Battery Drain

It's achieved sentience and is accessing hot robot n00dz while you're asleep. Destroy it now before it's too late.

(no, I have nothing useful to add)

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2017 at 12:04, salmonbuddie said:

Went to bed last night with around 25% charge remaining in my UMI Super and was late for work because this happened and the alarm didn't go off:

Screenshot 2017 07 25.png

Wi-Fi seems to be doing something, anyone know what's happening? 

This exact same issue was happening with me on my Nexus 5X a few months. Even with about 80% charge my battery would sometimes completely empty and the phone wouldn't go back on unless it was stuck on charge at which point it would magically have around the same charge level as before.

Basically, your battery is fucked and you need a new one, hopefully you can get it replaced under warranty. From what I've read about the problem it seems to be to do with dendrites (thin whisker of lithium growing inside the phone battery). This affects the battery causing it to "short circuit" and lose all its charge. Worst case scenario is that the phone can catch fire. Disclaimer: I'm not a physicist so I might have picked things up wrong when I've been reading about the problems with batteries, electrons etc. but that charge graph looks eerily familiar to what I had.

This exact same issue was happening with me on my Nexus 5X a few months. Even with about 80% charge my battery would sometimes completely empty and the phone wouldn't go back on unless it was stuck on charge at which point it would magically have around the same charge level as before.

Basically, your battery is fucked and you need a new one, hopefully you can get it replaced under warranty. From what I've read about the problem it seems to be to do with dendrites (thin whisker of lithium growing inside the phone battery). This affects the battery causing it to "short circuit" and lose all its charge. Worst case scenario is that the phone can catch fire. Disclaimer: I'm not a physicist so I might have picked things up wrong when I've been reading about the problems with batteries, electrons etc. but that charge graph looks eerily familiar to what I had.

I'd hope not, the phone's only a couple of months old!

Hasn't happened again, and it was completely and properly drained so needed a full charge from zero.

Just now, salmonbuddie said:

I'd hope not, the phone's only a couple of months old!

Hasn't happened again, and it was completely and properly drained so needed a full charge from zero.

If it's only a couple of months old it might just be a one off then. I have an old Samsung tablet that occasionally completely discharges for seemingly no reason and then it's fine again so hopefully it's something along those lines - a random occurrence. 

Certainly with my Nexus 5X it was happening several times a day. Worth keeping an eye on and if the issue persists and / or becomes more frequent then definitely get it sent off for repair.

Archived