Quiz show auditions

Last time this came up, it was amazing how many P&Bers had been on quiz shows.

Who made an arse of themselves on Fifteen to One and was brutally put down by Sandi Toksvig?

I did an audition for Pointless with my mate. You basically audition with about 5 other couples by playing a few games of Pointless (without the electronic board obv).

Then you all leave the room and they call you back if they want to see you again - which pretty much means you have made the cut. Everyone else goes home.

We went home despite winning the games we played. Cracked too many shite jokes we decided.

1 hour ago, Tynieness said:

You might want to ask @Frankie S and @Audaces Fortuna Juvat they have been on a few I believe.

Only quiz show I've been on is Eggheads, though I was scheduled to take part in Pressure Pad, but had to cancel at the last minute as one of our team couldn't get time off work. The Eggheads audition mainly took the form of a straight head to head match against another auditioning team, which we won. There was also a short paper of individual questions that we had to complete. It was quite straightforward. The Pressure Pad audition was a lot more involved - an individual quiz paper followed by loads of banal chat to camera about the respective strengths and weaknesses of our team, and personality traits of the individuals in our lineup (which team mate was 'most likely to keep a cool head under pressure' etc). To be honest, I found the whole process, which was conducted by a bunch of kids barely out of college, extremely tedious. Possibly explains why I've yet to audtion for anything else, several years down the line after Eggheads.

Anyone looking to earn a bit of quick cash surely has to just get themselves on Tipping Point - the questions are of Primary School standard and have the contestants scratching their heads in bemusement, it's basic as f'ck stuff.

Would give the Catchphrase lot a run for their money.

50 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Anyone looking to earn a bit of quick cash surely has to just get themselves on Tipping Point - the questions are of Primary School standard and have the contestants scratching their heads in bemusement, it's basic as f'ck stuff.

Would give the Catchphrase lot a run for their money.

But then you'd have to hang yourself because people have seen you on fucking Tipping Point. Maybe that's how they got the name.

9 hours ago, wellinwigan said:

Just been invited on one.Anyone ever done one before.What does it involve?

I've been on 4 quiz shows now (and had 4 auditions so I must have been doing something right). As they said in the most recent audition, you could get all the questions right and not get on, or get all the questions right and still get on. Generally, it'll be a mix of quiz questions and talking about yourself. 

Obviously they're looking for someone with a bit of personality so have a few light-hearted comments / stories ready when they ask you to tell them a bit about yourself. 

They'll also stick a TV camera in your face to make sure you don't freeze up when you're in front of one. 

That's about it really! I'm cringing as I type this, but the best advice would be to "be yourself"... i.e. don't try and act like someone you're not cos they'll see through it. 

Last time this came up, it was amazing how many P&Bers had been on quiz shows.
Who made an arse of themselves on Fifteen to One and was brutally put down by Sandi Toksvig?

I just keep telling myself years on that absolutely no one watches C4 at 3pm on a weekday.

From what I remember of my audition, I got a telephone call after I submitted my application and they asked me 20 or so general knowledge questions. I must have done alright because they then asked me to a hotel in Glasgow for the next stage. Basically it involved a group of us playing a mini version of the game, then we individually went to see the producers whilst they asked us questions about ourselves but with a camera in our face, to see how we'd cope.

I'd quite like to do Pointless, but I'm working on the whole getting a friend thing first.

Archived