Big Sam for Scotland

Nope.

The "I don't big sam lot" are mostly critical of his record and deeply sceptical of his suitability as Scotland manager. I've stated my own case. I haven't heard anything concrete supporting Sam Allardyce as a suitable candidate. 

I'm actually getting a bit fed up now with the pishy standard of this debate. If you think Sam Allardyce would be a good manager, please, say why you think so. Refer specifically to his record and then relate it to both the international scene and to Scotland. The idea that he's better than a "jobs for the boys" pick, without saying why he'd be better than Moyes or Strachan, is just juvenile.

I'll have a go at generalising an entire group of people based on nothing. I think the "I want big sam" lot are so caught up in their Scottish inferiority complex that they'll look at a mediocre manager with a poor pedigree and automatically think he's better than other managers who managed consistently at a higher level (Moyes and Strachan) mainly because he isn't Scottish. I don't believe this. It may be true for some, of course, but it's a fallacious conclusion.

I do love England though. Not the fitba, but I love its pubs, the accents and it's lovely places. I hate Clyde though. Clyde can get tae with it's horrendous wind-tunnel of a stadium (nothing to do with the Jags' mingin record there.....).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, velo army said:

Nope.

The "I don't big sam lot" are mostly critical of his record and deeply sceptical of his suitability as Scotland manager. I've stated my own case. I haven't heard anything concrete supporting Sam Allardyce as a suitable candidate. 

I'm actually getting a bit fed up now with the pishy standard of this debate. If you think Sam Allardyce would be a good manager, please, say why you think so. Refer specifically to his record and then relate it to both the international scene and to Scotland. The idea that he's better than a "jobs for the boys" pick, without saying why he'd be better than Moyes or Strachan, is just juvenile.

I'll have a go at generalising an entire group of people based on nothing. I think the "I want big sam" lot are so caught up in their Scottish inferiority complex that they'll look at a mediocre manager with a poor pedigree and automatically think he's better than other managers who managed consistently at a higher level (Moyes and Strachan) mainly because he isn't Scottish. I don't believe this. It may be true for some, of course, but it's a fallacious conclusion.

I do love England though. Not the fitba, but I love its pubs, the accents and it's lovely places. I hate Clyde though. Clyde can get tae with it's horrendous wind-tunnel of a stadium (nothing to do with the Jags' mingin record there.....).

Allardyce knows how to grind results out, normally with poor players. 

He's like a better version of Tommy Wright at St.Johnstone, bores the other team in to submission with dreadful negative tactics and then slaps one in.

On 19/07/2017 at 21:00, shawfield shed boy said:

Should we approach him when GS departs no doubt end of this campaign

SA wants an international gig and hes better than moyes & Lambert or usual scottish names

Why not??!

Discuss

Two words.

f**k.

Off .

On 7/21/2017 at 17:40, Randy Giles said:

I couldn't give a f**k if he played hooftball if it got results. We're not in a position to start asking for free flowing football from a manager.

WGS can manage at all of the levels he wants. He's been a failure as Scotland manager. Simple as that. He's made awful choices, been stubborn in cases where it's harmed the team, and with the players at his disposal, should be getting better results than he's been getting.

Our defensive crisis shouldn't see us getting beaten by diddies like Georgia and drawing with Lithuania at Hampden. Nor should we be getting horsed in Slovakia. You talk about Scottish cringe, yet can't really imagine that the Scottish players there are better than that?

Whether our next manager is Scottish, English or any other place isn't much of a concern. If Allardyce can turn us into a boring hoofball team that can get some results under our belt, then that'd be enough. Evidence would suggest that Strachan has been a multiple time failure. Where's the actual evidence Allardyce would be worse than that?

Indeed.  Do you think South Ireland fans we're caring when Steve Staunton was long balling it to 8ft 3 Niall Quinn to knock it onto Robbie Keane to blast them into the last 16 on the 2002 WC?  Or when they did it with Jon Walters and Keane in 2012 and 2016?  Did they f**k. South Ireland's mind-numbingly boring hoofball gets them to places Scotland can only dream of.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Indeed.  Do you think South Ireland fans we're caring when Steve Staunton was long balling it to 8ft 3 Niall Quinn to knock it onto Robbie Keane to blast them into the last 16 on the 2002 WC?  Or when they did it with Jon Walters and Keane in 2012 and 2016?  Did they f**k. South Ireland's mind-numbingly boring hoofball gets them to places Scotland can only dream of.

Quite correct, Sam does what he is asked of. Might be painful to watch at times, but 9 times out of 10 he will get the result. 

The other thing I really like about him, he doesn't give a f**k about anything except himself. When he took over West Ham and a journalist asked him about playing the West Ham way, his reply of "what is that? Get relegated every other year?" didn't go down well with the natives. He got us up first time of asking though, and then kept us up before adding players with a bit of flair and individuality. I honestly don't see a great difference between his style of play and that of Billic.

In his final season he had us playing some ridiculously good football in the first half of the season, the likes of Alex Song, and Downing made us a joy to watch at times. Unfortunately numerous injuries meant the season tailed off, however worth pointing out that we qualified for Europe through the Fair Play league.

If he was ever offered the job, and accepted it, I genuinely think we would have our best chance in years of qualifying. 

On 28/07/2017 at 21:17, shawfield shed boy said:

The i dont want big sam lot are the same people who publicly and loudly admit their hate or dislike our english neighbours and so on but the same very people n posters would gladly chat away to the them in their local behind their patriotic pride...

You are a moron.

I don't think it's even that true that he's someone who prefers to play hoofball.  He plays the sort of football he feels the squad he has will be successful with.  A lot of the time the two marry up, but he's someone who is pragmatic enough to know you can't expect players to do something you're shit at just so you can play the way you want.  

On 07/08/2017 at 10:23, LondonHMFC said:

Quite correct, Sam does what he is asked of. Might be painful to watch at times, but 9 times out of 10 he will get the result. 

The other thing I really like about him, he doesn't give a f**k about anything except himself. When he took over West Ham and a journalist asked him about playing the West Ham way, his reply of "what is that? Get relegated every other year?" didn't go down well with the natives. He got us up first time of asking though, and then kept us up before adding players with a bit of flair and individuality. I honestly don't see a great difference between his style of play and that of Billic.

In his final season he had us playing some ridiculously good football in the first half of the season, the likes of Alex Song, and Downing made us a joy to watch at times. Unfortunately numerous injuries meant the season tailed off, however worth pointing out that we qualified for Europe through the Fair Play league.

If he was ever offered the job, and accepted it, I genuinely think we would have our best chance in years of qualifying. 

A very good post the fact it has no likes or dislikes says it all on here, 1 of those posts the trolls just can't reply too.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think he'd do a good job for us, but objections based on his style seem a bit off the mark to me.  It's not as though Scotland currently play free-flowing, beautiful football, and we'd be giving up the aesthetic pleasures we're used to.

I don't think it'd be a very imaginative appointment, though.  It's not much of an improvement to expand the pool from "the usual round of unemployed Scots" to "the usual round of unemployed Scots + some bloke we know from watching English football on the telly".  It's a big world, you know. 

A manager who can get a bunch of mostly ordinary players organised and grinding out results is what Scotland need, at least in the short to medium term. We are not going to turn into Brazil at any point, ever. If we can grind our way up the rankings and into more favourable seeding positions in groups, maybe then we can think about something more.

Archived