Paris

JMDP

I'm sure this has been done before but couldn't locate a topic quickly. Thought I'd ask the P&B travellers for advice.

So, I'm taking the missus to Paris for a few days in a couple of weeks time. Any recommendations outside the obvious? Places to eat, nightlife, etc.

I've been a couple of times before, once for a festival and the other time was a brief stop so any advice would be welcome.

If you and the missus are into walking, I think Paris is a great place just to wander around.  The architecture is beautiful and you never know what you will find just wandering around.  Arm yourself with a metro map just in case you get lost, Metro stations are everywhere.  

If you want a decent view of the city without the hassle of the Eiffel Tower or Montmartre, go to the Galeries Lafayette and head for the rooftop terrace. Not sureif it is still the case but you used to be able to just grab an expensive coffee - may expect you to eat now. But they have these coin binocular things so it's not like you'd be frowned upon. 

Agree with just walking. It's a great place to stroll round. 

Don't get caught out by some old biddy asking you if you've dropped a gold ring and then insisting you take it anyway for good luck - and could you spare 5 euros. 

Would never happen to me. No way ...

Dont know the name of the street,but theres a great wee bit of nightlife down at the Bastille metro stop.Basically come out the exit and you see a hamburger "quick" place and walk past that and its up to the right.Always busy and its a 24hr place

I once saw a tramp a tramp take a shit on a metro train in Paris. It was the most vile and equally hilarious thing I've ever seen. An entire carriage crammed into about 4 seats worth of space as he casually got on with his business. He then wiped his arse with newspaper he found on the floor. At the next station the entire train emptied, but I'd loved to have seen the reaction of those getting on!

• 4 weeks later...

Can only say i was really disappointed with both trips to Paris I've had.

France generally is a superb country but Paris really lets it down once all the romantic shite is out the way. Vastly overpriced and full of absolute filth at every corner.

Other than the fine tour of Parc des Princes and a wee bit of fine architecture i would honestly advise a couple to go elsewhere in Europe.

If you're on a budget find a hotel near a metro stop outside the centre. Not only will it be cheaper but so will the local bars and restaurants, and much less touristy. Check the area out on streetview first. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah Paris.... Summer of 98. 2 weeks wandering the streets in the middlle of the night before slumping back to the then refugee camp like conditions of the Bois de Bolougne. Sleeping it off under canvas in the blazing sunshine and getting up at the crack of noon to go again.

But it was a happy camp. Full of supporters from all over the world, (but mainly Scots) who wouldnae or couldnae afford to stump up for a hotel.

Although some of them paid for the camping:lol:

Them were the days to be a Scottish fitba fan.

I always advise first timers to use Metro lines 2 and 6 to get a hang of the geography of the city. Most of both of these lines are elevated and essentially form a big circle. You can change from one line to the other at Etoile and Nation.

Someone mentioned the Rue Mouffetard, it has an excellent food market and there is a mini Roman amphitheatre, the Arene du Lutece nearby .

On 8/12/2017 at 00:25, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Can only say i was really disappointed with both trips to Paris I've had.

France generally is a superb country but Paris really lets it down once all the romantic shite is out the way. Vastly overpriced and full of absolute filth at every corner.

Other than the fine tour of Parc des Princes and a wee bit of fine architecture i would honestly advise a couple to go elsewhere in Europe.

I got the same experience. Watch out all your properties.  too many pickpockets and Purse-snatchers 

• 4 months later...

Going with my girlfriend next week for a few days. Booked tickets for Disneyland, but other than that have no real plans as to what to get up to.

Would like to go on the Red Bus Tour, but a lassie in my work was saying it was a bit shite (thought these things were all the same?).

Any tips would be smashing.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Going with my girlfriend next week for a few days. Booked tickets for Disneyland, but other than that have no real plans as to what to get up to.

Would like to go on the Red Bus Tour, but a lassie in my work was saying it was a bit shite (thought these things were all the same?).

Stay somewhere around the 6th or 7th arrondissement and you'll be able to walk pretty much everywhere touristy.  Learn to love the carafe of wine - God's own serving suggestion.  Avoid the areas around major sports stadia.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I'd buy a metro pass for a few days, its ridiculously efficient. The bus takes in the sights, but I preferred to go via the metro as the station entrances themselves were sometimes a work of art. As for places to go, I'd definitely recommend the Gardens of Luxembourg and Sacre Couer although keep an eye on your wallet at the latter as I saw someones iPad being half-inched last time I was there. The Perl Lachaise cemetery has the graves of Edith Piaf, Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde and Moilere and although it fascinating me, my missus thought it was a bit macabre. 

The usual Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre are worth a visit, but usually heaving. Everyone has a different experience as its so huge, but its worth doing as much as you can.

Disneyland Paris is par for the course, very expensive for scran but the rides are pretty cool. Head underneath the castle to see the dragon chained up.

Cheers gents, that's good information.  We're staying in the 17th arrondissement, went for a hotel which had a spa as you obviously don't want to go on holiday somewhere that you can't go for a sauna...

Expected pickpockets to be rife so will be wary when we're out.  

I think I'll suggest a trip to The Perl Lachaise , sort of thing sounds right up my street.  Been reading through the Money Saver link someone posted above, some good hints and tips in there.  Going to download a few apps before we go to try and assist in getting around and not miss loads of quality things.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Cheers gents, that's good information.  We're staying in the 17th arrondissement, went for a hotel which had a spa as you obviously don't want to go on holiday somewhere that you can't go for a sauna...

Expected pickpockets to be rife so will be wary when we're out.  

I think I'll suggest a trip to The Perl Lachaise , sort of thing sounds right up my street.  Been reading through the Money Saver link someone posted above, some good hints and tips in there.  Going to download a few apps before we go to try and assist in getting around and not miss loads of quality things.

16th & 17th Arr. are nice areas. Nice bars & cafes. As others have said the metro is the way to zip about the city. Very efficient.