Big Sam for Scotland

Do you think he'd turn down the chance to get it right up the English by being successful with a near-neighbour?  Look at all the times he beat bigger times and went into press conferences with a huge shit-eating grin on his face, talking about how amazing he was.  He'd love it if he could show England what they were missing.

I think he would yeah. Even after everything that happened he walked back into an EPL club. Mark my words, he's biding his time on Bilic getting punted from West Ham in the hope the equally moronic David Sullivan falls for his "staunch Englishman" scthick and hires him again.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he would yeah. Even after everything that happened he walked back into an EPL club. Mark my words, he's biding his time on Bilic getting punted from West Ham in the hope the equally moronic David Sullivan falls for his "staunch Englishman" scthick and hires him again.

He said yesterday on Talksport he wont go in to club management again.Sounded pretty certain when he was explaining why. I wouldnt be adverse to him being Scotland manager. His style would be a good fit.

Big Sam would be a great choice for us, how many managers have been given the gig because they managed in the EPL and were absolute shite with us and the EPL. Sam is proven to get underdogs punching above there weight anyone dissing this is either brain dead or just don't want an englishaman in charge.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Even though he said he will never do club football again.......wit a stoater you are.

26 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Even though he said he will never do club football again.......wit a stoater you are.

Although he seemed genuine, it's a bit naive to think that if someone flutters their eyelashes at him enough (or more likely, flutters their wallets at him enough) that he won't go back.  I doubt he will, but it wouldn't be the first time someone goes back on their word, and it won't be the last.

The idea that Allardyce is a great manager is one which has been promoted almost entirely by Sam Allardyce. Allardyce is a hoofball merchant whose time in management has been punctuated and defined by flurries of transfers. How would Allardyce solve our defensive crisis? Would he find a centre half from somewhere who was completely beyond the perception of our initial scouting system? 

We may not be hitting the heights that many on these fora seem to believe we ought to be. There are reasons for this which are more nuanced than simply blaming the man in the dug-out. Criticism of managers is expected, but it needs to be fair. WGS has come in for a lot of stick for his decisions and team selections. All managers do and, as tempting as it is, I don't want to get into the specifics of this now. This is a man who has played and managed at the highest level (World Cups and European finals as a player, league titles and champions league knockout stages as a manager) whereas Sam once had two seasons managing in the top 6 of the English PL. That's it for him. He has spent the rest of his career knocking around the relegation zones and even getting sacked because the football his team played was dire. Any evidence that he is any better than Strachan seems hard to come by.

Sam has one way to play. This was evidenced during his time at West Ham, where he vowed to win promotion playing attractive fitba. His signings for that season? John Carew and Kevin Nolan. He then proceeded, quelle surprise, to play the airborne game. 

We have one of the smallest teams in international football. The idea that Allardyce would be able to do anything with a small team is fanciful.

I'm getting more than a bit fed up with the denigrating of Scottish managers. It's got more than a hint of the Scottish cringe about it. We're now talking about Moyes like he's a donkey due to his recent failures, while ignoring the job he did at Everton. He's not in great form right now, but he was appointed manager at one of the top clubs in the world. 

I couldn't give a f**k if he played hooftball if it got results. We're not in a position to start asking for free flowing football from a manager.

WGS can manage at all of the levels he wants. He's been a failure as Scotland manager. Simple as that. He's made awful choices, been stubborn in cases where it's harmed the team, and with the players at his disposal, should be getting better results than he's been getting.

Our defensive crisis shouldn't see us getting beaten by diddies like Georgia and drawing with Lithuania at Hampden. Nor should we be getting horsed in Slovakia. You talk about Scottish cringe, yet can't really imagine that the Scottish players there are better than that?

Whether our next manager is Scottish, English or any other place isn't much of a concern. If Allardyce can turn us into a boring hoofball team that can get some results under our belt, then that'd be enough. Evidence would suggest that Strachan has been a multiple time failure. Where's the actual evidence Allardyce would be worse than that?

4 hours ago, velo army said:

WGS has come in for a lot of stick for his decisions and team selections. All managers do and, as tempting as it is, I don't want to get into the specifics of this now. This is a man who has played and managed at the highest level (World Cups and European finals as a player, league titles and champions league knockout stages as a manager) whereas Sam once had two seasons managing in the top 6 of the English PL. 

Are you seriously suggesting that Allardyce wouldn't have also achieved domestic success if he'd managed Celtic?

Strachan was the first guy to take Coventry out of the top flight in three decades.  He was also disastrous at Middlesbrough.  

You're a Scottish walloper, who makes me cringe.  

Are you seriously suggesting that Allardyce wouldn't have also achieved domestic success if he'd managed Celtic?
Strachan was the first guy to take Coventry out of the top flight in three decades.

Also the first manager to take Southampton to the FA Cup final in 27 years.
And he outdid O'Neill at Celtic with significantly reduced resources.

15 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Also the first manager to take Southampton to the FA Cup final in 27 years.
And he outdid O'Neill at Celtic with significantly reduced resources.

Are you joining in the pretence that Strachan has a better managerial record than Allardyce?

Because that would be utterly bonkers.

Are you joining in the pretence that Strachan has a better managerial record than Allardyce?
Because that would be utterly bonkers.

Not really, tho I haven't compared their stats/levels managed at particularly closely.
Just thought it was unfair you highlighting Strachan's two worst phases.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Not really, tho I haven't compared their stats/levels managed at particularly closely.
Just thought it was unfair you highlighting Strachan's two worst phases.

I was doing so to counter some twit offering only the best, devoid of context.

I was doing so to counter some twit offering only the best, devoid of context.

I see. Apologies.

Generally though I'm not sure I'd rate Allardyce much higher than Strachan, if at all. They both have mixed records, with Allardyce's few seasons near the top quarter of the EPL mildly impressive like Strachan's two Champions' League last 16 appearances, while Strachan's disaster at Boro and relegation at Coventry (though the club had been clinging on for a long time IIRC*) can be paired up with Allardyce's poor show at Newcastle and, somewhat incongruously, his England disgrace.

*ETA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Coventry_City_F.C._seasons

17 minutes ago, Wee Jockie said:

Sadly the manager is irrelevant and has been for some time. We havent had the players for several generations

No players.  Apart from the four of them who have moved for £10m plus in recent season and who are playing in the top leagues in Europe.  The players are absolutely there.

It would be interesting to know how our players are viewed in other European countries. Even if we're totally ignorant of the quality of players in countries like (for example) Slovenia or Georgia, there's usually a player or two we're aware of...would that be the case for us? I guess Oliver Burke will probably be a familiar name in central Europe at this point, but I'd be surprised if players like Craig Gordon or Steven Fletcher have a lot of name recognition.

Archived