Best and worst areas of your town/city

Brno City centre and just north of it is nice, not too busy and is pretty clean and tidy. The nice thing about Brno is that it does live up to its nickname as "the biggest village" - once you get out of the centre there are many village-like parts of town, and everyone tends to know everyone. If I didn't live in the centre I'd probably live somewhere like Komín which is nice or the more closeby Žabovřesky.

For me the worst area would probably be Bohunice - full of communist-era highrises and very few local amenities. 

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That'll be coming up next month - aside from the occasional lost Austrian tourist it's the only time that people seem to come and visit the town as everyone only knows Prague. Allegedly the business is so good that the hoors get bussed in from the capital for the week. What a time to be alive. 

ETA: If anyone ever finds themselves in this neck of the woods I'll happily show folk about (mostly pubs). 

Based on the places I’ve lived and actually been to

Inverkeithing

Best – I really can’t find of any really nice areas, just less shitty than others. A lot of the new flats being built look nice though

Worst – Fraser Avenue, described by Hibs number 1 casual in his book as ‘The worst street in Fife’ or something similar, I’d disagree with this but it’s still shit, wise decision to knock it down

Edinburgh

Best – My old neighbourhood of Bruntsfield was hard to beat

Worst – Used to go to the Jack Kane Centre in Niddrie a lot and it was just a horrible area, the sports centre is full of reminders not to leave your valuables in your car.

Toronto

Best – There are some areas of tremendous wealth in the city, Rosedale, Yorkville, Bridle Path. Driving through these areas you see some beautiful houses and gardens. Hard to believe you are still in the city sometimes

Worst – Where do I start? Jane and Finch, Rexdale, Malvern, Regent Park all sketchy dumps. When I first moved to Canada I lived in Parkdale, the street I was on wasn’t too bad but the nearest main intersection, King and Dufferin was always interesting. A lot of the apartment buildings had bed bug problems, the formerly quite nice row houses were all converted into rooming houses to squeeze in as many down and outs as they could. There were constantly people begging at King and Dufferin. As well as crack heads or mentally ill people all day and night, sometimes they were a combination of both, one crackhead had it in his head that he had to scrape the dirt out from between all the slabs on the pavement, he did a great job to be fair. One night there was two guys standing on the corner, one offers me crack which I kindly decline, his buddy says to him ‘nah he looks too fat to be on crack’ an insult and compliment all at the same time. Sometimes I miss living there, mostly I don’t

In Killie it's much of a muchness with other places. In terms of decent areas Gargieston, Dundonald Road, South Hamilton Street and the area around RP aren't too bad. Grange estate and the east of the town out from the Palace Theatre to the end of London Road that goes over the A77 and towards Crookedholm and Hurlford aren't bad at all either. The town centre is pretty depressing due to its near-constant roadworks, crap buildings and army of neds/pondlife that are forever hanging around during the daytime. As mentioned earlier Altonhill/Longpark and Shortlees are pretty bad - one or two of the streets around there are incredibly rough. The newer houses up at the top of the town at Southcraig and now encroaching into Northcraig seem alright but there's nothing apart from houses and the callcentre & sandwich factory up there. Can't imagine there'll be much of a community vibe up there but there's a fair amount of people who move down from Glasgow to these houses just for work and never really come into the town centre at all.

While the town does have some pretty bad areas, at least we've got some decent historical buildings like the Dick Institute, the Palace/Grand Hall and the station, unlike many new towns. We're also pretty much perfect for going up to Glasgow or further beyond or into the rest of Ayrshire. I think we're a 5.5-6/10 - plenty of work to be done in terms of improving the town, but far from the worst place going.

Ardler is nothing like Dryburgh and Fintry. As DTED said Whitfield has nearly gone. Population of 18000 in its heyday to about 7000 now.

And even parts classed as Whitfield are quality owner-occupied housing. There's just a few of the original Skarne blocks left - the worst bit left is probably Lower Whitfield around Murrayfield Gardens which is as far as I am aware is on the hit list for demolition.

3 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

What about that area The Scheme is based upon? Don't tell us all that's reasonable.

It's absolutely not. As has been stated, Altonhill, Longpark, Tourhill and Onthank certainly have their rough bits - Longpark in particular, where most of the show was actually filmed. There's a couple of streets in Shortlees which I think are some of the absolute worst in Scotland for deprivation let alone the county or the town. Long way to go in terms of improving the town.

Cumbernauld. 
Best - Dullatur, Westerwood and Carrickstone are the nicest parts. A fair few Premiership footballers live up there. 
Worst - South Carbrain and Kildrum, the former being the worst of the two. You could probably extend that to the full of Cumbernauld town centre area. 

North carbrain and millcroft are worse than those tow areas.

1 hour ago, Andy_K_97 said:

In Killie it's much of a muchness with other places. In terms of decent areas Gargieston, Dundonald Road, South Hamilton Street and the area around RP aren't too bad. Grange estate and the east of the town out from the Palace Theatre to the end of London Road that goes over the A77 and towards Crookedholm and Hurlford aren't bad at all either. The town centre is pretty depressing due to its near-constant roadworks, crap buildings and army of neds/pondlife that are forever hanging around during the daytime. As mentioned earlier Altonhill/Longpark and Shortlees are pretty bad - one or two of the streets around there are incredibly rough. The newer houses up at the top of the town at Southcraig and now encroaching into Northcraig seem alright but there's nothing apart from houses and the callcentre & sandwich factory up there. Can't imagine there'll be much of a community vibe up there but there's a fair amount of people who move down from Glasgow to these houses just for work and never really come into the town centre at all.

While the town does have some pretty bad areas, at least we've got some decent historical buildings like the Dick Institute, the Palace/Grand Hall and the station, unlike many new towns. We're also pretty much perfect for going up to Glasgow or further beyond or into the rest of Ayrshire. I think we're a 5.5-6/10 - plenty of work to be done in terms of improving the town, but far from the worst place going.

Laughing GIF.gif

Just now, Andy_K_97 said:

Add Fanny by Gaslight to the mix and you've got yourself a town, my sock-wielding friend

At least it shows you have a sense of humour. 

I don't know Kilmarnock at all but The Scheme did its reputation a great deal of damage, its the first thing that i think about when someone mentions the town though. 

Just now, throbber said:

At least it shows you have a sense of humour. 

I don't know Kilmarnock at all but The Scheme did its reputation a great deal of damage, its the first thing that i think about when someone mentions the town though. 

It aired at a bad time for me as well. I was the only one from the town and the only Killie fan on my uni course, and things were going well in late 2009/early 2010 in terms of meeting new people and adjusting to student life at the time. Then it aired...

If you think the Scheme is bad you should check out the one they did in Norn Iron called the Estate. Makes Kilmarnock look like paradise in comparison

I viewed a flat right in the middle of Govanhill a few months ago. Weeks later the exact same building turned up on a BBC documentary about people trafficking. The place was a shitehole.

In Inverness - the Ferry is quite bad (and, IIRC, one of the most deprived areas in Scotland). I mind people in school used to talk about bits of Dalneigh and Hilton being dodgy but they don't seem bad. Maybe a couple of shit streets but that's about it. Although in general the city centre is a scum magnet. The High Street is really depressing. But certainly a lot more good areas than bad.

16 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Bunch of teuchtars on here man. Seems as if folk from the central belt are a minority.

Certainly people from Airdrie, as no c**t wants to live in that fucking cesspool let alone boast about it.

Archived