Taking amateur football "seriously"

Snakebite

I have just rejoined an amateur team after some time not playing. We played our first pre-season game on Sunday and lost 1-0, disappointing, but big deal, its amateur football and it wasn't even a competitive game. To me, I take it serious and give my best when I am there on the park, but its fun at the end of the day, no one is playing for money, its a love of the game if anything. I and everyone else gives up their free time to take part.

The whole team has just had a text from the gaffer tonight, who is a total cabbage of a guy in my opinion, bombarding us about demanding people treat the game more seriously because we lost to a team whom their manager is someone he personally doesn't like and we all need time to "reflect" in his words. Training sessions are very boring and turning myself and a lot of lads who just want to enjoy the game no doubt back to picking our arses on the couch. This is not the first time I have experienced this in amateur or previously, in boys club football.

It feels to me like the game is packed with people at grassroots level, who do nothing to help people enjoy the game. I can only speak from my personal experience obviously, but how else do other people feel the amateur game is in terms of fun and participation versus the main aim of winning games?

Towards the end of my playing days, I turned out for a Sunday pub league team. We were pub league in the truest sense of the term in that most of us were out of shape, usually hungover and really, just getting a bit of fresh air before hitting the bar at lunchtime. We lost far more games than we won and I never noticed any Real Madrid scouts on the touchline but it was good fun and allowed me to pretend I was an athlete for a while longer.

But then another lad joined the team who played every game as if it were the Champions League final; chasing down every ball, shouting commands and running round in a fury for most of the game. Which would have been OK if he hadn't expected the rest of us to do the same because that was never going to happen. Most of the games devolved into him screaming insults at the rest of us and I often wondered why he didn't just go and play for a more competitive team. In the end though, it was me that left because I couldn't be bothered dealing with his abuse on a weekly basis.

The point I'm sort of getting at is that as sctv notes; there are other teams which will be more suited to your interest and commitment level so making a switch might be the best move. At the end of the day, there are enough things in life we do because we have to. Football should be something we do for fun.

When I played personally if I got beat I didn't enjoy it ruined my weekend. Your either a winner or not simple as that. Sounds like the club your at have a different mindset from yourself probably best finding another team that just want to turn up and play no ambition to go on and win leagues cups etc. 

When I played personally if I got beat I didn't enjoy it ruined my weekend. Your either a winner or not simple as that. Sounds like the club your at have a different mindset from yourself probably best finding another team that just want to turn up and play no ambition to go on and win leagues cups etc. 

Or go play bowls on a Sunday

If your no interested in winning go to another team that suits ur needs and style. Calling the manager a cabbage for being hurt after getting beat is wrong . There's plenty good guys running teams and 99.99% don't get paid for it but 100% of the managers are passionate in there own way. My advice is join another team

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Towards the end of my playing days, I turned out for a Sunday pub league team. We were pub league in the truest sense of the term in that most of us were out of shape, usually hungover and really, just getting a bit of fresh air before hitting the bar at lunchtime. We lost far more games than we won and I never noticed any Real Madrid scouts on the touchline but it was good fun and allowed me to pretend I was an athlete for a while longer.

But then another lad joined the team who played every game as if it were the Champions League final; chasing down every ball, shouting commands and running round in a fury for most of the game. Which would have been OK if he hadn't expected the rest of us to do the same because that was never going to happen. Most of the games devolved into him screaming insults at the rest of us and I often wondered why he didn't just go and play for a more competitive team. In the end though, it was me that left because I couldn't be bothered dealing with his abuse on a weekly basis.

The point I'm sort of getting at is that as sctv notes; there are other teams which will be more suited to your interest and commitment level so making a switch might be the best move. At the end of the day, there are enough things in life we do because we have to. Football should be something we do for fun.

I often think guys like this play for teams they, "perceive", to be beneath their talents to act the big fish in a small pool, and the likelihood is they would be told to, "Do one", if they moved up a level.

To call the gaffer a total cabbage because he didn't like the attitude of the team, who don't mind losing by the sounds of it, is a bit strange to me. If this is your opinion of him then maybe you should think about moving to a team that more suits your needs. Coming on a public forum and calling out your manager is a bit of a cabbage move imo.

Personally don't see the point in turning up if you aren't bothered about the end result ... i play amateur because it's the level I can play . Doesn't mean I'm not bothered about winning or losing . Judging by your post your the one with an attitude problem , and calling your gaffer a cabbage proves it . Your post is shite infact , utter bollocks

Irregardless of whether you are there to have fun or not everyone wants to win and you need to also factor in that Manager has spent a lot of time probably planning out friendlies etc to get an idea of his team for season ahead, to call him a cabbage for hurting after a defeat is a poor show, be difficult finding a team where no one wants to win 

21 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I have just rejoined an amateur team after some time not playing. We played our first pre-season game on Sunday and lost 1-0, disappointing, but big deal, its amateur football and it wasn't even a competitive game. To me, I take it serious and give my best when I am there on the park, but its fun at the end of the day, no one is playing for money, its a love of the game if anything. I and everyone else gives up their free time to take part.

The whole team has just had a text from the gaffer tonight, who is a total cabbage of a guy in my opinion, bombarding us about demanding people treat the game more seriously because we lost to a team whom their manager is someone he personally doesn't like and we all need time to "reflect" in his words. Training sessions are very boring and turning myself and a lot of lads who just want to enjoy the game no doubt back to picking our arses on the couch. This is not the first time I have experienced this in amateur or previously, in boys club football.

It feels to me like the game is packed with people at grassroots level, who do nothing to help people enjoy the game. I can only speak from my personal experience obviously, but how else do other people feel the amateur game is in terms of fun and participation versus the main aim of winning games?

I think this is maybe the wrong site to start this discussion, its full of people passionate about amatuer football. 

I'm sure everyone wants and sets out to have a successful season. For some that success will be judged on different factors, but if you don't have the hunger or desire then maybe just play fives with your mates 

Diplomatic as ever Michael. lol.  Don,t think the lad has an understanding of the amount of work required behind the scenes to run a football club wether it be  pro, junior, amateur or even 5,z for that matter. Think the big yin would be better off at Asda way the wife, soon wish he took it more seriously lol

10 hours ago, Michael Kennedy said:

I think this is maybe the wrong site to start this discussion, its full of people passionate about amatuer football. 

I'm sure everyone wants and sets out to have a successful season. For some that success will be judged on different factors, but if you don't have the hunger or desire then maybe just play fives with your mates 

If you're just there for a laugh and a joke then I'd suggest taking up walking football or try and get a game of fives through the week.

I've played against hundreds of amateur teams of varying levels of quality but one thing I can't knock is the desire and competiveness of virtually every team I've played against.

Managers (and players) aren't giving up there Saturday's and free time during the week if they don't want to get a result at the end of the day. 

On 12/07/2017 at 01:05, Snakebite said:

You should do your manager a favour and tell him you won't be back. 

A fucking hated losing when I played, was probably the crabbitest player ever but didn't see any point in playing if not winning I even hated losing in training. Like the rest of the lads said u maybe have the wrong hobby. Get a ps 4 n fifa mate

The OP says he just wants to enjoy playing football as it's only amateur. I have never enjoyed losing at anything , presumably everyone who plays a competitive sport is the same. If u don't like the way your current manager runs the team maybe a change of scenery would help. Although don't see many managers not caring if their team loses.

Well if I was you I would give up , I certainly wouldn't want anyone with your attitude coming in poisoning a squad ... people put a lot of effort to make there teams as competitive as they can , but ultimately when you step over that white line it's up to the guys on the park , attitude is something we can all work on , ability is another subject [emoji23]

a lot of people having a go at the OP, maybe his manager isnt in the right team, there are plenty of teams out there who simply want to play football for the love of playing football, they obviously want to win but if they lose they wont beat themselves up about it, infact im sure there is one league based in glasgow that was recently set up for teams of this nature

the guys says he gives it his all when he's on the park, if it turns out he's simply not good enough to beat his opponents then what else can he do, sitting in a stinking modd wont make him a better player by now,

im a dour faced greeting c**t when i lose, but if others arent then so be it,

a lot of people having a go at the OP, maybe his manager isnt in the right team, there are plenty of teams out there who simply want to play football for the love of playing football, they obviously want to win but if they lose they wont beat themselves up about it, infact im sure there is one league based in glasgow that was recently set up for teams of this nature
the guys says he gives it his all when he's on the park, if it turns out he's simply not good enough to beat his opponents then what else can he do, sitting in a stinking modd wont make him a better player by now,
im a dour faced greeting c**t when i lose, but if others arent then so be it,

Suppose it's about self pride at the end of the day ....

Archived