Summerslam 2017: Aug 20th

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we've finally arrived at the the biggest event of the summer after a stretch of poor PPV's. For the first time since WrestleMania you'll get to see all of the top stars on one show, a dual branded PPV taking place on Sunday 20th August. As one of the big four, we have special start times, 10PM for the two hours Pre-Show and at Midnight the four hours Main Show will commence. For the 3rd year in a row this will take place at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. This is the 30th SummerSlam PPV.

Just a few little stats:

• Brock Lesnar will main event SummerSlam for the 5th time in the past 6.
  • John Cena has not won at SummerSlam since 2010 as part of Team WWE against The Nexus. He hasn't won a singles match since 2007 against Randy Orton.
  • As it stands Braun Strowman, Samoa Joe, Jinder Mahal, Shinsuke Nakamura, Baron Corbin, Jason Jordan, Bo Dallas & Curtis Axel & Akira Tozawa will make their SummerSlam debut.
  • There have been two MITB cash-ins at SummerSlam before. Most recently Randy Orton cashing in on Daniel Bryan in 2013.

Confirmed Matches:

The Hardy Boyz &.Jason Jordan vs The Miz & The Miztourage (Kickoff Match).

Akira Tozawa (C) vs Neville for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship (Kickoff Match).

The New Day (C) vs The Usos for the WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship (Kickoff Match).

Big Show vs Big Cass. Enzo Amore to be suspended above the ring in a shark cage.

Naomi (C) vs Natalya for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship.

Randy Orton vs Rusev.

Alexa Bliss (C) vs Sasha Banks for the WWE Raw Women's Championship.

"The Demon" Finn Balor vs Bray Wyatt.

John Cena vs Baron Corbin.

Cesaro and Sheamus (C) vs Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins for the WWE Raw Tag Team Championship.

AJ Styles (C) vs Kevin Owens for the WWE United States Championship. Shane McMahon will be the special guest referee.

Jinder Mahal (C) vs Shinsuke Nakamura for the WWE Championship.

Brock Lesnar (C) vs Roman Reigns vs Samoa Joe vs Braun Strowman for the WWE Universal Championship. If Brock Lesnar loses, he will leave WWE.

The official theme is:

20170814_SS_SSlam_HardysJordanMiz--2e56afa1d530ed249211c16096cbd041.jpg

20170801_SS_SSlam_NevToz2--60c7f36142cdd7ab081cbd93652c1c5c.jpg

20170804_SS_SSlam_NewDayUsos--2ccf48c07713151570967aed6988bd87.jpg

20170804_SS_SSlam_BigShowCass--ba96624cadebfb2d6ce1a22ee8a2b797.jpg

20170731_SS_SSlam_NaomiNatayla--871ad57fb2a863ce1a292b41653a6aa6.jpg

20170801_SS_SSlam_OrtonRusev--9064e7c7ec0761267b70be6d90fdd517.jpg

20170814_SS_SSlam_AlexaSasha--e8178b53c008a76a02aad7dcf76b1fd3.jpg

20170804_SS_SSlam_FinnWyatt2--44d38a47c16b57cc80dec232a1b5d735.jpg

20170804_SS_SSlam_CenaCorbin--f723a9acce70580c86f091f1142cd00a.jpg

20170814_SS_SSlam_RAW_TagMatch--c937e6324ced55c96110093d1fa4d4d4.jpg

20170801_SS_SSlam_AJKo--460a6f3faabb5f091bc9b1b63f2e7861.jpg

20170801_SS_SSlam_JinderNaka--5d7a2cf701d39e72d42ac4d632796316.jpg

20170731_SS_SSlam_Fatal4--7dec79a691fa2ddf3843ba77dcdfd546.jpg

SummerSlam_2017.jpeg.bb8cd94fe340f2200ee4374ad5efa504.jpeg

There's no way I'm doing a write up for this, there's gonna be too many matches, I'd rather not break another thread. 

Bayley appeared to get injured on Raw so her status is up in the air right now. Hope John Cena is okay as well after the nasty bump on SDLive. 

Just watching the main event of last year's show when Lesnar decided to go ham on Randy Orton's head.  What a missed opportunity that was - I remember watching it thinking we were going to get something out of it, with Lesnar becoming a bit more unhinged, or at least him being a bit more interesting in the ring.  Maybe even a spot-fest at WM where he threw Shane around for 15 minutes.  Did we get anything really?  Apart from Orton getting the title as reward for being opened up?

4 hours ago, forameus said:

Just watching the main event of last year's show when Lesnar decided to go ham on Randy Orton's head.  What a missed opportunity that was - I remember watching it thinking we were going to get something out of it, with Lesnar becoming a bit more unhinged, or at least him being a bit more interesting in the ring.  Maybe even a spot-fest at WM where he threw Shane around for 15 minutes.  Did we get anything really?  Apart from Orton getting the title as reward for being opened up?

We got the Goldberg match at Mania which I enjoyed but he's gone stale, just doing the same week in, week out.

6 hours ago, TheGoon said:

We got the Goldberg match at Mania which I enjoyed but he's gone stale, just doing the same week in, week out.

But even that wasn't really as a result of the Summerslam match (although I did hear the crowd chant his name thinking he was going to interfere).  The Goldberg first match was a shock, and the WM match was good, but the angle itself start to finish was a bit meh.  What a waste.

6 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Wouldn't expect him there until next summer. I reckon he retains. If not then I'm not sure what they do with him up until Mania. Surprise Rumble entrant perhaps but that's a long time to be out for.

Is it though?  Lesnar's shown he's quite happy to go off for a long period of time.  Even if he retains, he'll be gone for a few months at least.

I'd have him drop the title and make good on his promise to "leave".  Kayfabe of course, and after spending a few months training he returns at either Survivor Series or the Rumble to start another feud.  He then goes to the negotiating table with Vince and tells him that he'll re-sign but only if he gets the Jones fight in UFC.  Lesnar just retaining at this point does absolutely nothing for anyone.

I really don't know how I'm going to sit through all of these matches just to get to the juicy main event. I like both tag title matches and I really hope Owens/Styles can do better than their last couple of efforts but it's got a Shane O Mac screwy finish written all over it. 

Nothing announced for the 2 hour Kickoff Show yet but you'd imagine 2/3 matches will be moved to there.

Important to note Baron Corbin has failed his MITB cash in.

12 matches.  12.  Fucking.  Twelve.  

I know it's 4 hours, and I know they've got a 2 hour pre-show, but how can they book 12 matches and just have so little actually interesting?  Got the Monday off given it's one of the big ones, and I'm sure once it comes around I'll be up for it, but it's not got much hype to it.

Absolutely no surprise the CW match went.  Had they had Neville drop the title on Sunday rather than on Smackdown they might have made it onto the main, but probably still would've put it there to show everyone they really needed to watch.

I don't think the Kickoff show is quite the graveyard it once was.  It's not like the olden days with Sunday Night Heat, today it's more like an extension of the show.  

Archived