Inverness CT v Dundee United | 5/8/17

We have won this godforsaken league in the last two seasons which we have graced it with our presence and I have no doubt that we will do so again. What better way to begin than a match between the two biggest clubs in the league (measured by recent successes)?

ICT 3-0 Dundee United - Connor Bell x2, Collin Seedorf x1.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ICT 5 Scumdee Spew-shited 0

Vigurs hat-trick.  Zshcusschenesscheneneschen with a double.

Sadly outside banter world we'll almost certainly lose this game.  We aren't good enough.

I think Caley will struggle to be in the Play-offs this season - looking like a very bare squad with a relatively poor manager. I will reserve my prediction for this game until after the derby.

Fully expect Dundee United to f**k us like that lad was fucking the bird in that smutty wee video our Twitter account liked last night. 3 - 1 to the jute factory workers.

Guest Back Post Misses

I would expect a comfortable home win after Dundee Utd take a toweling at Dens this weekend.

I suppose there's still 8 days or so til the start of the season and there's nothing stopping Caley getting a couple of decent players in and losing Tremarco and Fon Williams, however it does seem very unikely.

Suppose the same could be said for us with Coll Donaldson.

19 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

I suppose there's still 8 days or so til the start of the season and there's nothing stopping Caley getting a couple of decent players in and losing Tremarco and Fon Williams, however it does seem very unikely.

Suppose the same could be said for us with Coll Donaldson.

Tremarco is out injured for several months.  Fon Williams has been made available for transfer, presumably to a team looking for a keeper who is better at watercolours than goalkeeping.

2 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Aren't there some players in the HL who are basically full-time?

Some of the better funded teams in the Highland League have very good sides, like Brora, Buckie, Cove etc.  I'm not sure they are full time, although some of the Brora players have jobs in the company of the owner.  There are some excellent players in the Highland League but the standard varies big time - my mate played for Fort William and said that it was almost impossible playing Brora the year they first won the league (that season Brora won 31 of 34 games and secured the title by 20 points).  Having said that, a Fort player (Scott Davidson) was on trial for us earlier this summer until he suffered an injury, and Buckie's John MacLeod started his HL career at Fort before being bought by Brora then Buckie.

Well after a pretty positive pre-season most of our fans will be optimistic about the game next week. I'm making the trip up to Inverness along with my dad and uncle who lives in California but who, along with my dad, grew up in the Black Isle and hasn't been back for nearly 50 years. With that completely meaningless fact out of the way I hope it will be a great day out and a good start to the season for us. Would expect pretty much the same team that started today minus maybe Fraser out and a striker of some kind in (Smith probably, McDonald possibly).

Edit - I think Durnan is suspended for this so probably Scobbie in the middle and Robson at left back.

Reckon we will line up as follows:

Ridgers

Seedorf---Warren---McKay---Calder

Polworth---Draper---Vigurs---Mulraney

Oakley---Baird

One of the most concerning things about our pre-season has been the injuries to Warren and now Seedorf which must have hindered the formation of solid defensive partnerships. We are not going to be a free-scoring side this season (unless it all comes together for the fullbacks and Mulraney), so we need to be solid at the back. Ridgers has also chucked in two goals in the only two games in which he has been tested so that does not bode well either.

Apparently Vigurs played well yesterday but he is always going to look good spraying the ball around the park against diddy teams. The assists he provides are offset by the goals we concede against stronger sides who break quickly while he ambles around. This will cost us a number of goals this season, as it already has against Falkirk last week. Although I see the logic in playing Polworth out wide to strengthen the right flank defensively, I think that using this logic he would be better deployed in Vigurs' place in midfield. The flanks are likely going to be weak anyway with the fullbacks bombing forward so I would rather we focused on strenthening the middle of the park to stop teams playing through us.

I'm also interested to see how the pecking order amongst the strikers develops over the course of the season. We will start with Baird and Oakley up top and I can see Bell replacing Baird at around the 60-70 minute mark in most games. I reckon Susan will only be used if we are desperate - i.e. it will be like when Butcher used to stick Tokely up front with five minutes to go for us to lump balls up to him (which unsurprisingly never worked because that is complete caveman tactics). Hopefully Bell scores a few from the bench and can dislodge Baird who is not a 20 goals a season striker.

As for this game, I can see us sitting in and keeping it tight. Reckon it will be closer than some in the thread have predicted - however, if we win, it won't be by more than a goal.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Well after a pretty positive pre-season most of our fans will be optimistic about the game next week. I'm making the trip up to Inverness along with my dad and uncle who lives in California but who, along with my dad, grew up in the Black Isle and hasn't been back for nearly 50 years. 

Tell them not to worry it hasn't changed............ At all!!!!

And the gene pool hasn't increased much either.

44 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Reckon we will line up as follows:

Ridgers

Seedorf---Warren---McKay---Calder

Polworth---Draper---Vigurs---Mulraney

Oakley---Baird

That is what I would go with. Concern at Forfar is the lack of pace at the back. We really miss the like of Meekings but cover from Calder and Seedorf would make up for that. Vigurs and Draper linked well yesterday. Vigurs is a luxury but that may be a bonus in the Championship. Where to play Polworth is the "problem". He looked good in a more roving role in the 2nd half at Forfar but to me it is either him or Vigurs. Oakley and Baird may yet be our saviours.

Archived