Ayr Rugby Club

Cancellara

Are Whitletts Vics not moving to a brand new Astro pitch over in the Whitletts area where the concrete 1g astro is at present ?

Brand new facility , turnstiles , stand area etc

That's always been the plan, but as far as i know, you can't apply for grants etc, as its still council owned, so until ownership is granted then nothing will happen down there

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What should we be giving you exactly?

My interpretation is that TT didn't say you should be giving anything, rather he was pointing out to a previous poster that the club's have no links.

On the ground issue, surely AWV have a leasing agreement in place and couldn't be force to share until its up for renewal?

7 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Yes rugby does appear to have some bizarre rituals which is more than due critism. However, as a sport it can hold its own and in some cases surpass. The athleticism, power and strength required not to mention skill is undeniable. Also, as Lokloyal alluded, rugby is very inclusive, although I don't agree his point about "any football club". The fact that it appears a mainly middle class fraternity I think has as much to do with dismissive attitudes of working class, all to clearly illustrated in this thread, as it has to Rugby culture. After all It isn't historically a middle class institution in the Borders, in Ireland or the Southern Hemisphere. 

As for Ayr Rugby Club selling their ground and the proposed move, no doubt will affect Whitlettes adversely.  

to paraphrase a famous saying:

"Football is a game for gentleman played by hooligans, Rugby is a game for hooligans played and supported by utter gimps". 

3 hours ago, Terry Tibbs said:

Exactly, Ayr have gave Whitletts f**k all over the years.

A couple of youngsters were on loan 3 or 4 years ago. I believe Whitletts could also have had a number of Academy players on loan last season but turned the opportunity down. And Ayr sent a team to play in a testimonial not so long ago.

So it's hardly f all, is it?

2 hours ago, lang said:

Why would they want academy players when they have their own under 21's? You sent a team for a testimonial, who are you Barcalonaemoji28.png

Merely pointing out facts. And with all due respect, pro youth players tend to be better than boys coming through the boys club system but of course they should provide their own lads an opportunity. The decision was entirely Vics' to make, but to claim Ayr United gave  Whitletts no support over the years is not true.

And for what it's worth, I watch Whitletts as often as I can.

3 hours ago, lang said:

Why would they want academy players when they have their own under 21's? You sent a team for a testimonial, who are you Barcalonaemoji28.png

Yes, we use the a instead of the e to represent that we are from Ayr. 

Rugby is played on 3G surfaces, there's a couple of English pro rugby league teams got 3G pitches now.
How that could work sharing with football I'm not sure though.
Why would Ayr egg chasers sell their ground without having a firm alternative already in place and agreed?

Do Cumnock not share their pitch with the rugby club?

Sure that was mentioned at the time it was redeveloped.

8 hours ago, Troon Portland said:

Do Cumnock not share their pitch with the rugby club?

Sure that was mentioned at the time it was redeveloped.

They might train on it, but they don't play on it. I'm not sure whether Cumnock Rugby Club's ground will be affected by the new school build.

Nobody mentioned :Ayr Utd: it's south Ayrshire council I'm sure TT was meaning..whitletts did turn down the ~annbank&lugar-proposal as we wanted to keep our own identity as a club..I've not known any approach to whitletts for any Ayr youth academy players in the last 2-3 yrs because we would have taken them with open arms .that I can assure you.

46 minutes ago, monthevics44 said:

Nobody mentioned :Ayr Utd: it's south Ayrshire council I'm sure TT was meaning..whitletts did turn down the ~annbank&lugar-proposal as we wanted to keep our own identity as a club..I've not known any approach to whitletts for any Ayr youth academy players in the last 2-3 yrs because we would have taken them with open arms .that I can assure you.

If TT meant SAC then why would he say Ayr? And SAC has provided some support to Vics.

What you said doesn't make sense. Vics turned down the proposal which Lugar then Annbank agreed to, but they weren't offered any Academy players. Which is exactly what was on offer.

21 hours ago, Terry Tibbs said:

Exactly, Ayr have gave Whitletts f**k all over the years.

As it should be, I'm an Ayr fan not a Whitletts fan.

With the lack of good facilities in Scotland it's surprising more clubs don't share facilities. Take Somerset Park for example. It lies empty most days only getting used maybe 30 days a year if you are lucky. Put down a decent 4g pitch and it could be used every day.

Good facilities and Somerset park don't go in the same sentence.

That is my whole point. If clubs shared resources they would maybe have better facilities.

Aye that makes sense.[emoji106]

Common sense doesn't seem to go hand in hand with Scottish Sport. Then people wonder why we are behind other countries.

If you look at google maps the rugby club is on a very small site with no room for expansion. Dam park and its surroundings offer a lot more potential bearing in mind ayr rugby are one of the bigger clubs. It all rests with the council, he who pays the piper gets to call the tune. I hope the vics can stay at dam park as it is a good ground in a good location. Another variable could be calvin ayre having his assets unfrozen, he might put money into ayr utd. Who knows the 4 organisations might end up working together

1 hour ago, wintonfan said:

If you look at google maps the rugby club is on a very small site with no room for expansion. Dam park and its surroundings offer a lot more potential bearing in mind ayr rugby are one of the bigger clubs. It all rests with the council, he who pays the piper gets to call the tune. I hope the vics can stay at dam park as it is a good ground in a good location. Another variable could be calvin ayre having his assets unfrozen, he might put money into ayr utd. Who knows the 4 organisations might end up working together

There's more ground at the rugby club than dam park. There's 3 rugby pitches down there plus extra ground. The amount of money they could make by selling that land down there would be crazy....they could by dam park and still leave then very, very wealthy for the club to really kick on to the next level.

2 hours ago, wintonfan said:

If you look at google maps the rugby club is on a very small site with no room for expansion. Dam park and its surroundings offer a lot more potential bearing in mind ayr rugby are one of the bigger clubs. 

Dam Park is hemmed in by the river and Ayrshire College, as well as a burn and land belonging to UWS. It's also in the wrong part of town for a lot of Rugby Club members, a lot of whom are social members. The question of what would happen to the athletics track would have to be answered  very quickly as well.

Archived