Cumbernauld Colts 2017/2018

foreverarover

It's an intriguing tie insofar as Cumbernauld are a solid LL club, Colville are amateurs but with an XI of quality experienced senior and junior players, and it's being played at the fairly cramped Benburb Juniors ground with its plastic pitch. Colville struggled last season - needed a replay to beat Edusport then lost 1-0 v Girvan - but look a much improved outfit this time around, obliterating Burntisland 7-0 away then Preston 5-0. They'll be fairly used to Benburb having already played 3 Scottish Cup ties there over the last year.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, drs said:

....which is astro.

I actually interpreted the original post to be them playing on one of the outside pitches, such as found at Forthbank and McDiarmid etc.. the one that the local amateur sides use.

That said, I had forgotten that the main pitch was now artificial.

Disappointing performance from the Colts and think lack of experience throughout the squad is apparent...injuries aside,there are certain positions where better quality is needed at this level and the top teams always seem to have multiple striking options.IMO Colts need to address these issues if they want to improve on the early promise shown since joining the league.

I actually interpreted the original post to be them playing on one of the outside pitches, such as found at Forthbank and McDiarmid etc.. the one that the local amateur sides use.
That said, I had forgotten that the main pitch was now artificial.

Point was that people were saying colvillie were favourites as they played on astro(im sure someone said that)

Jinky, I remain interested in what you would deem experience in football terms. Having followed this thread you have passed comment on the colts lack of experience for this level, at least a couple of times now, I am unsure as to the benefit of continuous comments regarding experience? 

From what I gather you are referring to age, assuming that your previous posts about the age of colts squad,  are linked with what you would deem experience or inexperience. 

Now in my view, having played at every level of the adult game, some of the worst players I have played with have been older and some of the youngest have shown an understanding of the game that is far better than their older team mates. I simply cannot understand why a person's age would ever be deemed to guarantee a level of experience........... 

Jinky, I remain interested in what you would deem experience in football terms. Having followed this thread you have passed comment on the colts lack of experience for this level, at least a couple of times now, I am unsure as to the benefit of continuous comments regarding experience? 
From what I gather you are referring to age, assuming that your previous posts about the age of colts squad,  are linked with what you would deem experience or inexperience. 
Now in my view, having played at every level of the adult game, some of the worst players I have played with have been older and some of the youngest have shown an understanding of the game that is far better than their older team mates. I simply cannot understand why a person's age would ever be deemed to guarantee a level of experience........... 

This a wind up?

This a wind up?

I kinda get what they are trying to say, after reading it through a few times.

I think the point is:

Lots of people in football conflate age with experience without looking at the bigger picture. While in many cases, where you are comparing apples with apples, that's a fair "general rule", if you dig deeper in the Colts team though you find, for example:

- Someone with near 50 games for Montrose in the league above

- Someone who played nearly 30 games in the East Fife league winning team from the league above (having gone there full time from Aberdeen via loans to a couple of other L2 teams) and with a year in LL

- Someone who played with Peterhead, East Fife and Montrose (via full time at Aberdeen) in the league above prior to joining Colts with 2 seasons in the LL now as well.

- Someone who played in the league above for Queens Park then had a full two seasons in the LL with EK before joining Colts.

- Someone with approaching 200 games in the juniors having played senior before and now in his third season in LL

- Someone tome served in the juniors who has represented Scotland (in tournaments abroad) in another discipline of the sport

- Someone who played a few seasons with Albion Rovers before spending nearly a decade in the Juniors

Of those 7 examples they are 21, 23, 23, 25, 22 & 30. Only one really that fits into the age bracket most deem "experienced" when looking at age in isolation, but you'd be hard pressed not to agree certainly ain't inexperienced lads.

I think the question being posed is: Would a different 30 year old with no experience in leagues above, or at LL level, or who wasn't a regular anywhere he'd played in Ams/Juniors (as an example) be more experienced than these guys? And more importantly would they be be a better player in terms of quality?

That's a debate I guess, but I think that's the point the poster was trying to make and to be honest I think there's certainly merit in that argument.

And let's be honest, if what the OP is actually suggesting (as the age of the squad has been mentioned a few times) is bringing in a number of older/more experienced (however you define experience) but also better footballers, I suspect they may be hugely overestimating the resources available to teams like Colts (and others in LL) in order to do that.

As an aside, what is hard to legislate for I guess is so many of those guys from a single squad being out injured/unavailable at the same time. But any team would miss these sorts of players, not just Colts.

Exactly the point I was not articulating well in my earlier post, I feel alot of people mistake age for being more experienced, particularly when speaking about a teams weaknesses. 

From what I understand, Cumbernaulds budget is nowhere near the same level of others in either the lowland league or the junior game. 

To suggest that every defeat or poor performance comes down to a lack of experience (based on a person's age and not their ability) is simply misinformed. 

Could Cumbernauld be doing with better players year on year, absolutely, but so could every other team at every other level of the game. This sometimes isn't possible.

But to be clear - what I was meaning (maybe not clearly) was that it is far too simple an argument to suggest that having an older team will bring more success to a team.

Disappointing performance from the Colts and think lack of experience throughout the squad is apparent...injuries aside,there are certain positions where better quality is needed at this level and the top teams always seem to have multiple striking options.IMO Colts need to address these issues if they want to improve on the early promise shown since joining the league.

Accurate assessment Jinky. Unfortunately, Cumbernauld Colts I would suggest are unable to attract players which would enhance their squad due to their financial restrictions.
Indeed, why would a player playing in the top tier of Junior football even consider taking such a drop in their disposable income!

Ah,nice to see I have generated some healthy footy debate-:)

Opinions will always differ when talking football and I do appreciate how difficult a task it must be to run a successful football club....not for the faint hearted,I am sure.

As far as my earlier posts about "lack of experience "are concerned,I do see a predominantly youthful team,albeit,I do hear what's being said about some of the players and their careers prior to joining CCs.I should say,I am definitely not against youth,however,even the experienced players you highlight were very young when they had a taste of senior football and I am sure that most of the teams they played with would have had some senior/mature players to help with their development.I am not advocating old is better than young but simply offering my opinion that a few seasoned older quality players would enhance the team.

How realistic and achievable to add this type of player is debatable,as by the sounds of it ,the team budget may be very limited.

Appreciate the opinions and hope this helps to clarify mine.

Disappointing result for Colts today-very impressive for first 35mins and Shire couldnt cope with Colts movement and possession-should have been further in front and lost a goal right on 45mins.

Second half was a different story and Shire were gifted two goals from indvidual mistakes(again)...overall Shire were poor but still walked away with 3 points.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived