Acid attacks

Last night in East London there were five acid attacks in just over an hour, with a teenager ending the night in police custody.  One of the victims has life-changing injuries.

There has been a rise in the use of corrosive substances, usually sulphuric acid, as a weapon in the last few years.  Some counts say that there is an acid attack in London almost every day.

In recent history this sort of attack has been linked to certain Asian cultures but it seems that it's spreading - two young Asian people were attacked by a white man in East London last week and a low-level celebrity is currently in custody facing charges relating to an acid attack in a nightclub.

What can be done to prevent the rise in these attacks?

Have any P&Bers ever had acid thrown at them?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Last night in East London there were five acid attacks in just over an hour, with a teenager ending the night in police custody.  One of the victims has life-changing injuries.

There has been a rise in the use of corrosive substances, usually sulphuric acid, as a weapon in the last few years.  Some counts say that there is an acid attack in London almost every day.

In recent history this sort of attack has been linked to certain Asian cultures but it seems that it's spreading - two young Asian people were attacked by a white man in East London last week and a low-level celebrity is currently in custody facing charges relating to an acid attack in a nightclub.

Alkalis.

Best piece of advice I could give anyone is simply never ever go to London.  Let's compare London with say Crieff.   How many enormous fires, acid and terror attacks has Crieff endured in the last 3 months?  

That's my point.  And I don't like Crieff and everyone who lives there.  

2 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Best piece of advice I could give anyone is simply never ever go to London.  Let's compare London with say Crieff.   How many enormous fires, acid and terror attacks has Crieff endured in the last 3 months?  

That's my point.  And I don't like Crieff and everyone who lives there.  

There was that massive fire on Crieff High St about 5 years ago.

B aware.

35 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Maybe stop sticking it on the news and giving scumbags ideas they'd never had before

Supposedly one of the reasons behind the increase is that folk involved with gangs know they are likely to be stopped and searched when they are out and about, so they no longer carry knives or guns.

Supposedly one of the reasons behind the increase is that folk involved with gangs know they are likely to be stopped and searched when they are out and about, so they no longer carry knives or guns.

Are you allowed to cut about with acid? Asking for a friend obviously.

4 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

I assume the police probably have the right to take it off you but can't arrest you if you have at least thought of some half arsed reason for being in possession of it in the first place.

20 minutes ago, Ross. said:

14 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

8 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I assume the police probably have the right to take it off you but can't arrest you if you have at least thought of some half arsed reason for being in possession of it in the first place.

I like where this is heading.

Police stop and search.

"You going to drink what's in that bottle?"

"Erm, no"

"No? I insist you do."

I like where this is heading.

Police stop and search.
"You going to drink what's in that bottle?"
"Erm, no"
"No? I insist you do."

I'm sure that won't end with the culprit opening the bottle (with the pretence of drinking it) and launching it at the policeman's face.

Answer 1: Ask people to stop being so unpleasant and/or ban sales of acid.

Answer 2: Personally, I have never knowingly had acid thrown at me. However, I have lived in London, so it could have been me.

Have had acid in my face and eyes before. Spent hours wishing I was dead so the pain would finally stop. Anybody who deliberately throws acid into somebody's face deserves to be publicly beheaded with a blunt knife.

Archived