Cash or Cashless?

Romeo

Cash or Cashless  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Needs it's own thread imo

On the PTTGOYN thread there is currently a bit of a debate about the merits or otherwise of cashless payments through your phone or contactless bank card.

I am all for doing away with cash completely mainly to stop women and other idiots scrambling through a purse counting out coppers.

Over to you p&b

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, throbber said:

I hardly ever take out cash, why would I need to make a pointless transaction when I can just pay by card?

One of the issues raised on the other thread was how would you pay for something like a Big Issue throbber.

One of the issues raised on the other thread was how would you pay for something like a Big Issue throbber.

I don't buy a big issue so it doesn't matter. The only time it's worthwhile withdrawing money for me is when going to football so I can budget for beers and pie / bovril.

7 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Needs it's own thread imo

On the PTTGOYN thread there is currently a bit of a debate about the merits or otherwise of cashless payments through your phone or contactless bank card.

That isn't the debate.  It's about whether a whole economy should regard money simply as an electronic register overseen by banks, clearing houses and government rather than having some physical representation.

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

That isn't the debate.  It's about whether a whole economy should regard money simply as an electronic register overseen by banks, clearing houses and government rather than having some physical representation.

Cash is overseen by banks, clearing houses and the government.

It's what David icke has been saying all along, we're heading for a microchipped population (if we aren't already there) where there is a world centralised bank with cashless currency. Eventually you will pay for things by fingerprint/eye scans and there will be nothing poor people can do about this and they will all die out leaving the worlds population at around 500 million.

Just now, throbber said:

It's what David icke has been saying all along, we're heading for a microchipped population (if we aren't already there) where there is a world centralised bank with cashless currency. Eventually you will pay for things by fingerprint/eye scans and there will be nothing poor people can do about this and they will all die out leaving the worlds population at around 500 million.

But will jet fuel melt your bank card?

Just now, Romeo said:

Cash is overseen by banks, clearing houses and the government.

So what?  The debate on the other thread is absolutely not, "about the merits or otherwise of cashless payments through your phone or contactless bank card."  That ship has sailed, mostly for good.

It's about the option to have a physical representation of cash being withdrawn.

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Someone told me at the weekend that Big Issue salesman can take bank cards. Not sure if that's true or not. 

See the post I made on the 'real' discussion about a cashless society over on the PTTGOYN thread rather than the 'plastic' one ;)

1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

Needs a 'do away with money altogether' option. 

I think it also needs a "put a picture of the queen on my bank card and i'll be happy" option too.

Was at a wedding yesterday and didn't take much cash, assumed the venue (a 4* hotel) would take card so would just pay with that for drinks which would no doubt be a fortune anyway.
Imagine my astonishment and disgust when I went to order the 1st round and got told "we don't take cards"

Archived