Summerslam 2017: Aug 20th

Had a feeling Jinder would win.

Out of interest, what is our ruling on the Styles/Owens match. Would you say Shane assaulted either of them? From my recollection there were a couple of shoves which did lead to roll ups.

*checks prediction thread* naw definitely not. travesty if you claim there's been assault.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That main event > 
New Day vs Usos > 
Braun > 
Cesaro bursting the baw > 
Everything else

Booker T's straight shooting in the main event >

Couldn't stop laughing when he called Roman "the most hated superstar of 2016" and then commentary fell silent as Vince bollocked the commentary team before Corey had to amend it to "most polarising".

Well, that sure was a show...

Pre-show - probably the better part of the 6 hours to be honest.  The first match with Miz etc I didn't really watch closely, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything.  The Cruiserweights match was a bit of a head-scratcher though.  What was the point in having Tozawa win the title on RAW (not even on the actual Cruiserweight show) if he was just going to drop it again after?  Who does that help?  Neville could have become quite interesting as the deranged one chasing, but now he's just back to being king of the cruiserweights again.  What was the point?  Usos/New Day was brilliant once again, and just makes you wonder why they seem to deem them worthy of such a low spot on the card given the matches they've had previously (and given the shite they did end up putting there)

Corbin vs Cena - Hey Baron.  Look, we've been thinking.  You've been a bit of a dick on Twitter recently.  I know, I know.  You're a heel.  We get that.  But we just don't think that naturally being a complete dick is really a good fit for you.  So we'll be punishing you.  What with?  ABLADOOOOO! DO DO DO DOOOOOOOOO!  Aye, it's wee Johnny Cena and he's here to f**k you up.  It was honestly like they had recorded the booking for Cena vs Brock at Summerslam, but managed to tape over the ending with the final moments of Cena vs the Nexus.  Corbin was getting in some good stuff, and had he gone on and really beat the shit out of Cena for a clean win, that would have been a very good story going forward.  Cena doesn't need the win.  I'm not even convinced he'd have particularly argued for it.  By all accounts, he's off to RAW anyway.  An absolutely dreadful decision, and started things off pretty badly.

Naomi vs Natalya - Not that bad, but the whole thing is just a bit confusing.  Naomi is demonstrably the face, and they're now releasing merch around her "put-fairy-lights-on-everything" range.  That's great.  But then along comes Natalya, saying that she's making the title a bit of a joke with all that.  Which is correct.  But she's supposed to be the heel, right?  The roles just seem really mixed up with this one.  Naomi going into this as the newly entitled heel with her equivalent of the spinner belt would have worked, with Natalya the veteran wanting to teach her a lesson.  No problem with the finish, Natalya deserves it after the work she's put in.  Still, it's hardly must-see TV ahead with this story.  The women's division on both brands looks incredibly thin on options at this stage, and there doesn't look to be a huge amount of depth.  They've only really got Asuka on NXT that's worthy, and she's showing no signs of going up.  Hopefully the Mae Young CLassic delivers something new.

Randy Orton vs Rusev - Ha.  Ha ha ha.  There are no words really.  Whatever Rusev has done, I'm not sure it deserves that.  That match didn't help anyone, not Orton, not Rusev, and not the WWE.  I'm actually surprised that a crowd that seemed so desperate to shit all over things didn't react worse to that.  Or maybe they did and I was just too bored to notice.  Poor Rusev.

Big Show vs Big Cass - Well, I never thought I'd watch a WWE wrestler strip down to his pants and lube himself up.  So at least there's that.  More baffling lack of any kind of plan where they take a tag team that continued to be very over, split them up, and then had absolutely no idea what to do.  Cass seems to be being positioned quite well, but Enzo is seemingly there just to get kicked in the head and offer absolutely nothing.  They really need to completely split the two apart and do something different.

Bliss vs Banks - was alright.  Had Alexa and her wonderful arse.  Not sure where they're going to go with this now that Bayley got injured.  They seemed to have a plan there, and I'm not sure they have any idea how to book themselves out of it.  Again, distinct lack of depth outside of the top 4 women.

Balor vs Wyatt - meh.  Nice to see Balor in the paint, but it's starting to lose its luster a bit.  Maybe it's because it's now not used in a huge NXT top-of-the-show match, and in a C-level match with a guy who never wins feuds, but it just seemed a bit half-arsed.  Much like most of the show.  Just a RAW match with extra paint.

Shield 2.0 vs Sheamus and Cesaro - a good match amongst the shit. Not sure we've seen anywhere close to what the 4 are capable of, but hopefully we do next time.  Also interesting to see whether they manage to f**k up this storyline with the reform of the Shield.  they resisted the temptation to get Reigns involved for now, but I can see them hitting the panic button at some point.  A heel faction again would be nice.

Styles vs Owens - very well reviewed from most I've listened to, but I thought it was a bit plodding and predictable.  Shane stumbled around the ring just putting himself from spot to spot.  And there were a whole lot of them.  As a vehicle to end the Owens/Styles feud and transition into an Owens/Shane feud ahead of Hell in a Cell, it most definitely worked.  Would've looked worse on a better show, but it was one of the better matches on this one.

Jinder vs Nakamura - oh dear.  Oh dear, oh dear.  I'll admit, I didn't watch the whole match after tapping out after the previous one this morning, but I did watch the finish, and it wasn't a good one.  I'm not even that annoyed about the result - if you tell the right story, I'll buy that Mahal can beat Nakamura.  If you use a carbon copy of two other finishes for title matches, I won't buy it.  I actually feel quite sorry for him at the moment - he's been thrown into a situation where he really can't win, purely to flog the product in his home country.  He's probably doing the best he can with his green promo skills, but he isn't being helped with the writing.  Sounds like Nakamura had a bit of a stinker too, but probably hard to get yourself up for it when you know you're going to be made to look like a chump.  He goes after the Singh brothers, even though he kayfabe knows that his opponent has already defended his title twice when his opponent got distracted in that way.  Awful.  I think they're very lucky they put this on second-to-last, because if there wasn't a hot main event to come, the expressions on the faces of the crowd suggested they were not happy.  And not in a "oh damn the heel won" kind of unhappy.  Philly Royal Rumble unhappy.

Fatal Four Way - saved the show really, right up until the finish.  I find Brock Lesnar boring.  I used to be quite happy with watching his matches, as I thought I could never get bored with watching him pick up guys and literally throw them across the ring.  Watching him manhandle Cena didn't lead to a good match, but it was an amazing spectacle.  His match at WM31 with Reigns was brilliant.  Watching him then chase the title against Rollins, going after a car with two axes and then throwing a car door into the crowd was great.  Now though?  He's just a guy who turns up every few months, has a ten minute (if we're lucky) match and then leaves with the title.  The match last night wasn't great because of him.  They even let him have a wee rest half-way through, and I still don't think he really gave out enough offence to really sell the finish.  Strowman went on a wonderful tear, breaking every table he could find, tossing chairs, and yet one spear was enough to put him down for long enough for Brock to come in and Brock.  When they talked about him leaving if he lost, I honestly thought we were going to get something good.  Maybe it was the long-game story-wise, and he'd eventually return for something really good.   But no, he won, and now he'll disappear for a few months while still holding the title, leaving all the other main eventers fighting over nothing.  The match itself though was very good.  I'd have liked them to make it slightly longer and chain together the spots a little less.  It felt like they were just queueing up to get into position at time, rather than something more natural.  If Brock didn't want to work too much you could still keep him out of most of it.  On that show though, it was easily the best match of the night.

SummerSlam needed more Alexa Bliss.

All the matches were a bit meh. I havent watched in a while and can see why. Big Show match and having Enzo there was near pointless unless they used the height of show or Cass to pull the cage down which would have been more entertaining. Looked away for a minute and Orton match was over so pointless minute filler to sell a couple extra tickets. Balor match finish was a bit rubbish. Fatal 4 Way wasent that bad but seen the winner beofre watching which maybe ruined it a tad. see what happens to Shield 2.0 and how that goes down.

Put this shit on after I got in from work and just finished it. Surprised its still Monday.

On the whole a pretty rotten show. Just how ill is Vince?

Won't go over everything but just add a few comments. Cena looked like he wasn't really taking it all that seriously with his dickish merch hawking and general clowning around. Borin Corbin is dire though so got the treatment.

Is Vince mad that Rusev is pumping Lana? Can't think what else would get the Genetic Jackhammer so wound up as to bury Rusev so badly. We didn't even get to hear his music! Didn't do Orton any good either.

The worst part about the Show/Cass match wasn't the plodding, dull nature of it; it was Enzo constantly talking shit throughout. Just shut up you wee fanny.

Naomi is shit and glad to see her beaten. Her whole glow stuff is nonsense and she's a shit dancer.

Looks like Shane hurt himself for real on the 460 he took from Styles.

Jinder is possibly even more boring than Borin Corbin and Randy Boreton. A waste of a match.

Main event was huge fun but as someone said did feel a lot like they were all just queuing up for spots rather than linking an actual match together. My favourite bit was probably when Braun just launched a chair at Joe's puss. Agree that Lesnar is dull now. He can't seem to do anything except punch, suplex, kimura and F5. He seems to blow up very quickly as well in his matches.

Archived