Best and worst areas of your town/city

56 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the 'Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation' yet (just to add some data to this debate. The SIMD is something I look at a fair bit through my job and you can have a look at the map here if you are interested. Obviously it isn't the be all and end all but it does highlight things like health, employment and housing. What I always find is that in places like Dundee the 'deciles' used to measure deprivation can change so quickly. Behind my work the area is in decile 8 or 9 which is relatively affluent but yet right in front of my school we have people in the 'most deprived' deciles of 1 and 2. 

^I realise how boring this paragraph is.

For me - 

Dundee Best - The 'West End'. I grew up along Blackness Road and it had the perfect mix of everything really. My wife and I are expecting our first baby so we are already looking at houses there or potentially further east towards the Ferry, Monifieth and beyond (as a United fan I have to live East of Dobbies anyway)

Dundee Worst - Difficult one, as many have mentioned the areas that used to be considered the 'worst' have been regenerated pretty well (it was always Beechwood growing up). Invergowrie Arab made a good point about amenities. If it wasn't for the shops and transport links then there are parts of Stobswell that would be high on the list. 

I went to St John's and had little knowledge of Dundee outside of the centre at first, so it was interesting getting to know the areas my new mates lived in and I'd often walk into town after school via a detour with a mate first, in places like Dryburgh, Menzieshill, Stobswell etc. I soon realised that some places which were meant to be rough really didn't have much wrong with them. Maybe a different story after dark, I don't know.

As you allude to, Dundee is a small place so you find 'bad' areas virtually across the road from 'good' ones. The school itself was next door to Beechwood of course, and it was part of daily life to expect a chase from 'The Beechie' on the lunch mission to Willie Lows. But walking into town from there, along a couple of streets and you're among the nice big houses on Albany Terrace & Dudhope Park.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a mate that's moved to Maryhill near the ground, that must be a bit more genteel these days. Planning a couple days out in Glasgow shortly going to hit the streets of the west and south of the city dropping knowledge all over the place. 

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the 'Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation' yet (just to add some data to this debate. The SIMD is something I look at a fair bit through my job and you can have a look at the map here if you are interested. Obviously it isn't the be all and end all but it does highlight things like health, employment and housing. What I always find is that in places like Dundee the 'deciles' used to measure deprivation can change so quickly. Behind my work the area is in decile 8 or 9 which is relatively affluent but yet right in front of my school we have people in the 'most deprived' deciles of 1 and 2. 

For me - 

Dundee Best - The 'West End'. I grew up along Blackness Road and it had the perfect mix of everything really. My wife and I are expecting our first baby so we are already looking at houses there or potentially further east towards the Ferry, Monifieth and beyond (as a United fan I have to live East of Dobbies anyway)

Dundee Worst - Difficult one, as many have mentioned the areas that used to be considered the 'worst' have been regenerated pretty well (it was always Beechwood growing up). Invergowrie Arab made a good point about amenities. If it wasn't for the shops and transport links then there are parts of Stobswell that would be high on the list. 

1d77fd56f77ca68726516e1b631f501a.jpg

That's mine [emoji41]

Edit- I also think where i stay is alright- far far worse bits of airdrie and in town.

Places I've lived in the UK:

Stirling - best area is bridge of Allan. Nice few pubs, good houses and a decent atmosphere. Worst is probably cultenhove or the Raploch. In general, I get quite depressed when I come back and visit family, the town centre is full of neds and it always feels like aggro is around the corner on a night out.

Edinburgh - Bruntsfield. Perfect mix and my favourite urban area of Scotland. If I moved back, I'd move here. Another vote for Wester Hailes being worst here, but an honourable mention to Pilton.

Glasgow - I loved living in the Merchant City but Marshmallo was bang on about it being a mixed bag. For worst, you could take your pick out of a number of shitholes.

London - Crouch End is my favourite place and I loved living there. Great mix of restaurants, bars, things to do and close to central but keeping a village feel. Worst is Edmonton. Horrific. Nowhere in Scotland even comes close to how bad it is.

Got a mate that's moved to Maryhill near the ground, that must be a bit more genteel these days. Planning a couple days out in Glasgow shortly going to hit the streets of the west and south of the city dropping knowledge all over the place. 

Weekend at Framptons on the cards I take it?

Maryhill is and always will be a shit tip.

I like living in Partick, you're close enough to be within walking distance to Byres Road / Finnieston and public transport links probably the best in the country but not as yet as scandalously expensive as the West End. I wish I'd had the money to buy a flat in Finnieston when I lived there 10 years ago when it was still full of pubs like the Two Ways and Bannisters and the offy had everything behind the counter and a metal cage to stop folk nicking stuff / assualting staff compared to the middle class hipster central it is now.

Liked Leith when I lived there as well although it is one of these places that goes from shithouse to penthouse within about 20 yards.

Grimmest place I've probably stayed was in Whitley Bay when I was working down that way last year. Jakies passed out on the main street at 7am, feral kids running about smashing things up, entire streets of closed down pubs / B&Bs. When the Wetherspoons is by a distance the nicest pub in town you know you're in trouble.

I like living in Partick, you're close enough to be within walking distance to Byres Road / Finnieston and public transport links probably the best in the country but not as yet as scandalously expensive as the West End. I wish I'd had the money to buy a flat in Finnieston when I lived there 10 years ago when it was still full of pubs like the Two Ways and Bannisters and the offy had everything behind the counter and a metal cage to stop folk nicking stuff / assualting staff compared to the middle class hipster central it is now.
Liked Leith when I lived there as well although it is one of these places that goes from shithouse to penthouse within about 20 yards.
Grimmest place I've probably stayed was in Whitley Bay when I was working down that way last year. Jakies passed out on the main street at 7am, feral kids running about smashing things up, entire streets of closed down pubs / B&Bs. When the Wetherspoons is by a distance the nicest pub in town you know you're in trouble.

A work colleague just sold her flat in finnieston recently and got 60k over the asking price! Reckon she made made close to 100k on the thing in about 8 years.

For me - 

I know which schools come out with a higher average SIMD and which are lowest.

No surprise that Grove (Broughty Ferry) is top whilst St Paul's (which takes in pupils from across the Northern schemes - St Mary's, Kirkton, Fintry, Whitfield and Douglas) has over 70% in SIMD 1.

Worst place I've lived has to be Streatham - just off the High Street - a hotbed of drug dealers, prostitutes and shitty one room bedsits.

A vile horrible place.

18 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Maryhill is and always will be a shit tip.

Meh. Maryhill's big enough to have a fair bit of variety. Where I stay, just before the park, is what remains of the original Maryhill village, and it's great. I've got a beautiful flat, nice neighbours, my own bit of garden, the station next door, three supermarkets within walking distance, and the Forth-Clyde canal and the Kelvin walkway just minutes away. The pubs could be better, but otherwise, there's not much I'd change. The valley, about half a mile nearer town, seems like it could be pretty dodgy though, judging by the characters that hang about the One-O-One and Subway.

19 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Weekend at Framptons on the cards I take it?

For reasons too complex and sordid to go into, the Mrs and I once ended up in there on Christmas day, and a pair of absolute creatures tried to interest us in a session of swinging. We had to leg it to the more civilised environment of the Kelvin Dock. 

Going to head through to Glasgow next Saturday. Any recommendations for beers in Finnieston?

What sort of place you after?

Old man pubs - Park Bar or The Grove
Trendier bars - Lebowskis, Kelvingrove Cafe or Strip Joint

Kelvingrove Cafe don't let you order from the bar and insist on fucking table service. Present you with a menu that lacks prices which inevitably leads to a grim bill of £6 pints. It can get fucked.

Barring The Park Bar and maybe Lebowskis I find Finnieston overrated for drinking. Nice for scran though.

Archived