Paris

JMDP

• 2 weeks later...

Just back today after five days, and didn’t disappoint. Went up Champs Elysees on Thursday night, had some dinner. Disney on Friday, and split the bus tour over two days, getting off at the Arc du Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and other places along the way.

Was in Paris years ago when I was travelling, but I completely underestimated the size of the metro, it’s enormous. We seemed to never be off trains. Highlight was, without doubt, a wee busker/pickpocket singing a song to us on one of the main lines on Friday night after my bird threw a couple of euros in his cup, was fantastic.

But yeah, it’s such an expensive city. I found it mental that you could get a decent dinner for 20€, but a pint in a lot of places was 8-9€.

• 1 year later...

Hoping for some advice. The mrs and I are going to Paris in October to celebrate anniversary and I'm looking at taking her out for dinner. Is this ideal? https://booking.parisinfo.com/il4-offer_i250-dinner-cruise-9-15pm-la-marina.aspx

Another question I have is: 

Price includes :
- Dinner-cruise "Saveurs" at the Marina de Paris (wine or soft drink included)
- 1/2 bottle of wine per person

Does this mean you could get a full bottle of wine per person or will half a bottle be replaced by a soft drink?

Final question, what is tipping like in France? Is it similar to the US where you're talking about 25%?

16 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Hoping for some advice. The mrs and I are going to Paris in October to celebrate anniversary and I'm looking at taking her out for dinner. Is this ideal? https://booking.parisinfo.com/il4-offer_i250-dinner-cruise-9-15pm-la-marina.aspx

Another question I have is: 

Price includes :
- Dinner-cruise "Saveurs" at the Marina de Paris (wine or soft drink included)
- 1/2 bottle of wine per person

Does this mean you could get a full bottle of wine per person or will half a bottle be replaced by a soft drink?

Final question, what is tipping like in France? Is it similar to the US where you're talking about 25%?

The reviews look pretty good. It's either wine or soft drink. You could always sneak on a couple more half bottles, which is probably how they serve it. 10% will be plenty, but as you pay in advance you could likely get away with nothing with no fuss.

Edited by welshbairn

On 18/08/2019 at 12:12, Arabdownunder said:

Don't think there would be any need to sneak extra bottles on board. The half bottle is whats included in the price. If you want more you'll be able to buy it.

From the question I assumed the tightwad wasn't keen on paying anymore, especially at restaurant prices, and given the already hefty bill.

On 20/08/2019 at 10:55, welshbairn said:

From the question I assumed the tightwad wasn't keen on paying anymore, especially at restaurant prices, and given the already hefty bill.

I wasn't being tight.. I've never visited Paris and wasn't sure what the description meant - I assumed that a half bottle per person was a full bottle of wine between 2 people (thinking on it I've been a tit and it'll be a half bottle not half of a bottle). I like white and she likes red.

Again for the tip, I always tip however usually round to the nearest whole e.g £42 will become £50 and depending on service I'll give a reasonable amount directly to the waiter however as I understand in America it doesn't work like this and they expect a tip with each service or at the beginning for a 'premium' service. I wanted to know if I should "slip the waiter a 20" upon arrival.

Hefty bill is what I was meaning by is this ideal - 91 euros each for a 3 course meal is a good price if you're getting what you pay for.  The money isn't an issue as I want to treat the Mrs to a nice meal in Paris and had budgeted for somewhere such as Le Cinq (probably couldn't get a table but you get the idea and style of what I was looking for) and don't want to take her to the Paris equivalent of weatherspoons for example. Will one of these fine dining cruises be on par with a fine dining restaurant?

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It won't be fine dining, you're paying for the boat. But from the reviews the food sounds decent and you'll see Paris by night flowing past. Sounds ok to me.

A carafe and a nice piece of fish/steak on one of those restaurant boats on the Seine is a pretty much essential part of visiting Paris. If you can see Notre Dame, and have to stumble home, so much the better.