As far as I can see with regard to signings:

1) generally guys signed on pre contracts are decent

2) generally close season signings rank as "the earlier the better"

3). exception to 2) are loan signings where the best are usually in August

If the above is true then one or two clubs who are well short of a full squad may be stuffed?

Anyone disagree?

Would disagree on point two, in an ideal world you'd like to get your players in earlier, however the players willing to sign on earlier in the window are the ones a bit more desperate.

Seen M'voto and McManus as proof for us, usually the better players and signings are more willing and able to hold out for better offers.

Or with the way the window works as the better teams buy players it leads to them releasing squad players who can be key players in the division below, Ian McShane will be a good signing for someone in this division I reckon. There will be more Premiership players/lower league English players that only become available when their present club brings in a replacement.

25 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Would disagree on point two, in an ideal world you'd like to get your players in earlier, however the players willing to sign on earlier in the window are the ones a bit more desperate.

Seen M'voto and McManus as proof for us, usually the better players and signings are more willing and able to hold out for better offers.

Or with the way the window works as the better teams buy players it leads to them releasing squad players who can be key players in the division below, Ian McShane will be a good signing for someone in this division I reckon. There will be more Premiership players/lower league English players that only become available when their present club brings in a replacement.

Hopefully that is our ploy as we still have space for 3/4 so hopefully by playing the patience game we can get in Thomson/McShane types. Good players who may take their time to weigh up their options, but who ultimately come nearer the close of the window may be more willing to make a decision

If the above is true then one or two clubs who are well short of a full squad may be stuffed?
Anyone disagree?

On point 2 we signed Craig Pettigrew in May, and Alan Martin in August. That blows that out the window.

This has been a long pre-season on here...!

8 hours ago, Tonsilitis said:

Anyone disagree?

We signed Dobbie right at the end of the window. Hes not on loan and has a two year deal

Close the thread

31 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We signed Dobbie right at the end of the window. Hes not on loan and has a two year deal

Close the thread

I take the point but:

1 - We didn't sign him at the end of the window per se. We signed him on 3rd August. Granted that's late for the OP's point but it's nearly a month before the window closes.

2 - He had been in England training with an English club. I think the point is invalid for those coming up from there as they are generally not even free agents until July and go back for pre-season later. He should have listed players up from England as another "exception".

The first two points, though clearly sweeping generalisations, are also true. The better free agents have more competition for their services and tend to be signed up pretty early. Other exceptions though are those who are trying to win deals in the Premiership but don't get one so drop down to a Championship club late in the window and those who are not free agents but "free to go" from their current club who can afford to hold out and be more choosy about where they go as they are still getting paid by their current club meantime (like for instance Ian McShane as mentioned by Grant).

Callum Elliot signed a pre-contract with Livi and ended up being shite for Raith instead. Darren Miller was one of our first signings under Aitken and didn't play a minute of competitive football before being punted. Ryan Stevenson was signed up early, punted by January. The list is most likely endless.

Who else was signed on a pre-contract this summer aside from Robert Thomson? It's a total "look at how great Morton are for doing things early" brag.

None of my notes are hard and fast rules and there are always exceptions. As the transfer window progresses, the pool of available players diminishes so clubs still looking are fishing in a smaller pool.

lending clubs, on the other hand, usually make their minds up about who is available to lend towards the end of the window, usually August as their own first team squad settles down.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Callum Elliot signed a pre-contract with Livi and ended up being shite for Raith instead. Darren Miller was one of our first signings under Aitken and didn't play a minute of competitive football before being punted. Ryan Stevenson was signed up early, punted by January. The list is most likely endless.

Who else was signed on a pre-contract this summer aside from Robert Thomson? It's a total "look at how great Morton are for doing things early" brag.

Andy Stirling was signed on a pre-contract a few weeks after Robert Thompson was. The two clubs just agreed to keep it quiet until the end of the season.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

That covers it nicely.

Tonsillitis, you've obviously got a right to post wherever and whatever you like, but I can't help feeling you should wind it in a bit.

Posting on the board is fine and when you're revealing information that's okay to be in the public domain which people wouldn't know such as Barr's wage not coming from the first-team budget it's good to have you on here, but recently you've reacted to fans of other clubs saying they don't rate one of our signings (you then used his goalscoring record in friendlies as a counter-argument) and now this thread which is a thinly-veiled 'look how brilliant Morton are' exercise. While it's not quite inappropriate it wouldn't exactly be advisable behaviour for an ordinary employee of the club, never mind a director.

10 hours ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

We need football back these threads are getting worse and worse

Haha yes, they really are and it's always that Tonsilitis lad who starts many of them. The posts always seem to be intended for general discussion to fans of all teams but bascially feel like "comment on Morton's signings please", relentless.

43 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

That covers it nicely.

Tonsillitis, you've obviously got a right to post wherever and whatever you like, but I can't help feeling you should wind it in a bit.

Posting on the board is fine and when you're revealing information that's okay to be in the public domain which people wouldn't know such as Barr's wage not coming from the first-team budget it's good to have you on here, but recently you've reacted to fans of other clubs saying they don't rate one of our signings (you then used his goalscoring record in friendlies as a counter-argument) and now this thread which is a thinly-veiled 'look how brilliant Morton are' exercise. While it's not quite inappropriate it wouldn't exactly be advisable behaviour for an ordinary employee of the club, never mind a director.

Ach, cut the guy some slack. He's just a supporter and excited about the coming season like we all are. Not often we are in this shape for the start of the season (which in itself worries me a little)

He's not 'just a supporter'; as he likes to point out whenever puffing up the club's projects, he is a member of Morton's board of directors. So peddling utter shite on the Internet is unprofessional conduct.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

He's not 'just a supporter'; as he likes to point out whenever puffing up the club's projects, he is a member of Morton's board of directors. So peddling utter shite on the Internet is unprofessional conduct.

He's debating football, that's what supporters do. No harm in it at all...

Both times we have won the first division in recent(ish) times, we brought in strikers very late in the window who helped turn us from probable also-rans to title contenders and eventual title winners. Basher in 1999 and Sutton (with Adam) in 2005.

I'm not saying I believe this will happen to us again, but it does kinda pish all over the 'late signings are no good' theory.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Bit pedantic but our late window strikers in 1999 were Paeslack and McKnight. There was no transfer windows to close until April in 1999/2000. ;)

FFS :lol:

Yeah, it's a fair cop. I meant late in the summer.

Archived