Wummin's Fitba'

29 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Just a matter of time before the girlies demand equal payment with the chaps.

They were on some kind of strike before the tournament - refusing to do media stuff and attend meetings - over financial, treatment and equality issues. After quite a prolonged stand-off a settlement was reached which clearly fell short of their initial demands (naturally) but details weren't released. Mind you the mens team aren't paid much but big bonus if qualify?

With the rights being bundled-up by UEFA there's no prospect of the BBC being able to afford live qualifiers. ITV has broken the bank for England rights (and it's the only football they now show except the finals tournaments) and Sky has hoovered-up the rest. Across the game in general the only stuff the BBC has got now are the respective FA cups and the finals tournaments which of course have to be shown on free TV... Sky and BT have taken-up the League cups and European football... Alba have then got lower-league and womens stuff.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

So nobody in Scotland watches Match of the Day?

We don't watch £20m's worth when you look at what other countries pay the BBC for their whole package.

I've watched bits and pieces of the Euro's. Some decent passing play and a few players who look good technically but the drop in pace and power compared to the mens game makes it much slower and far less interesting. The defending, and particularly the goalkeeping is of a very poor standard. Entertaining enough for what it is though.

16 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They were on some kind of strike before the tournament - refusing to do media stuff and attend meetings - over financial, treatment and equality issues. After quite a prolonged stand-off a settlement was reached which clearly fell short of their initial demands (naturally) but details weren't released. Mind you the mens team aren't paid much but big bonus if qualify?

With the rights being bundled-up by UEFA there's no prospect of the BBC being able to afford live qualifiers. ITV has broken the bank for England rights (and it's the only football they now show except the finals tournaments?) and Sky has hovered-up the rest. Across the game in general the only stuff the BBC has got now are the respective FA cups and the finals tournaments which of course have to be shown on free TV... Sky and BT have taken-up the League cups and European football... Alba have then got lower-league and womens stuff.

I imagine the SFA duffers in full patronize mode, patting the womens' arms understandingly as they offered them a block of steak knives and a new Hoover as part payment...

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

So nobody in Scotland watches Match of the Day?

Fair point, but in bidding 800M or whatever for the right to show highlights on MOTD for the next 3 years, the BBC admitted that they had bid on commercial, rather than 'community' or whatever, grounds. And you could argue that us watching MOTD is a result of market forces. But it means they're no longer pretending to serve all of us equally IMO.

ETA - a few years back the BBC was ordered to increase its Scottish-sourced programmes from 3% to 9%. That would explain the bizarre moving of the soap Waterloo Road to Greenock or wherever. Recently they had reached 6% but I can't comment further than that.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I've watched bits and pieces of the Euro's. Some decent passing play and a few players who look good technically but the drop in pace and power compared to the mens game makes it much slower and far less interesting. The defending, and particularly the goalkeeping is of a very poor standard. Entertaining enough for what it is though.

I was at the 3 Scotland games and I saw England-France on TV. Not seen anything of the top teams like Germany and USA, but it struck me in the two England games that they are a very physical team and maybe that's the way the game will develop. They'll get success by being like the men.

1 minute ago, The Mantis said:

I was at the 3 Scotland games and I saw England-France on TV. Not seen anything of the top teams like Germany and USA, but it struck me in the two England games that they are a very physical team and maybe that's the way the game will develop. They'll get success by being like the men.

Interesting you point that out, as I read this article on the BBC website a couple of weeks back and that pretty much sums up what I took from it.

19 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Interesting you point that out, as I read this article on the BBC website a couple of weeks back and that pretty much sums up what I took from it.

Aye it seems an obvious quick fix to get ahead. As I said, I've never seen the top teams in the world so I don't know how they play, but against us, England obviously had more class but they didn't half rack up the fouls. A few cynical ones in amongst them.

5 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

England women getting beat 1-0. Hope they get fucking pumped and that arsehole Sampson ends up miserable throughout the rest of life.

You just know they'll spin it as being down to home advantage or some shit if England do end up pipped out by our national team.

Meanwhile, we'd be stuck with the media milking the tournament for a while longer....

Archived