Inverness CT v Dundee United | 5/8/17

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't agree toshney did well. Got no help from Fraser but every time left one allowed a shot or cross in as he showed his man a channel and he took it. Absolutely never a full back. His starting position is somewhere between 6 yard box and penalty box and he can't get wide quick enough.

Fraser had one run where we shrugged off a shirt tug and ran through two ICT players so it's not like he can't.

Positives for me were Lewis - came for everything in air and his domination of the box means he doesn't have to make that any saves. Mcmullan continues to impress and Stanton will be very dangerous with options ahead of him.

1 hour ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

"...and Fraser was poor."

The fact he continues to get a game is really getting on my tits. I'm guessing (hoping) that he'll be benched when fyvie, MacDonald and keatings are up to speed.

I would like to think that McKinnon will begin to understand what the majority of the supporters already know about Fraser and think that with a fully fit squad he will not be a starter.

As an aside, there seems to be a conspicuous abscence of Funsters on the United threads since this afternoon.  Not quite sure the reason for this.  This isn't a complaint mind, merely an observation.  Given their usual infestation of our threads I find it a little odd.

I would like to think that McKinnon will begin to understand what the majority of the supporters already know about Fraser and think that with a fully fit squad he will not be a starter.
As an aside, there seems to be a conspicuous abscence of Funsters on the United threads since this afternoon.  Not quite sure the reason for this.  This isn't a complaint mind, merely an observation.  Given their usual infestation of our threads I find it a little odd.

What's odd about the funsters is that they get really pissed off when other fans post on their board - despite the fact they can't stay off these pages.

8 hours ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

What's odd about the funsters is that they get really pissed off when other fans post on their board - despite the fact they can't stay off these pages.

And know about our impending administration when they missed their own. Twice.

Disappointing result for us obviously. United didn't seem to threaten much unless it was on the back of an error by our defence, and there was a few of them, or a long ball over the top for McMullan to chase. He gave Elsdon a torrid time. We looked really shaky at the back throughout the game best exemplified by our poor defending for the United goal. Instead of booting the ball into touch Elsdon dallied on the touchline and McMullan nipped in and sprinted for goal. After a few ricochets in the box McMullan seized on the loose ball and a lunging Mckay challenge brought him down after he had dinked the ball over the ICT defender. A clear penalty and a stupid challenge to make. Easily converted by the United player.

After that United sat in for long periods challenging us to break them down whilst looking to hit on the break. Their best chance to grab a second game when another mix up in the ICT defence let in Stanton (I think) but with Ridgers sprawled on the ground and an open goal to aim for he lifted a shot over the bar.

Before and after this ICT dominated without ever really making Lewis work hard. We had plenty of "half chances" but our final ball or shot was lacking in any real quality. Whislt it was good to see us match United for long spells it was disappointing to see how little we created. As others have noted it's a similar story to the League Cup games we have witnessed so far.

Interesting to see Robbo abandon the 4-4-2 he had used for the League Cup games and go with a 4-1-4-1, Vigurs playing in front of the defence and Baird on the right. Some folk seem to be saying Polworth was playing on the wing. Didn't seem that way to me. Worth persevering for another game or two perhaps but maybe not with Baird in that slightly withdrawn role on the right side. Vigurs and Calder were our best players until the latter was wiped out by Toshney in the second half.

The formation in the first half looked to me like a 4-4-1-1/4-4-2, with Polworth wide right, Oakley up-front and Baird slightly behind and further to the right.  Second half I interpreted it to be more of a 4-1-4-1, just with Baird as almost a right-wing forward and Polworth as a right sided central midfielder.

Couldn't make the game but from the highlights Scobbie was very lucky not to get a second booking (Raven booked for a similar foul 1 minute later) and that was some miss from Stanton at the end. Great result which we hopefully build on with 2 home games coming up. 

10 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Couldn't make the game but from the highlights Scobbie was very lucky not to get a second booking (Raven booked for a similar foul 1 minute later) and that was some miss from Stanton at the end. Great result which we hopefully build on with 2 home games coming up. 

Are the DU highlights free or do you need to sign up to Arab TV or something like that?

9 minutes ago, RiG said:

Are the DU highlights free or do you need to sign up to Arab TV or something like that?

You need to subscribe to arabzone. Is there not a spfl youtube channel that shows highlights? Sure I've seen that somewhere before.

Archived