• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We look like a stronger team, signed in the right areas and some of the younger guys massively benefitted from a year in the league below. Mullen looks like he's raring to go from the start and having Alexander in goals is a massive bonus, likely to win us a few points over the season

Weaker. But our squads not finished. I'm definitely worried if we start picking up injuries, we've signed a lot of players with a history of injury and if they were all to fall victim to them again we'd be lucky to field a 7s team. The last few signings we make will be crucial, IMO.

We are weaker. We've lost Davis, Mallan and Loy and have yet to replace with anywhere near the same quality. We've also suffered the short-term loss of Magennis, who was expected to slot into Mallan's position alongside McGinn.

I get the impression that most the 'permanent' business has been done, so I think we are into the realms of hoping we find a couple of real gems on the massive lottery that is the loan market.

Need a CM and a CF, and probably another CH. The summer started pretty well but now I've got the fear.

It's very good of us to keep the league competitive by refusing to just moneyball our way to the title. :unsure2:

For us I think it's quite hard to say. We should be weaker since we've lost Sibbald and Leahy 2 real quality players and not replaced them yet but I think we'll end up being stronger.

Obviously Rory Loy is a massive improvement on Baird and McHugh, Alex Harris can't be any worse than Fraser Aird and despite Danny Rogers we're not any weaker in goals with Robbie Thomson just as good imo.

Peter Grant was injured last pre-season and it showed as he just didn't get back his performance levels from 15-16 season so this should hopefully be him starting to really get back to the player he was and after a slow start Nathan Austin managed to force his way into the team for the final third of last season and with that experience now he'll be a massive player for us this year.

9 minutes ago, Russ said:

For us I think it's quite hard to say. We should be weaker since we've lost Sibbald and Leahy 2 real quality players and not replaced them yet but I think we'll end up being stronger.

Obviously Rory Loy is a massive improvement on Baird and McHugh, Alex Harris can't be any worse than Fraser Aird and despite Danny Rogers we're not any weaker in goals with Robbie Thomson just as good imo.

Peter Grant was injured last pre-season and it showed as he just didn't get back his performance levels from 15-16 season so this should hopefully be him starting to really get back to the player he was and after a slow start Nathan Austin managed to force his way into the team for the final third of last season and with that experience now he'll be a massive player for us this year.

Can't argue with any of that. hopefully Gasparotto will kick on as well and it's going to be a massive season for Tony Gallacher taking over at LB, probably the highest rated young player we've had in a while but didn't perform when put into the first team last year (to be fair the whole team was poor during hat time).

For some reason I think we might be a wee but stronger as I think our attacking potential has improved. I also think young O'Hara could have a big season for us off the bench.

I think big Peter, Luca and McKee will benefit from the pre-season and Harris cannot be an worse than Aird. If as expected Sibbs goes you would like to think Houstie will bring another in with Stanton being the name mentioned.

I'd like to change the card.

Bruce was in the same class at school as M'Voto.

We still need four (according to the manager, not just plucking that out of the air) outfield players. Obviously the removal of Reilly, Hutton and Moffat from the squad has strengthened us immensely.

Losing Martin, Buchanan, Stirling, Stanton and Thomson left us with some major gaps to fill right throughout the team. I'm happy with Scott Gallacher in for Martin (I don't think he's quite as good, but he should do a decent job, and isn't Mark Brown). If we can keep him fit then Craig Barr should be a fantastic replacement for Gregor Buchanan. More than happy with that. We've seemingly gone for either Tom Walsh or Chris Johnston to replace Andy Stirling as our main wide creator. Walsh is a decent player, as we know from last time, but Johnston is a gamble. Given Stirling was pretty hopeless for half a season, then absolutely sensational for the other half, one of them have a decent, consistent season should be enough to fill his gap. Nobody will be able to replace Stanton imo, so we're obviously weaker there. David Wilson appears to be his direct replacement, but doesn't look like too similar a player, and is pretty unproven at any level. 

Upfront (or actually as our wide target-man to be more precise) we haven't replaced Robert Thomson, and are badly in need of a big striker with a bit of pace. Jordan Allan has been in on trial, and looked handy on Saturday, but whether or not he can repeat that in the next two friendlies remains to be seen. Mark Stewart gives us something different compared to what we had last season though, so that's a nice option to have.

Barr being replaced by Dowie looks fairly like for like, and if we can get Penrice in (as has been strongly rumoured) then he should slot in nicely in place of Daniel Harvie.

As The Moonster says we've still got a lot of work to do, so it's not surprising we're looking weaker now than before. Our use of the loan market in recent years has been excellent, so I'd imagine a few quality loanees, will have us in quite a good shape. Certainly better than this time last year, if not quite as strong as we were after January.

Up top we are considerably stronger, we only really had Quitongo and Oliver as first choice strikers last season, with back up of Oyenuga, Scullion and Shankland now we have - Quitongo, Oliver, McHugh, Thomson and apparently have Dylan Bikey on trial, so a massive difference up front. If we can add a centre half a centre mid in the mould of Jamie Lindsay, someone on our forum suggested Joe Thomson on loan from Celtic, and a 'keeper to rival Gaston for the jersey, then I think we will have another really good season. 

Squad wise we are weaker at the moment but apparently are still due another 3 signings which may well improve things.

We've improved our goalkeeper but I'm not convinced about our defence (although it did need tinkered)

Midfield and up front are pretty much the same as last season.

I'd still see us finishing 5th-7th currently.

Man for man we're certainly weaker than we ended last season but (hopefully) stronger than we started it.

I reckon there's still another two or three to come in though, they'll have to be crackers, though or I reckon the season could result in us fizzing around the middle of the table trying to get into the playoffs.

As mentioned we are undoubtedly stronger up front.

We need to get another midfielder in and another central defender.

Gaston has been getting a bit of criticism for his under par performances last season. I still believe Gaston is a great keeper but we can't go through another season guaranteeing him his place no matter how he's playing. We need proper competition for the keepers jersey so anyone who steps in deserves their place.  

We've lost three central midfielders two strikers and left winger and a defender and replaced them with a central defender one midfielder and a striker. Overall we are weaker and lack a right back and decent proven central midfielder. We also have limited backup in nearly all positions.

I get that we still will sign some players but at the end of last season we had a 1-11 capable of beating anyone on their day with the only real weak point our right back and lack of cover.

Currently if we put out the same side as the one that played Hibs I wouldn't be confident of beating anyone apart from Brechin.

Archived