet.

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

As a non-parent, it comes across to me as parents so desperate to keep their baby alive despite all medical advice (except for one doctor speculating that his experimental treatment might help), that they are putting their interest above their child's. Even now that baby Charlie has been moved to a Hospice, his parents want to prolong his life to spend more time with him, again at odds with medical advice.

It is true that medical experts don't always get everything right, this has been such a high profile case however, and the hospital has supposedly taken advice from experts worldwide, and not just within their own hospital.

Sometimes the kindest thing to do is let them go.

It's easier to do that when they have lived a life, though, not when they haven't even started.

At least Romeo has stuck to one name in his time on this forum you pedantic c**t.

1 hour ago, bob the tank said:

The parents are a disgrace. I have personal experience of this condition and it is heartbreaking watching a child suffer with NO hope of a cure, or any respite from strokes and heart attacks. The hospital position was the only correct line to take

Note to self: Don't go looking at bob the tank for any sympathy/empathy/compassion...

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Note to self: Don't go looking at bob the tank for any sympathy/empathy/compassion...

Note to self: Don't go looking at Jacksgranada for any sympathy/empathy/compassion...

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Note to self: Don't go looking at Jacksgranada for any sympathy/empathy/compassion...

I'll just blow exhaust fumes in your face.

Or should that be in the embarrassing habits/hobbies/fetishes thread?

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I have never been in the position those parents are and I would hope I never am. I've also never been in the position of having a family member or anyone I know be effectively braindead and kept alive by machines (as I understand the situation, though I'm sure I'm missing some details). For myself, I wouldn't want to be kept alive if I was in that sort of state and I wouldn't want someone I knew to be kept alive with very little chance of any meaningful recovery.

My somewhat superficial judgement of the parents and their, on the face of it, appalling treatment of the doctors and the hospital is that they feel powerless at having had a child and all the assorted hopes that go along with that only to see them unfulfillable through no fault of anyone. As a result they seem to have criticised anyone and everyone who's involved in the care of the baby and it's been a complete disaster. Because I've never been in their place I don't feel right judging them no matter how unedifying their criticism of everything from the biggest children's hospital in the country to the entire judicial system has been, but I don't think they've handled the situation well at all. The interruptions from the Pope and Donald fucking Trump a few weeks ago added a surreal tinge to the whole thing that it mercifully seems to have recovered from since, but it's still been horrible viewing.

Of course, the amount of seemingly immaculately staged pictures of the two of them that have adorned the news (and why is he always wearing a fucking England top?) make me somewhat cynical, but I can turn the telly off so it's not so bad.

Why the f**k do you care what he's wearing?

Archived