Teachers of P&B

You’ve worded that post about your 5th year teacher in a way intended to cause a bit of hysteria IMO. Would I be right in assuming said bj happened years later after you left school?

I’m quite happy to take any sort of criticism and replies from most on the forum but I won’t be explaining my post to an absolute life-reject like you.

On 08/09/2017 at 22:16, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

A question for teachers, my Maths teacher says if we get how surds work then we should do well in Nat 5, is this true?

I feel like some of the other people in my maths who need it explained a bit more sometimes don't get the help they need although this could be due to higher expectations as we're the top class.

IMG_1189.thumb.JPG.c500f779abda9a624ddbfb9e13ac765f.JPG

No.

Surds are a relatively small part of National 5 maths. Factorising is a much bigger topic and has applications in manipulating algebraic expressions, simplifying algebraic fractions, parabolas and quadratics.

However, by far and away the biggest factor in whether or not a pupil will do well at National 5 maths is how well they stuck in throughout primary school and in S1-S3, where they learn the basic skills that are applied to further mathematics.

I’m quite happy to take any sort of criticism and replies from most on the forum but I won’t be explaining my post to an absolute life-reject like you.

[emoji1]

Dindeleux has recovered this tbf

You’re both utter welts tbh

12 minutes ago, Gaz said:

No.

Surds are a relatively small part of National 5 maths. Factorising is a much bigger topic and has applications in manipulating algebraic expressions, simplifying algebraic fractions, parabolas and quadratics.

However, by far and away the biggest factor in whether or not a pupil will do well at National 5 maths is how well they stuck in throughout primary school and in S1-S3, where they learn the basic skills that are applied to further mathematics.

Aye, but have you ever sucked Dindeleux's dick?

On 08/09/2017 at 22:16, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

A question for teachers, my Maths teacher says if we get how surds work then we should do well in Nat 5, is this true?

I feel like some of the other people in my maths who need it explained a bit more sometimes don't get the help they need although this could be due to higher expectations as we're the top class.

IMG_1189.thumb.JPG.c500f779abda9a624ddbfb9e13ac765f.JPG

Surds is worth 3 marks at most in the N5 exam. That’s out of 90 (soon to be 110).

The topics which have more clout in the exam are quadratics and trig. There’s usually around 3 questions on each, with one being a 6 or 7 marker.

Surds & Indices does have links to Higher, as do a fair few other topics. That may be what they meant.

Edited by AyrshireTon

16 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Surds is worth 3 marks at most in the N5 exam. That’s out of 90 (soon to be 110).

The topics which have more clout in the exam are quadratics and trig. There’s usually around 3 questions on each, with one being a 6 or 7 marker.

Surds & Indices does have links to Higher, as do a fair few other topics. That may be what they meant.

I taught maths for 31 years. Surds is just the icing on the cake for people wanting an 'A' pass (if such a thing still exists). Higher is all about factorising. If you can't factorise, forget it.

• 1 year later...

Just read this thread. There is no evidence whatsoever that having a higher mathematics qualification helps with teaching mathematics/numeracy at Primary. This is supported by the RSE and the SMC.

Nevertheless, the confidence of primary teachers in the mathematical ability must be checked as this can negatively affect kids.

I know a great deal of teachers, none are looking to quit. It’s clearly a very tough job though, particularly if you teach a STEM subject as the classes are getting bigger and the teachers are becoming fewer, no matter how much money/awareness the SG tried to throw at it.

Just read this thread. There is no evidence whatsoever that having a higher mathematics qualification helps with teaching mathematics/numeracy at Primary. This is supported by the RSE and the SMC.
Nevertheless, the confidence of primary teachers in the mathematical ability must be checked as this can negatively affect kids.
I know a great deal of teachers, none are looking to quit. It’s clearly a very tough job though, particularly if you teach a STEM subject as the classes are getting bigger and the teachers are becoming fewer, no matter how much money/awareness the SG tried to throw at it.
Classes are limited to 20, remember, in the sciences.
The issue causing a lot of angst at the moment is bi or tri level teaching.