Big Sam for Scotland

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be interesting to know how our players are viewed in other European countries. Even if we're totally ignorant of the quality of players in countries like (for example) Slovenia or Georgia, there's usually a player or two we're aware of...would that be the case for us? I guess Oliver Burke will probably be a familiar name in central Europe at this point, but I'd be surprised if players like Craig Gordon or Steven Fletcher have a lot of name recognition.

I think we'd probably all be surprised.

3 hours ago, Wee Jockie said:

Sadly the manager is irrelevant and has been for some time. We havent had the players for several generations

Of course we don't produce lots of top players anymore and obviously there are complex reasons for this.

However, we've consistently done less well than the sum of our parts.   

If sam is ever appointed Scotland manages we would be stepping back into the dark ages that people on here seem to accuse older Scottish managers of doing( English jimmy Calder wood) . It would not be a step forward at all

Yeah cos we are playing a lovely brand of football right now......the dinosaurs in charge of every age grade side rely on utter hoof ball tactics. The u20 side in toulon was a prime example of that until the England u18s scudded them. Allardyce would be no worse than we currently have but it would at least be well organised something which we lack in every single side from age grade to seniors and even the women's team. He at least was able to see that having a mobile forward was preferable to a static lump like fletcher. Doesn't really matter anyway because we would never spend the money Allardyce would demand. The sfa will most likely 'promote' mckay.

4 hours ago, Wee Jockie said:

Sadly the manager is irrelevant and has been for some time. We havent had the players for several generations

The current squad is probably the best we've has since 1999 and has potential to qualify for tournaments.   

The manager's job is to select a balanced team from the group of players at his disposal.   This should include pace, height, and technical ability and Strachan deserved credit for the way he set up the team for a while.   There was no doubt, Fletcher, Anya, Maloney gave us a nice balance.   A front three of Ritchie, Snodgrass and Fletcher in Slovakia was absolute madness.   It was little wonder we looked cumbersome.  

Strachan got the team wrong in Malta.  wrong at home to Lithuania, and wrong away to Slovakia.   Team selections from Wembley onwards have been more balanced and naturally, we've looked a better team.  

Lithuania away will be a huge test on the astroturf, and it's a must win.    Strachan's future will be decided afterwards.   

Surely if we needed a new manager McInnes would be pretty high on the list at this stage?

Theres no chance he'd take the job

Can't imagine McInnes accepting it either, unless it was a part-time thing he could fit in around his club job.

What happened to part-time international management anyway? I remember there was a lot of talk about that about fifteen or so years ago, but it doesn't look like much came of it. WGS always seems like he has lots of time for press work on the side...

Of course, but the absolute nature of it and the "och well it can't get any worse" attitude some seem to have, when it is plainly obvious that it can get worse annoys me.  it's the kind of attitude the SFA seem to have, when rather than making sure they get the correct manager in, they just employ a similarly beige option from their similarly beige shortlist.  

In this specific case, it could go either way for me.  International Management often needs a different skill set, and I'm not sure him picking one squad (from a very talented pool) and scraping a victory really gives him a pass on that.  He could come in and take to it like a duck to water and take us to a tournament, or he could just as easily realise that our pool is pretty limited and that he can't work his magic with them.  But base point, an absolute "it can't get any worse" is a shite opinion to have outside of hindsight.

On 21/07/2017 at 22:09, Monkey Tennis said:

I was doing so to counter some twit offering only the best, devoid of context.

I was offering both their best, to be fair. Allardyce achieved some success with Bolton for a couple of seasons. That's all. We can very well hypothesise that Sam could have done better than Strachan had he been manager of Celtic, or Rangers for that matter, but he hasn't. He's only ever managed in the bottom few of English football.

Every manager has had periods of mediocrity and failure. We could put Strachan's failures in their proper contexts, really getting into detail about why he failed at Coventry and Middlesborough, but it wouldn't move the debate forward. The fact is that Allardyce hasn't done anything to suggest that he would be anything other than a self-publicising hoofball merchant. I haven't heard any evidence to support his claim on these pages either. Responses to his complete lack of tactical imagination are met with "but you wouldn't complain if we were winning" which again ignores another key plank of Allardyce's m.o.; he buys players. Loads of them. He doesn't bring them through and he has taken no job where he'll have a reduced budget or reduced group of players. We simply don't have the big strong players Allardyce would need to turn Scotland into Bolton Mk2.

That was always why I found it weird that there was so much support for Harry Redknapp to become manager of England. His whole career was based on extensive buying and selling, with a greater turnover of players than any other top-flight manager in England, IIRC. Maybe he'd have made a great international manager, but he certainly didn't seem like an obvious fit to a job that requires use of a limited player pool.

I think he would yeah. Even after everything that happened he walked back into an EPL club. Mark my words, he's biding his time on Bilic getting punted from West Ham in the hope the equally moronic David Sullivan falls for his "staunch Englishman" scthick and hires him again.

I would take Bilic as Scotland manager.

Bilic>Big Sam

The i dont want big sam lot are the same people who publicly and loudly admit their hate or dislike our english neighbours and so on but the same very people n posters would gladly chat away to the them in their local behind their patriotic pride...

I used to hate partick thistle growing up then realised most of them dont give a feck about my lot; Same probably goes for the auld enemy rivarlly which is also dead in the water in my opinion..

The other arguement about not having the players. Both Oneills and their irish squads blow that theory out the water

Archived