Anas Sarwar

DeeTillEhDeh

3 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think Labour needs any consensus on the matter since no clear cut stance on the matter and a social democratic manifesto allows them to pick up the large amount of Brexit voters pissed off at austerity economics while retaining Remainers who will vote for a party that has clearly identifiable commitments beyond just staying in the EU (the Lib Dems).

Most Brexit voters are too thick to see that Corbyn is far more anti Europe than May. I doubt Labour picked up many UKIP votes the last time around.

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think Labour needs any consensus on the matter since no clear cut stance on the matter and a social democratic manifesto allows them to pick up the large amount of Brexit voters pissed off at austerity economics while retaining Remainers who will vote for a party that has clearly identifiable commitments beyond just staying in the EU (the Lib Dems).

I would tend to disagree on their position. I think for them to be a credible opposition or even scrutineer of the Brexit process, they need to be able to articulate the options they would consider if they were at the table. I'm not sure they can do that because they're all over the place. The fact that they've shut down - as far as possible - the extent of the debate at their conference is a sign of how unprepared they are. This all belongs in the Brexit thread though.

Sarwar - good choice if you ask me! 

They've promised to buy out ALL the PFI contracts, deliver a deal outside the EU with magical access to the SM which is better (wtf?) than what we have now and spend the same in the north as they do in the south on infrastructure.

I'm no fan of ideological austerity but, just promising us a gold plated unicorn each is pretty cynical and will hopefully lead to some rioting and the odd lynching if/when they come to power and they cannot deliver.

They've got loads of these.

a206e1304fe050760130f2eb752d174d.jpg

It's all just conjecture at this point but it seems to be working atm for Labour just to throw out random positions on Brexit for May to adopt days later. The Tories are destroying themselves over this, there's little need for Labour to do the same but if there's one thing the centrist wing love to do its shooting Labour in the foot.

11 hours ago, NotThePars said:

It's all just conjecture at this point but it seems to be working atm for Labour just to throw out random positions on Brexit for May to adopt days later. The Tories are destroying themselves over this, there's little need for Labour to do the same but if there's one thing the centrist wing love to do its shooting Labour in the foot.

I don't get this Tories nicking Labour's ideas on Brexit spiel. They've gone along with the Tories and backed them on every vote. All you hear is Brexit means Brexit.

I don't get this Tories nicking Labour's ideas on Brexit spiel. They've gone along with the Tories and backed them on every vote. All you hear is Brexit means Brexit.

Jeremy Corbyn is the Prime Minister mate just accept it. Twitter search "acid Corbynism" if you want to see what you're missing.

12 hours ago, HTG said:

I would tend to disagree on their position. I think for them to be a credible opposition or even scrutineer of the Brexit process, they need to be able to articulate the options they would consider if they were at the table. I'm not sure they can do that because they're all over the place. The fact that they've shut down - as far as possible - the extent of the debate at their conference is a sign of how unprepared they are. This all belongs in the Brexit thread though.

Sarwar - good choice if you ask me! 

The Labour Party's decision on how they will handle Brexit at party conference is an affront to democracy.  It's the sort of stage management and manipulation that the left within the party would have condemned in the past.

Ive been broadly supportive of Corbyn and his supporters but would not be after this.  Meet the new boss...

• 4 weeks later...
Did Sarwar really say he never campaigned with the tories in Better together??

Said a lot of broadly untrue shit. I would like to think he's got no chance, and the CLP endorsements are encouraging, but anything can happen in Slab.

Fair enough. 7000 words will do, no rush. 

What I will say is when the CLP nominations were being done Leonard's supporters were putting forward an ideology and clear ideas about going forward whereas Sarwar's supporters essentially boiled down the reasons for nominating him to "he's done his time" and "he's a very approachable guy" and just general entitlement you come to expect from Scottish Labour. It might be a false dawn but there's an, imo, real opportunity to generate some change akin to down south if Leonard, CFS and the trade unions take power over Sarwar and the people that rightly consigned Slab to electoral oblivion the past decade. It's been glorious to see roasters like Ian Murray losing the heid over being increasingly sidelined.