Teachers of P&B

• 1 month later...

NASUWT say the Scottish government have missed their own deadline in providing guidelines for physically restraining pupils.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd15p1rgxepo 

Sounds like a bad story all round tbh. Are we going to start training teachers in jiu jitsu, just in case the pupils attack them?

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

NASUWT say the Scottish government have missed their own deadline in providing guidelines for physically restraining pupils.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd15p1rgxepo 

Sounds like a bad story all round tbh. Are we going to start training teachers in jiu jitsu, just in case the pupils attack them?

A former teacher of mine was (supposedly) a black belt in karate and punched/dented his metal filing cabinet during classes to reinforce this.

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

A former teacher of mine was (supposedly) a black belt in karate and punched/dented his metal filing cabinet during classes to reinforce this.

I saw our old janny grab a boy by the neck for calling him a weirdo.

17 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

One of the bairns teachers is an ex bouncer. His noggin looks like a chopping board with the bottle scars.

Lovely bloke mind you and the kids absolutely love him. 

Computing?

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

English.

We had one in Computing. An absolute brute of a guy, loved his rugby and would regularly turn up with black eyes and grazes. Once with a circular scar around his eye where the arse end of a bottle had been forced. Lovely fella though.

13 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

We had one in Computing. An absolute brute of a guy, loved his rugby and would regularly turn up with black eyes and grazes. Once with a circular scar around his eye where the arse end of a bottle had been forced. Lovely fella though.

This boy used to work Fatties and the likes apparently. A proper gentle giant now. 

On 31/03/2024 at 09:12, Hedgecutter said:

Was it not kung-fu?

On 03/04/2024 at 20:32, scottsdad said:

The school my daughter goes to, they call the teachers Sir and Miss.

Weirdos.

Doesn't every school do that?

I was reading about the case of Ruth Perry, the headteacher of a primary school in Reading who took her own life after the school was inspected by Ofsted and regarded from 'outstanding' to 'inadequate'.  The issue was with the schools safeguarding practice and the inspectors estimated that it would have taken 30 days to rectify the issues found.  The single word inspection results (oustanding, good, inadequate etc) have been criticsed, with Labour saying they will get rid of them.  Ofsted have undertaken to update their procedures to deal with some concerns raised in the coroners inquest but some teachers unions are campaigning for the abolition of Ofsted.  This isn't the first time that Ofsted inspections have been mentioned in relation to the death of a teacher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd1088x7w5xo - Latest story about the case, with lots of links explaining other details.

I know that inspections are very difficult, being a headteacher under inspection must be hard.  It's very British that Ruth Perry was worried that the inspection report would cause house prices in her area to fall and have the local community turn against her - house prices not safeguarding of children!  You surely have to have a method of assessing schools though.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I know that inspections are very difficult, being a headteacher under inspection must be hard. 

Not at the school I went to. I’ve no idea how it passed the inspections every year and managed to stay open. It must take something like the roof caving in for them to shut it. The head teacher seemed more bothered about uniforms than the fucking state the school was in. 

2 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Not at the school I went to. I’ve no idea how it passed the inspections every year and managed to stay open. It must take something like the roof caving in for them to shut it. The head teacher seemed more bothered about uniforms than the fucking state the school was in. 

No excuse for looking scruffy, even if the roof has fallen in and none of the students can read.

On 05/04/2024 at 16:12, ICTChris said:

Doesn't every school do that?

I was reading about the case of Ruth Perry, the headteacher of a primary school in Reading who took her own life after the school was inspected by Ofsted and regarded from 'outstanding' to 'inadequate'.  The issue was with the schools safeguarding practice and the inspectors estimated that it would have taken 30 days to rectify the issues found.  The single word inspection results (oustanding, good, inadequate etc) have been criticsed, with Labour saying they will get rid of them.  Ofsted have undertaken to update their procedures to deal with some concerns raised in the coroners inquest but some teachers unions are campaigning for the abolition of Ofsted.  This isn't the first time that Ofsted inspections have been mentioned in relation to the death of a teacher.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd1088x7w5xo - Latest story about the case, with lots of links explaining other details.

I know that inspections are very difficult, being a headteacher under inspection must be hard.  It's very British that Ruth Perry was worried that the inspection report would cause house prices in her area to fall and have the local community turn against her - house prices not safeguarding of children!  You surely have to have a method of assessing schools though.

Mine didn't.

I called my history teacher Mr Henderson...until I was 17 drinking in his pub and he bought me a pint. In the pub he was David.

He is buried opposite my uncle now. I always say hello.

Sir and Miss were never a thing at my school.