Central 1st Division 2017-18

Ryso Mac

Benburb are out there in front having won 7 out of 8. As Jason said there's a bit of catching up to do with clubs starting to mount up games in hand. Problem is, if Benburb open up a serious gap of say 10 or 12 points they'd be uncatchable. With Benburb having the astro turf that's possible.  There's teams in this league who won't reach the halfway stage (14 games) until maybe April with the cup games and the winter setting in plus three Saturday's off for all clubs between now and New Year. 

Interesting to see if Wishaw can hang in there till next summer in second place.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Benburb are out there in front having won 7 out of 8. As Jason said there's a bit of catching up to do with clubs starting to mount up games in hand. Problem is, if Benburb open up a serious gap of say 10 or 12 points they'd be uncatchable. With Benburb having the astro turf that's possible.  There's teams in this league who won't reach the halfway stage (14 games) until maybe April with the cup games and the winter setting in plus three Saturday's off for all clubs between now and New Year. 

Interesting to see if Wishaw can hang in there till next summer in second place.

St Roch's are looking pretty too winning 5 out of 6.

Win the next three home league games in a trot and then the game against Benburb on the 25th of November would be a big game for both sides.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to East Kilbride Thistle today getting a win today v Benburb at New Tinto Park. Had the Bens won this game today they would have run away with the league especially as almost all the Chooky Hens home games are bound to be on this winter with the astro turf pitch. 

Yep, well done again to the EK Jags.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

How well does Greenock's pitch hold up to the cold? I might have to be out there on Saturday morning for a work thing, and will stick around if the game is likely to be on

Was there couple of week back and was convinced ut would be off as i wurk down that was wet and frosty all week at times

and was surprising gd on the sat

• 1 month later...
On 12 November 2017 at 12:40, Mon The Port said:

St Rochs vs Rossvale is a big game, winner will be looking to kick on and keep up with Benburb.

Rossvale won that and have banked another 9 points since putting themselves way out in front with 30 points after 13 games. Think about it, another 20 points from the remaining 15 games and Rossvale have crossed the magical 50 points mark and the keys to the door of promotion. Going by the last 15 seasons almost all the teams who crossed the 50 point mark first went up. Now with 3 places for straight promotion and a 4th play off place, Rossvale are looking good for the first spot with 6 straight league wins. Benburb seem to have slipped up the last couple of games dropping points to St Roch's and Glasgow Perthshire. Still the Bens are looking good on 25 points in the bag with 15 games to go. Then it's catch up for the rest with 3, 4 and 5 games in hand and we ain't out the winter yet. A whole number of teams could be looking at 3 and 4 league game a week in the month of May. Something to be said for artificial pitches.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/01/2018 at 18:55, Glenconner said:

Rossvale won that and have banked another 9 points since putting themselves way out in front with 30 points after 13 games. Think about it, another 20 points from the remaining 15 games and Rossvale have crossed the magical 50 points mark and the keys to the door of promotion. Going by the last 15 seasons almost all the teams who crossed the 50 point mark first went up. Now with 3 places for straight promotion and a 4th play off place, Rossvale are looking good for the first spot with 6 straight league wins. Benburb seem to have slipped up the last couple of games dropping points to St Roch's and Glasgow Perthshire. Still the Bens are looking good on 25 points in the bag with 15 games to go. Then it's catch up for the rest with 3, 4 and 5 games in hand and we ain't out the winter yet. A whole number of teams could be looking at 3 and 4 league game a week in the month of May. Something to be said for artificial pitches.

Now we are into Feb any thoughts on promotion/relegation. I’d go for top 3 of  Wishaw , St.Rochs and Rossvale with Neilston in 4th. Thinking Thorniewood, Gow to go down. No clue for third relegation spot though !

2 hours ago, redstarbenhar said:

Now we are into Feb any thoughts on promotion/relegation. I’d go for top 3 of  Wishaw , St.Rochs and Rossvale with Neilston in 4th. Thinking Thorniewood, Gow to go down. No clue for third relegation spot though !

That's the two front runners (Rossvale and Benburb) reached the halfway stage on 14 games. Problem is trying to work out the rest of the league with teams having so many games in hand. Depending on the weather and cup games it could be a month before the likes of Wishaw start looking at a league campaign. They could easily have 8/9/10 games in hand to the leaders by then. I'll stick with Rossvale and Benburb going up with 3rd and 4th place up for grabs for any 2 from 4 teams. Relegation looks similar with some teams playing a game a month since November. Sadly for a number of teams it will be Easter before they reach the halfway stage and that might have killed any hopes or dreams.

Only a couple of game this week and you've guessed it, it's Rossvale and Benburb with another two fine homes wins. Rossvale now on 36 pts from 15 games. Although to be fair if i'm reading next week's fixture list correctly, Rossvale have a free week. Benburb with 31 pts will looking at that to edge closer to Rossvale next Saturday in the run away with promotion stakes. Wishaw and Forth with only 8 league games played each are still waiting to start an outstanding Junior Cup tie while some of the big guns are figuring out who they might play in the semi final. I'm sure the result the two teams must dread when they eventually play must be a draw.

• 2 weeks later...

No changes this week with Rossvale and Benburb still way out there in front. Interesting game coming up this Saturday when second placed Benburb at home play third placed Neilston. Forth and Wishaw are still waiting to play out a Scottish Cup tie and then go up against Yoker in the same competition. Both Forth and Wishaw have eight games in hand to Benburb. It will be an interesting couple of months considering if Wishaw win those games in hand they'd be top of the league!!!

The problem for Wishaw will be getting those games played - it's looking like they'll need to be playing Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Saturday for a good few weeks to ensure that the seasons finish at roughly the same time for the play-offs. Personally, I think catching up that many games will be what keeps them out of the automatic promotion spots and I wouldn't be surprised if it also kept them out of the play-off.

30 minutes ago, Jason King said:

The problem for Wishaw will be getting those games played - it's looking like they'll need to be playing Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Saturday for a good few weeks to ensure that the seasons finish at roughly the same time for the play-offs. Personally, I think catching up that many games will be what keeps them out of the automatic promotion spots and I wouldn't be surprised if it also kept them out of the play-off.

Exactly right - their passive “wait and see” approach to getting games on will probably hurt their promotion chances and, as a consequence, Forth’s survival chances. Would have thought a proactive Astro based plan B for a junior cup tie would be possible given their postponement history.

1 hour ago, redstarbenhar said:

Exactly right - their passive “wait and see” approach to getting games on will probably hurt their promotion chances and, as a consequence, Forth’s survival chances. Would have thought a proactive Astro based plan B for a junior cup tie would be possible given their postponement history.

So OK - lets think about this - Wishaw have had two games since the beginning of December = No money coming in:

Scottish Cup Rules - Half Gate between the two teams - say that 100 people attend = £500.00 income

Less the Ref and the Linos (Cant remember the exact money for this round so gone for 50 each) = 150.00

Remaining Funds: 175.00 per club

Before having to pay players and not forgetting the no income scenario from the catering etc.  I am sure Forth would want a significant income from them from the game as I believe you just sold your main player to Benburb because you needed the money.

So lets say Ravenscraig is the chosen 4g venue - cost of pitch is £150.00 - so Wishaw make £25.00 and Forth Make 87.50.  I am sure that will pay two Wishaw players team but not sure about how many of the forth team from 87.50.

I am sure that no club in their right mind can afford, having as many games still to be played, whilst still incurring expenditure would do this - although as you are so concerned about Wishaw effecting Forth's survival chances - I am sure that your club would offer to split the cost of the hire of a 4G surface and then both clubs can sit there and cross their fingers it doesn't snow and that is off as well.  Although it is also interesting to note that since August Forth have had eight games off at home according to the SJFA website and Wishaw have had seven postponements at home.  "wait and see" approach from forth then eh?

I know for a fact that Wishaw have worked non stop on the pitch to try and get the game playable but have been thwarted at every opportunity, I was told that the pitch was playable on the Wednesday last week but the heavy rain on Thursday/Friday and Saturday morning left it with no chance.

I am sure both clubs are desperate to get the game on and played but ill-informed posts like the one quoted helps no-one.

Archived